Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Stowaway Found on Plane May
Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Jan 24, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Stowaway Found on Plane May Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Man discovered in Amsterdam survived flight that originated in South Africa
- A cargo flight that originated in South Africa had a surprise waiting on board when it finally landed in Amsterdam: a guy hidden in the plane's wheel section, still alive after what may have been 11 hours in the air, per ABC News . "The man was found alive...
Researchers May Have
Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
A 6-year investigation suggests the culprit was a fellow Jew in Amsterdam: Arnold van den Bergh
- It's a question that has long vexed historians: Who gave up Anne Frank and her family to the Nazis? Now, a six-year investigation suggests the culprit has finally been identified. Researchers say the "most likely scenario" is that a man named Arnold van den Bergh, who was Jewish...
Dutch Royals Won't Use
Controversial Golden Coach
Jan 14, 2022 8:16 AM CST
Dutch Royals Won't Use Controversial Golden Coach
At least for the time being, due to its ties to Netherlands' colonial past, slave trade
- On Thursday the Dutch king ruled out using, for now at least, the royal family's "Golden Carriage." One side of the carriage bears a painting that critics say glorifies the Netherlands' colonial past, including its role in the global slave trade. The announcement was an acknowledgement of...
Anti-5G Pendants Turn Out
to Be Radioactive
Dec 18, 2021 1:10 PM CST
Anti-5G Pendants Turn Out to Be Radioactive
Dutch nuclear officials warn against wearing pendants, bracelets
- People who wear “negative ion” pendants to protect themselves from 5G waves have gone out of the nonexistent fire and into the very real frying pan. There’s zero scientific evidence that 5G cellular service, which isn’t especially different from 3G and 4G, is at all harmful. But...
Royal Family: Sorry for
Princess's Birthday Bash
Dec 16, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Royal Family: Sorry for Princess's Birthday Bash
Dutch heir Amalia welcomed 21 guests for celebration amid rising COVID-19 cases
- The Dutch royal family says it regrets hosting an 18th birthday party for future queen Princess Amalia amid rising cases of COVID-19. Prime Minister Mark Rutte says 21 people attended Saturday's party in the gardens of the Huis ten Bosch royal palace in the Hague, where canopies were erected...
Couple Arrested After
Leaving Quarantine Hotel
Nov 29, 2021 2:39 PM CST
Couple Arrested After Leaving Quarantine Hotel
They tested positive after arriving in Amsterdam from South Africa Friday
- Dutch military police arrested a husband and wife Sunday who had left a hotel where they were being quarantined after testing positive for COVID-19 and boarded a plane to fly home to Spain. A spokeswoman for the local security authority that covers Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport said Monday that an...
This Airport's Secret Weapon
Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Nov 29, 2021 1:28 PM CST
This Airport's Secret Weapon Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Officials hope the pigs will eat enough sugar beet near Amsterdam's Schiphol hub to fend off geese
- No one wants their plane to fly into a flock of birds during takeoff, and at one of the Netherlands' busiest hubs, they've come up with a most creative approach to try to prevent such an event. A six-week project has been launched that has stuck pigs on a...
Nov 28, 2021 12:50 PM CST
Netherlands Starts 12-Hour Lockdowns
Restrictions were extended before latest variant was discovered
- The Netherlands moved into a tougher lockdown Sunday that was announced even before the country recorded its first confirmed cases of the new omicron virus variant. Bars, restaurants, nonessential stores, cinemas, and theaters are among the public places now forced to shut from 5pm until 5am, the AP reports. Wilko...
2 Planes Flew in From South
Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Nov 27, 2021 9:15 AM CST
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Dutch authorities are now testing passengers to see if they have worrisome omicron variant
- Two flights arrived in the Netherlands on Friday, bearing some 600 passengers from South Africa, and also a good number of COVID cases—and those people are now being tested to see if they've got the newly emerging omicron variant . Reuters reports that 61 of the flights' passengers who...
Protest on COVID Restrictions
Turns City Into 'War Zone'
Nov 20, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Protest on COVID Restrictions Turns City Into 'War Zone'
Police fire on demonstrators in Dutch city of Rotterdam; 2 rioters hospitalized
- Police opened fire on protesters in rioting that erupted in downtown Rotterdam around a demonstration against COVID-19 restrictions late Friday night, with the Dutch city's mayor calling it "an orgy of violence." Police said two rioters were hospitalized after being hit by bullets, and investigations were underway...
'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Nov 13, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Protesters Confront 'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Demonstrations have gone on for a decade against controversial Dutch sidekick to Santa
- About 100 anti-racism protesters chanted "Kick out Black Pete!" on Saturday at an event where children could meet the Dutch version of Santa Claus and his controversial sidekick. The "Black Pete" character, often played by adults wearing blackface makeup, has sparked a decade of demonstrations and counterdemonstrations...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
During Pandemic, This Nation's
Economy Takes Top Billing
Sep 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
During Pandemic, This Nation's Economy Takes Top Billing
Switzerland is No. 1 on WIPO's Global Innovation Index for 132 economies around the world
- To get through something like a pandemic, countries have had to innovate—especially when it comes to keeping their economies humming. And there are "reasons to be optimistic" on that front, according to one of the editors of the World Intellectual Property Organization's annual Global Innovation Index , which...
Politician Arrested, Released
in Fears Over Plot to Kill PM
Sep 28, 2021 2:21 PM CDT
Politician Arrested, Released in Fears Over Plot to Kill PM
Former far-right politician who converted to Islam detained
- A politician in the Netherlands was arrested for acting suspiciously and, according to his lawyer, “plotting to kill” Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte. Arnoud van Doorn, was picked up but released without charges on Monday, Politico reports. Van Doorn says he was in the same neighborhood in the Hague—...
Boy Wanting to
See Sick Grandma
Fight in Court
Sep 24, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Boy Wanting to See Sick Grandma Wins Vaccine Fight in Court
12-year-old Dutch boy's dad didn't want him to get it; a judge ruled in favor of the boy
- A tween in the Netherlands who wanted to see his sick grandma knew it would be safer for her if he got his COVID shot first, but his father refused to let him get vaccinated. So the boy took matters into his own hands—and took his dad to court....
The Paintings Remain Missing,
but Authorities Say There's DNA
Sep 22, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
The Paintings Remain Missing, but Authorities Say There's DNA
Nils M has been charged in the Netherlands
- His resume fits: a Dutch man identified as Nils M spent five years behind bars in connection with the 2012 theft of a 17th-century church vessel from a museum whose doors he blasted open. Prosecutors allege he struck again following his release. The 59-year-old was arrested in April and stands...
Sep 19, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Holocaust Memorial 'Screams— Be Vigilant'
Dutch renew fight against anti-Semitism at unveiling
- King Willem-Alexander unveiled a new memorial in the heart of Amsterdam's historic Jewish Quarter on Sunday honoring more than 102,000 Dutch victims of the Holocaust, and the Dutch prime minister vowed that it would remind citizens today to be vigilant against anti-Semitism. Designed by Polish-Jewish architect Daniel Libeskind,...
Mafia Boss Look-Alike Seized
at Gunpoint, Thrown in Prison
Sep 14, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Mafia Boss Look-Alike Seized at Gunpoint, Thrown in Prison
Attorney blames Italian authorities for mix-up in the Hague
- An Englishman who traveled to the Netherlands to take in a Formula One race got more excitement than he bargained for when he was mistaken for an Italian Mafia boss, wanted for more than 50 murders. The 54-year-old, identified by his attorney as Mark L., was seized at gunpoint by...
As Reporter Was Shot,
2 Suspicious Men Filmed Him
Jul 28, 2021 1:28 PM CDT
As Reporter Was Shot, 2 Suspicious Men Filmed Him
Police believe killers wanted video on Internet for 'maximum attention'
- The killers of renowned crime reporter Peter R. de Vries may have wanted their own report on the crime, investigators in the Netherlands say. Police say two men seen on surveillance footage followed the 64-year-old from a studio to his car, took out their phones before he was shot on...
Murdered Journalist Aided
in Alleged Gang Leader's Trial
Jul 15, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Murdered Journalist Aided in Alleged Gang Leader's Trial
Family announces death of Peter R. de Vries, adviser to a witness in the trial of Ridouan Taghi
- Peter R. de Vries, the renowned Dutch crime reporter shot last week in a brazen attack in Amsterdam , has died, Dutch media reported Thursday. "Peter fought to the end, but was unable to win the battle," RTL, the Dutch network that de Vries regularly worked for, cited a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
Judge Disagrees With Rioter About Who the Patriots Were
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.