Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sharon Tate Was Murdered
Behind This Door. It's for Sale
Aug 2, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Sharon Tate Was Murdered Behind This Door. It's for Sale
The top bid is currently $25K
- The auction is dubbed "Legends: Hollywood and Royalty," but one item in it is of a decidedly grim nature. When 1,400 of "the most iconic and fascinating objects synonymous with Hollywood's greatest legends and the world's most famous cultural figures" hit the block in...
Freed After 53 Years
Jul 11, 2023 3:29 PM CDT
Manson Follower Freed After 53 Years
Leslie Van Houten is now in transitional housing, lawyer says
- Leslie Van Houten has been released from a California prison after serving more than 50 years for her role in some of the most notorious murders in American history. Attorney Nancy Tetreault says the 73-year-old former Charles Manson follower left the California Institution for Women in Corona Tuesday morning and...
Court Calls for Freeing
Manson Family Member
May 30, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Court Calls for Freeing Manson Family Member
Decision overrules California governor on parole for Leslie Van Houten, 72
- A California appeals court ruled Tuesday that Charles Manson's youngest follower should be released from prison, reversing Gov. Gavin Newsom. The 2-1 decision by the Second District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles said Leslie Van Houten "has shown extraordinary rehabilitative efforts, insight, remorse, realistic parole plans, support...
Kasabian Dead at 73
Feb 28, 2023 6:49 AM CST
Manson Family Member Linda Kasabian Dead at 73
Her testimony on 1969 murders earned her immunity, sent other members to prison
- She was the lookout during the murders of pregnant actor Sharon Tate and four others in August 1969, then the driver on the second night of the Manson family's murder spree. Linda Kasabian's testimony on what happened over those two days ended up earning her immunity and sending...
California Supreme Court Has
Bad News for Leslie Van Houten
Feb 11, 2022 12:03 AM CST
California Supreme Court Has Bad News for Leslie Van Houten
Denies a potential bid for freedom from Manson Family member
The California Supreme Court has denied a potential bid for freedom by Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten following Gov. Gavin Newsom's two rejections of her parole, the AP reports. The court on Wednesday refused to hear Van Houten's appeal of a lower court ruling last December...
TV Ghost Hunter Rids Himself
of Manson Murder House
Jun 17, 2021 6:11 AM CDT
TV Ghost Hunter Rids Himself of Manson Murder House
It sold for less than Zak Bagans of 'Ghost Adventures' paid for it in 2019
- The home where Charles Manson's followers committed their last multiple murder has sold for well below the asking price after eight months on the market. The two-bedroom, two-bath home in Los Angeles' Los Feliz neighborhood, where supermarket chain owner Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary, who ran a clothing...
Jul 24, 2020 12:46 AM CDT
Panel Recommends Parole for Youngest Manson Follower
Governor could still deny Leslie Van Houten parole
- A California panel on Thursday recommended that Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten be paroled after serving nearly five decades in prison, the AP reports. After a hearing at the women’s prison in Chino, California, commissioners of the Board of Parole Hearings found for the fourth time that Van...
for 20 Years, a
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 3, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
After Studying Manson Murders for 20 Years, a Different Take
Tom O'Neill and Dan Piepenbring are out with a new book on the murders
- The Charles Manson murders have never really left the public eye, but they've gotten a boost with Quentin Tarantino's new film
Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood.
But Tarantino isn't the only one out with a Manson-related project. Tom O'Neill and Dan Piepenbring are out with...
TV Ghost Hunter Buys
Site of Manson Murders
Jul 26, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
TV Ghost Hunter Buys Site of Manson Murders
'When I walked through that house, I felt things'
- The grisly history of a home in Los Angeles has turned out to be its big selling point. TMZ reports that
star Zak Bagans has bought the home where Charles Manson's followers brutally murdered Leno and Rosemary LaBianca on Aug. 9, 1969, stabbing the couple dozens of...
For Sale: Home Where
Manson Family Killed 2
Jul 18, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
For Sale: Home Where Manson Family Killed 2
Site of LaBianca murders listed for $1.98M
- One of the Los Angeles houses where followers of Charles Manson committed notorious murders in 1969 is for sale. The home in the hilly Los Feliz district is where Leno and Rosemary LaBianca were slain the night after actress Sharon Tate and four others were murdered by Manson followers in...
Jun 4, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
Governor Overrules Parole for Manson Follower
Leslie Van Houten was convicted in LaBianca slayings
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom overruled a parole board's decision to free Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten on Monday, the third time a governor has stopped the release of the youngest member of Manson's murderous cult. Van Houten, 69, is still a threat, Newsom said, though she has...
I'm Still in Love
May 1, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme: I'm Still in Love With Manson
Former Manson Family member speaks out in new docu-series
- Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme apparently has no qualms about falling in love with Charles Manson and joining his cult: "Was I in love with Charlie? Yeah. Oh yeah. Oh, still am. Still am. I don't think you fall out of love," a smiling Fromme said on Tuesday'...
at Freedom for
Jan 30, 2019 5:56 PM CST
Another Chance at Freedom for Youngest Manson Follower
Parole recommended for Leslie Van Houten
- A California panel on Wednesday recommended that Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten be paroled after serving more than four decades in prison, the AP reports. After a hearing at the women's prison in Chino, California, commissioners of the Board of Parole Hearings found for the third time since...
Man Who Killed for Manson
Recommended for Parole
Jan 4, 2019 3:11 AM CST
Man Who Killed for Manson Recommended for Parole
Robert Beausoleil was rejected 18 times
- A California parole panel on Thursday recommended for the first time that Charles Manson follower Robert Beausoleil be freed after serving nearly a half-century in prison for murder, the AP reports. Beausoleil, 71, was not involved in the most notorious killings of actress Sharon Tate and six others by the...
as 'Evil Con Man'
Nov 20, 2017 6:11 AM CST
Charles Manson Remembered as 'Evil Con Man'
It's not clear what will happen to his remains
- Ceased to exist: Charles Manson died in a California hospital Sunday night, almost 50 years into the cult leader's nine consecutive life sentences for orchestrating a series of murders that some said brought an end to the spirit of the '60s. Manson, long an inmate at Corcoran State...
Dead at 83
Nov 20, 2017 1:09 AM CST
Charles Manson Dead at 83
Cult leader's name became a byword for evil
- Charles Manson, the cult leader whose hippie followers terrorized Los Angeles with seven gruesome murders in 1969, has died after almost 50 years behind bars. He was 83. The California Department of Corrections says Manson, whose death sentence for orchestrating the killings was commuted to life imprisonment in 1972, died...
Board Grants Parole to
Youngest Manson Follower
Sep 7, 2017 1:27 AM CDT
Board Grants Parole to Youngest Manson Follower
Governor could overrule Leslie Van Houten decision again
- For the second time in two years, a California panel has recommended parole for Leslie Van Houten, the youngest former Charles Manson follower imprisoned for the 1969 murder spree that horrified Los Angeles. After a 120-day review process, California Gov. Jerry Brown will have the final say on whether to...
Youngest Manson Follower
Makes New Parole Bid
Sep 6, 2017 1:03 AM CDT
Youngest Manson Follower Makes New Parole Bid
Leslie Van Houten was 19 during murder spree
- The youngest of Charles Manson's murderous followers will attempt once more to persuade a parole panel she has reformed and—at age 68—deserves to be released from prison. Leslie Van Houten, who was 19 when she killed for Manson during a series of murders that terrorized Los Angeles...
Follower: Manson Said I'd Be
Dragged Behind Car If I Left
Sep 1, 2017 9:42 AM CDT
Follower: Manson Said I'd Be Dragged Behind Car If I Left
Catherine Share testifies on Leslie Van Houten's behalf
- A woman once under the spell of Charles Manson testified Thursday that the violent and manipulative cult leader threatened a painful death if she left the ranch where they lived. Catherine Share told a Los Angeles Superior Court judge that Manson once severely beat her and got a male cult...
Manson Family Member
Jun 22, 2017 3:22 PM CDT
Manson Family Member Denied Parole
Patricia Krenwinkel's parole hearing resumed Thursday
- California's parole board denied parole for convicted killer Patricia Krenwinkel—a follower of cult leader Charles Manson—Thursday, the AP reports. Krenwinkel, 69, was previously denied parole 13 times for the 1969 slayings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four other people in Southern California. The next night, she...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.