Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gov: Manson Family Member
Poses 'Unreasonable Danger'
Mar 30, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Gov: Manson Family Member Poses 'Unreasonable Danger'
Calif.'s Gavin Newsom gives Leslie Van Houten, 72, a 5th gubernatorial denial of her parole bid
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday blocked parole for Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten, reversing a panel's recommendation that she be freed after spending a half-century in prison. Van Houten, 72, "poses an unreasonable danger to society if released from prison at this time," Newsom said...
California Supreme Court Has
Bad News for Leslie Van Houten
Feb 11, 2022 12:03 AM CST
California Supreme Court Has Bad News for Leslie Van Houten
Denies a potential bid for freedom from Manson Family member
The California Supreme Court has denied a potential bid for freedom by Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten following Gov. Gavin Newsom's two rejections of her parole, the AP reports. The court on Wednesday refused to hear Van Houten's appeal of a lower court ruling last December...
TV Ghost Hunter Rids Himself
of Manson Murder House
Jun 17, 2021 6:11 AM CDT
TV Ghost Hunter Rids Himself of Manson Murder House
It sold for less than Zak Bagans of 'Ghost Adventures' paid for it in 2019
- The home where Charles Manson's followers committed their last multiple murder has sold for well below the asking price after eight months on the market. The two-bedroom, two-bath home in Los Angeles' Los Feliz neighborhood, where supermarket chain owner Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary, who ran a clothing...
Jul 24, 2020 12:46 AM CDT
Panel Recommends Parole for Youngest Manson Follower
Governor could still deny Leslie Van Houten parole
- A California panel on Thursday recommended that Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten be paroled after serving nearly five decades in prison, the AP reports. After a hearing at the women’s prison in Chino, California, commissioners of the Board of Parole Hearings found for the fourth time that Van...
for 20 Years, a
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 3, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
After Studying Manson Murders for 20 Years, a Different Take
Tom O'Neill and Dan Piepenbring are out with a new book on the murders
- The Charles Manson murders have never really left the public eye, but they've gotten a boost with Quentin Tarantino's new film
Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood.
But Tarantino isn't the only one out with a Manson-related project. Tom O'Neill and Dan Piepenbring are out with...
TV Ghost Hunter Buys
Site of Manson Murders
Jul 26, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
TV Ghost Hunter Buys Site of Manson Murders
'When I walked through that house, I felt things'
- The grisly history of a home in Los Angeles has turned out to be its big selling point. TMZ reports that
star Zak Bagans has bought the home where Charles Manson's followers brutally murdered Leno and Rosemary LaBianca on Aug. 9, 1969, stabbing the couple dozens of...
For Sale: Home Where
Manson Family Killed 2
Jul 18, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
For Sale: Home Where Manson Family Killed 2
Site of LaBianca murders listed for $1.98M
- One of the Los Angeles houses where followers of Charles Manson committed notorious murders in 1969 is for sale. The home in the hilly Los Feliz district is where Leno and Rosemary LaBianca were slain the night after actress Sharon Tate and four others were murdered by Manson followers in...
Jun 4, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
Governor Overrules Parole for Manson Follower
Leslie Van Houten was convicted in LaBianca slayings
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom overruled a parole board's decision to free Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten on Monday, the third time a governor has stopped the release of the youngest member of Manson's murderous cult. Van Houten, 69, is still a threat, Newsom said, though she has...
I'm Still in Love
May 1, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme: I'm Still in Love With Manson
Former Manson Family member speaks out in new docu-series
- Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme apparently has no qualms about falling in love with Charles Manson and joining his cult: "Was I in love with Charlie? Yeah. Oh yeah. Oh, still am. Still am. I don't think you fall out of love," a smiling Fromme said on Tuesday'...
at Freedom for
Jan 30, 2019 5:56 PM CST
Another Chance at Freedom for Youngest Manson Follower
Parole recommended for Leslie Van Houten
- A California panel on Wednesday recommended that Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten be paroled after serving more than four decades in prison, the AP reports. After a hearing at the women's prison in Chino, California, commissioners of the Board of Parole Hearings found for the third time since...
Man Who Killed for Manson
Recommended for Parole
Jan 4, 2019 3:11 AM CST
Man Who Killed for Manson Recommended for Parole
Robert Beausoleil was rejected 18 times
- A California parole panel on Thursday recommended for the first time that Charles Manson follower Robert Beausoleil be freed after serving nearly a half-century in prison for murder, the AP reports. Beausoleil, 71, was not involved in the most notorious killings of actress Sharon Tate and six others by the...
as 'Evil Con Man'
Nov 20, 2017 6:11 AM CST
Charles Manson Remembered as 'Evil Con Man'
It's not clear what will happen to his remains
- Ceased to exist: Charles Manson died in a California hospital Sunday night, almost 50 years into the cult leader's nine consecutive life sentences for orchestrating a series of murders that some said brought an end to the spirit of the '60s. Manson, long an inmate at Corcoran State...
Dead at 83
Nov 20, 2017 1:09 AM CST
Charles Manson Dead at 83
Cult leader's name became a byword for evil
- Charles Manson, the cult leader whose hippie followers terrorized Los Angeles with seven gruesome murders in 1969, has died after almost 50 years behind bars. He was 83. The California Department of Corrections says Manson, whose death sentence for orchestrating the killings was commuted to life imprisonment in 1972, died...
Board Grants Parole to
Youngest Manson Follower
Sep 7, 2017 1:27 AM CDT
Board Grants Parole to Youngest Manson Follower
Governor could overrule Leslie Van Houten decision again
- For the second time in two years, a California panel has recommended parole for Leslie Van Houten, the youngest former Charles Manson follower imprisoned for the 1969 murder spree that horrified Los Angeles. After a 120-day review process, California Gov. Jerry Brown will have the final say on whether to...
Youngest Manson Follower
Makes New Parole Bid
Sep 6, 2017 1:03 AM CDT
Youngest Manson Follower Makes New Parole Bid
Leslie Van Houten was 19 during murder spree
- The youngest of Charles Manson's murderous followers will attempt once more to persuade a parole panel she has reformed and—at age 68—deserves to be released from prison. Leslie Van Houten, who was 19 when she killed for Manson during a series of murders that terrorized Los Angeles...
Follower: Manson Said I'd Be
Dragged Behind Car If I Left
Sep 1, 2017 9:42 AM CDT
Follower: Manson Said I'd Be Dragged Behind Car If I Left
Catherine Share testifies on Leslie Van Houten's behalf
- A woman once under the spell of Charles Manson testified Thursday that the violent and manipulative cult leader threatened a painful death if she left the ranch where they lived. Catherine Share told a Los Angeles Superior Court judge that Manson once severely beat her and got a male cult...
Manson Family Member
Jun 22, 2017 3:22 PM CDT
Manson Family Member Denied Parole
Patricia Krenwinkel's parole hearing resumed Thursday
- California's parole board denied parole for convicted killer Patricia Krenwinkel—a follower of cult leader Charles Manson—Thursday, the AP reports. Krenwinkel, 69, was previously denied parole 13 times for the 1969 slayings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four other people in Southern California. The next night, she...
Oct 28, 2016 11:33 AM CDT
Charles Manson's 'Right-Hand Man' Denied Parole
Charles 'Tex' Watson has his 17th parole hearing
- California parole officials recommended Thursday that Charles "Tex" Watson, the self-described right-hand man of murderous cult leader Charles Manson, should remain in prison 47 years after he helped plan and carry out the slayings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and six other people, the AP reports. Watson's 17th...
Police Release Sketches in
Possible Manson Family Killing
Sep 10, 2016 4:30 PM CDT
Police Release Sketches in Possible Manson Family Killing
Two men named Jean are persons of interest in teen's 1969 murder
- The Los Angeles Police Department has released sketches of two men considered persons of interest in a 47-year-old murder possibly connected to the Manson family, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. According to
, Reet Jurvetson, 19, flew from Canada to LA in 1969 to see a man named Jean she...
Youngest Manson Follower
Jul 23, 2016 6:28 AM CDT
Youngest Manson Follower Denied Parole
Leslie Van Houten turned down for 20th time
- Leslie Van Houten, the youngest member of the Manson "family" to take part in a series of gruesome California murders in 1969, has been denied freedom again—her past overshadowing her decades as a model prisoner. On Friday, California Gov. Jerry Brown overturned a parole board recommendation that found...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Verizon Just Got Pricier
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
US Sues Steve Wynn, Says Casino Mogul Is Agent of China
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.