Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In a First,
Heads to Metal
Oct 13, 2023 1:33 PM CDT
In a First, NASA Craft Heads to Metal Asteroid
Until now, exploration has been limited to surfaces of rock, ice, and gas
- NASA's Psyche spacecraft rocketed away Friday on a six-year journey to a rare metal-covered asteroid. Most asteroids tend to be rocky or icy, and this is the first exploration of a metal world. Scientists say it may be the battered remains of an early planet's core and could...
India Can't Rouse
Its Moon Rover
Sep 22, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
India Can't Rouse Its Moon Rover
Lander and rover are dormant at the frigid south pole after a 2-week nap
- India's mission to the moon can already be counted as a historic success, but this might put a damper on how it ends: The nation's space agency can't rouse its lunar lander or lunar rover after a two-week nap, reports New Scientist . The machines deliberately went into...
You Might Be Able to Spot
a Comet This Week
Sep 11, 2023 8:20 AM CDT
You Might Be Able to Spot a Comet This Week
Newly discovered Nishimura would require an early wake-up and good binoculars
- A comet that last zipped by our planet around the year 1590 is on its return trip, and it makes its closest approach to Earth on Tuesday, reports EarthSky . Those who hope to catch a glimpse of Comet Nishimura might be able to do so if they rise before dawn...
India's Lunar Rover
Keeps Doing Its Moon Walk
Aug 25, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
India's Lunar Rover Keeps Doing Its Moon Walk
No glitches so far after historic touch-down earlier this week
- India's lunar rover continued its walk on the moon Friday after the historic touch-down of India's spacecraft near the moon's south pole earlier this week, the country's space agency said. The rover's data collection and experiments could help determine if there is oxygen and hydrogen...
Russia's First Moon Mission
in Decades Ends in a Crash
Aug 20, 2023 6:26 AM CDT
Russia's First Moon Mission in Decades Ends in a Crash
Luna-25 lander rams into the moon while preparing to land
- Russia's first attempt to return to the moon since 1976 has ended in an explosion. The nation's Luna-25 lander spun out of control while preparing to land and rammed into the moon's surface, reports CNN . "The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist...
Again to Nail
Jul 14, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
India Tries Again to Nail Moon Landing
After failed 2019 mission, country launches Chandrayaan-3 with a rover and lander
- An Indian spacecraft blazed its way to the far side of the moon Friday in a follow-up mission to its failed effort nearly four years ago to land a rover softly on the lunar surface, the country's space agency said. Chandrayaan-3, the word for "moon craft" in Sanskrit,...
Black Hole Collisions
Jun 29, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Astronomers 'Hear' Black Hole Collisions
Major discovery seems to affirm a theory of Albert Einstein
- Scientists have observed for the first time the faint ripples caused by the motion of black holes that are gently stretching and squeezing everything in the universe, per the AP . They reported Wednesday that they were able to "hear" what are called low-frequency gravitational waves—changes in the fabric...
Life Requires 6 Elements.
This Moon Has Them All
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 24, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Life Requires 6 Elements. This Moon Has Them All
Scientists detect phosphorous on the Saturn moon of Enceladus, the last element missing
- Scientists have detected phosphorous in the icy mist from one of Saturn's moons. That in itself might not sound like a big deal unless you consider that they previously detected carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and sulfur there as well. And
might not sound like a big deal unless...
Mars Rover Finds Signs
of a Robust Ancient River
May 14, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Mars Rover Finds Signs of a Robust Ancient River
A new discovery could lead to clues about planet's ability to support life
- Images captured by NASA's Perseverance rover suggest the existence of a once-thriving and surprisingly potent Martian river—shedding light on the planet's intriguing geological past. A NASA press release reports that the rover's high-resolution photographs, made during its ongoing mission on Mars, provide compelling evidence of an...
Japanese Spacecraft's Moon
Landing Appears to Fail
Apr 25, 2023 12:57 PM CDT
Japanese Spacecraft's Moon Landing Appears to Fail
Ground control loses contact as unmanned spacecraft attempts to touch down
- A Japanese company lost contact with its spacecraft moments before touchdown on the moon Wednesday, and the lunar lander is presumed to have crashed, per the AP . Contact was lost as the lander descended the final 33 feet while traveling around 16 mph. Controllers peered at their screens in Tokyo,...
You Might Be Able
to Glimpse This Asteroid
Mar 24, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
You Might Be Able to Glimpse This Asteroid
It's zipping by us, and even amateurs might spot 2023 DZ2 Friday night or Saturday
- An asteroid big enough to wipe out a city will zip between Earth and the moon's orbit on Saturday, reports the AP . The close encounter will offer astronomers the chance to study a space rock from just over 100,000 miles away—that’s less than half the distance...
China's Mars Rover
Hasn't Moved in Months
Feb 24, 2023 7:40 AM CST
China's Mars Rover Hasn't Moved in Months
Zhurong's roaming days might be over
- China's first Mars rover appears to have finished roaming. CNET reports that images from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter show the solar-powered Zhurong rover has been inactive since September 2022 and possibly longer. The rover, which entered a planned hibernation in May last year, didn't budge between an...
One of Century's Biggest
Science Projects Is Underway
Dec 5, 2022 2:23 PM CST
One of Century's Biggest Science Projects Is Underway
Square Kilometer Array will search for extraterrestrials, among other things
- Astronomers and other folks curious about the nature and origins of the universe—not to mention the possible existence of extraterrestrial life—have a new reason to cheer: construction has begun on the world’s largest radio telescope. Per the BBC , the Square Kilometre Array is scheduled for completion in...
Reaches the Moon
Nov 21, 2022 8:31 AM CST
NASA Capsule Reaches the Moon
Unmanned craft on track for record-breaking lunar orbit
- NASA’s Orion capsule reached the moon Monday, whipping around the back side and passing within 80 miles on its way to what should be a record-breaking lunar orbit, per the AP . The close approach occurred as the crew capsule and its three test dummies were on the far side...
Possible 'Planet Killer' Asteroid
Found in Earth's Orbital Path
Oct 31, 2022 2:59 PM CDT
Possible 'Planet Killer' Asteroid Found in Earth's Orbital Path
Future generations will want to keep an eye on it
- Astronomers have discovered a new asteroid in our neighborhood: it's more than a mile wide, and its orbit around the sun crosses the Earth’s path, making it a potential "planet killer," according to a
New York Times
report on the rock known as 2022 APY
Experts: Mars Isn't
the Best Target for
Sep 26, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Experts: Mars Isn't the Best Target for Interplanetary Mission
Researchers say crewed mission to Venus would provide valuable experience
- While Venus is never going to be a vacation destination for space tourists, largely because anybody stepping foot on its surface would die in a split-second from intense heat and crushing air pressure, a group of experts is arguing that it would be a better target than Mars for the...
The Universe Has
a New Mineral
Sep 19, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
The Universe Has a New Mineral
China identifies transparent crystal on the moon
- China has identified a new mineral on the moon, joining the exclusive club of nations able to make that claim. The transparent crystal has been named Changesite-(Y), after the Chinese lunar goddess Chang'e, reports Space.com . The International Mineralogical Association has confirmed the finding, which New Atlas reports is...
Toaster-Size Box Makes
Oxygen on Mars
Sep 2, 2022 12:32 PM CDT
Toaster-Size Box Makes Oxygen on Mars
MOXIE offers hope of clearing a big hurdle for manned missions
- The comparisons are small scale at the moment: A device the size of a toaster generated oxygen comparable to that of a modest tree. But given that this took place on Mars, the implications are of the large-scale variety. In a study published in
, NASA researchers report that...
NASA Releases More New
Images From the Cosmos
Jul 12, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
NASA Releases More New Images From the Cosmos
Courtesy of the James Webb Space Telescope
- NASA on Tuesday unveiled a new batch of images from its new powerful space telescope, including a foamy blue and orange shot of a dying star. The first image from the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope was released Monday at the White House —a jumble of distant galaxies...
Voyager 1 Glitch
May 19, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Voyager 1 Glitch Puzzles NASA
Venerable space traveler is mainly OK, but some of the data it's sending back is off
- In the grand scheme of things, the astonishing Voyager 1 is still behaving like a champ. But the 45-year-old space probe is experiencing a glitch that has NASA scientists baffled, reports CNN . As Space.com describes it, Voyager has lately "appeared confused about its location in space." However,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.