Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Reaches the Moon
Nov 21, 2022 8:31 AM CST
NASA Capsule Reaches the Moon
Unmanned craft on track for record-breaking lunar orbit
- NASA’s Orion capsule reached the moon Monday, whipping around the back side and passing within 80 miles on its way to what should be a record-breaking lunar orbit, per the AP . The close approach occurred as the crew capsule and its three test dummies were on the far side...
Possible 'Planet Killer' Asteroid
Found in Earth's Orbital Path
Oct 31, 2022 2:59 PM CDT
Possible 'Planet Killer' Asteroid Found in Earth's Orbital Path
Future generations will want to keep an eye on it
- Astronomers have discovered a new asteroid in our neighborhood: it's more than a mile wide, and its orbit around the sun crosses the Earth’s path, making it a potential "planet killer," according to a
New York Times
report on the rock known as 2022 APY
Experts: Mars Isn't
the Best Target for
Sep 26, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Experts: Mars Isn't the Best Target for Interplanetary Mission
Researchers say crewed mission to Venus would provide valuable experience
- While Venus is never going to be a vacation destination for space tourists, largely because anybody stepping foot on its surface would die in a split-second from intense heat and crushing air pressure, a group of experts is arguing that it would be a better target than Mars for the...
The Universe Has
a New Mineral
Sep 19, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
The Universe Has a New Mineral
China identifies transparent crystal on the moon
- China has identified a new mineral on the moon, joining the exclusive club of nations able to make that claim. The transparent crystal has been named Changesite-(Y), after the Chinese lunar goddess Chang'e, reports Space.com . The International Mineralogical Association has confirmed the finding, which New Atlas reports is...
Toaster-Size Box Makes
Oxygen on Mars
Sep 2, 2022 12:32 PM CDT
Toaster-Size Box Makes Oxygen on Mars
MOXIE offers hope of clearing a big hurdle for manned missions
- The comparisons are small scale at the moment: A device the size of a toaster generated oxygen comparable to that of a modest tree. But given that this took place on Mars, the implications are of the large-scale variety. In a study published in
, NASA researchers report that...
NASA Releases More New
Images From the Cosmos
Jul 12, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
NASA Releases More New Images From the Cosmos
Courtesy of the James Webb Space Telescope
- NASA on Tuesday unveiled a new batch of images from its new powerful space telescope, including a foamy blue and orange shot of a dying star. The first image from the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope was released Monday at the White House —a jumble of distant galaxies...
Voyager 1 Glitch
May 19, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Voyager 1 Glitch Puzzles NASA
Venerable space traveler is mainly OK, but some of the data it's sending back is off
- In the grand scheme of things, the astonishing Voyager 1 is still behaving like a champ. But the 45-year-old space probe is experiencing a glitch that has NASA scientists baffled, reports CNN . As Space.com describes it, Voyager has lately "appeared confused about its location in space." However,...
NASA Designs New
Message for Aliens
Apr 10, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
NASA Designs New Message for Aliens
'Beacon in the Galaxy' proposal builds on previous efforts, with some important updates
- The Arecibo message—beamed via interstellar radio in 1974 from its namesake telescope—was “humanity’s first attempt to send out a missive capable of being understood by extraterrestrial intelligence,” per
which reports on efforts to develop a sequel, nicknamed “Beacon in the Galaxy.”...
Toyota Shoots for the Moon
Jan 28, 2022 12:17 PM CST
Toyota Shoots for the Moon
Automaker working on vehicle for space missions
- Toyota is working with Japan's space agency on a vehicle to explore the lunar surface, with ambitions to help people live on the moon by 2040 and then go live on Mars, company officials told the AP on Friday. The vehicle being developed with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency...
Most Powerful Telescope
in the World Lifts Off
Dec 25, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Most Powerful Telescope in the World Lifts Off
The James Webb Space Telescope, successor to the Hubble, launches aboard rocket
The world's most powerful telescope is on its way to the cosmos. A rocket lifted off Saturday morning with the James Webb Space Telescope, reports the AP . NASA is collaborating with the European and Canadian space agencies on the telescope, and the launch took place from French Guiana....
12-Year Asteroid Mission
Begins This Weekend
Oct 14, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
12-Year Asteroid Mission Begins This Weekend
NASA launches 'Lucy' toward Jupiter
- Attention asteroid aficionados: NASA is set to launch a series of spacecraft to visit and even bash some of the solar system’s most enticing space rocks. A robotic trailblazer named Lucy is up first, blasting off this weekend on a 12-year cruise to swarms of asteroids near Jupiter—unexplored...
a $2B Offer
Jul 27, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Makes NASA a $2B Offer
Ex-Amazon CEO wants to again compete in moon race against SpaceX
- If Elon Musk thought he had the sole lock on building NASA's next lunar landing vehicle, there may be a new wrench in the works. In April, the space agency announced it was offering Musk's SpaceX a $2.9 billion contract to build the spacecraft that will take...
Bezos Touches Down
After Trip to Space
Jul 20, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Bezos Touches Down After Trip to Space
He and 3 passengers lifted off on Blue Origin's debut flight
- Billionaire No. 2 has completed his trip to space. Jeff Bezos and three passengers blasted off on Tuesday from Texas aboard a Blue Origin rocket and returned safely about 10 minutes later. The flight, another crucial test for space tourism, follows the feat of Richard Branson . As the AP notes,...
Bezos' Final Passenger
to Space Is a Teenager
Jul 15, 2021 12:53 PM CDT
Bezos' Final Passenger to Space Is a Teenager
Oliver Daemen will be the youngest person ever to make the trip
- When Jeff Bezos blasts off for space next week, the flight will be historic on two fronts that are polar opposites. His Blue Origin capsule will include the youngest and oldest people to fly to space, reports CNN . The company announced Thursday that the fourth and final passenger will be...
Makes Hubble Go Dark
Jun 22, 2021 9:12 AM CDT
Computer Glitch Makes Hubble Go Dark
NASA is struggling to reboot the 'brain' of the telescope
- The famed Hubble telescope is still kicking after more than three decades in space, but it's been dark for more than a week now because of a computer glitch. NASA has tried and failed to reboot the telescope's payload computer since it crashed on June 13, reports Live...
or a Jerk?
Jun 8, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Is Bezos a Hero or a Jerk? 2 Views
One writer thinks his space trip shows integrity, another the exact opposite
- Jeff Bezos, conqueror of retail sales on Earth, is venturing into space next month on the first manned voyage of his Blue Origin company. As you might expect, this generated all kinds of opinions, and below are one each from the yea and nay camps:
, Jeffrey Kluger
China's Rover Is Now
Roaming Around Mars
May 22, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
China's Rover Is Now Roaming Around Mars
Zhurong touched down on soil Saturday morning and is now exploring the red planet's surface
- China's first Mars rover has driven down from its landing platform and is now roaming the surface of the red planet, China's space administration said Saturday. The solar-powered rover touched Martian soil at 10:40am on Saturday Beijing time, the China National Space Administration said. China landed the...
China Just Joined
an Elite Mars Club
May 15, 2021 12:22 PM CDT
China Just Joined an Elite Mars Club
Nation landed a spacecraft on the red planet
- China landed a spacecraft on Mars for the first time on Saturday, a technically challenging feat more difficult than a moon landing, in the latest step forward for its ambitious goals in space. Plans call for a rover to stay in the lander for a few days of diagnostic tests...
China Gambles, Wins With
Massive Rocket Re-Entry
May 9, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
China Gambles, Wins With Massive Rocket Re-Entry
Long March 5B burned up over the Maldives
- China's space agency said a core segment of its biggest rocket reentered Earth’s atmosphere above the Maldives in the Indian Ocean and that most of it burned up early Sunday, per the AP . Harvard astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell, who tracked the tumbling rocket part, said on Twitter, “An...
SpaceX Crew Makes
Safe, Rare Splashdown
May 2, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
SpaceX Crew Makes Safe, Rare Splashdown
4 astronauts are back after record-setting stay at International Space Station
- A four-member SpaceX crew returning from the International Space Station made a piloted landing in the Gulf of Mexico early Sunday, the first such nighttime landing in almost 54 years. After the gentle water landing just before 3am, aided by four parachutes, the Resilience capsule was lifted onto a recovery...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.