Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Pope Pius XII
With a Big Archives Release,
a Pope's Legacy Is at Stake
Jun 24, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
With a Big Archives Release, a Pope's Legacy Is at Stake
Current pontiff Francis orders online posting of 'Jewish' files from archives of WWII era's Pius XII
- Pope Francis has ordered the online publication of 170 volumes of its so-called Jewish files from the recently opened Pope Pius XII archives, the Vatican announced Thursday, amid renewed debate about the legacy of its World War II-era pope. The documentation contains 2,700 files of requests for Vatican help...
in Pius' Archives
Aug 28, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Memo 'Steeped in Anti-Semitic Language' Found in Pius' Archives
But church experts say careful study and context is needed before jumping to conclusions
- For decades, historians, academics, and Jewish advocacy groups have longed to catch a glimpse of Pope Pius XII's wartime records, kept under lock and key in the Vatican's archives. Earlier this year, the Vatican finally unsealed those records , though the archives were open for less than a week...
Historians Finally Get Chance
to Settle a Holocaust Question
in case you missed it
Mar 7, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Historians Finally Get Chance to Settle a Holocaust Question
Did the pope turn a blind eye to German atrocities?
- The worst critics of the pope who reigned during World War II say he remained silent even though he knew the Holocaust was unfolding. Hence, the nickname "Hitler's pope." The defenders of Pope Pius XII, on the other hand, say he helped Jews quietly , fearing that speaking...
What Did the Pope Do During
the Holocaust? We'll Soon Know
Mar 4, 2019 10:50 AM CST
What Did the Pope Do During the Holocaust? We'll Soon Know
Pope Francis announces Vatican archives from Pope Pius XII papacy will be opened in 2020
- Three of the four popes who followed Pope Pius XII have since been named saints. The effort to attach the same designation to Pius has stalled, but a big move by Pope Francis could soon change that. Saying "the church is not afraid of history," the pope on...
Feb 9, 2013 3:18 PM CST
'Hitler's Pope' Secretly Aided the Jews: New Book
Pope Pius XII 'oversaw a clandestine operation'
- A new book is aiming to give "Hitler's Pope" a better place in history, the
reports. Due out next month,
The Pope's Jews
paints Pius XII as a man who quietly aided Jews during World War II with safe houses and fake documents. According to the...
Woman Claims Miracle
by Controversial Pope
Jul 3, 2011 2:12 PM CDT
Woman Claims Miracle by Controversial Pope
She says Pope Pius XII intervened with God to cure her cancer
- Pope Pius XII: controversial pope, saint? Possibly. An Italian woman says the World War II-era pope, who many Jews say failed to speak out enough to stop the Holocaust, is behind her miraculous recovery from cancer. Maria Esposito had wasted away to 92 pounds and tells the AP she couldn'...
WikiLeaks: Vatican Pulled Out
of Holocaust Task Force
Dec 22, 2010 4:58 AM CST
WikiLeaks: Vatican Pulled Out of Holocaust Task Force
Group sought release of Pius XII records
- The Vatican backtracked on an agreement to join an organization dedicated to remembering the Holocaust because of mounting controversy over the wartime role of Pope Pius XII according to diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks. Plans for the Vatican to join the Task Force for International Cooperation on Holocaust Education, Remembrance,...
Pope Defends Nazi-Era Vatican
Jan 18, 2010 4:16 AM CST
Pope Defends Nazi-Era Vatican
Church helped Jews in 'hidden ways'
- Pope Benedict yesterday defended the Vatican against criticism that it did little to challenge the Nazis during World War II, saying that the Catholic church helped Jews in "hidden" ways. "Unfortunately, many remained indifferent" to the suffering of the Jews, said the German pontiff. But the Vatican "...
Pope During Holocaust
Moves Closer to Sainthood
Dec 19, 2009 10:43 AM CST
Pope During Holocaust Moves Closer to Sainthood
Jewish groups wanted Vatican to wait; John Paul II also 'venerable'
- Pope Benedict has moved two of his predecessors one step closer to sainthood, including a wartime pope dogged by criticism that he did too little to stop the Holocaust. Benedict declared Pius XII and John Paul II to be "venerable," the first of three steps to sainthood. The...
Pope to Visit Israel in May
Feb 15, 2009 4:00 PM CST
Pope to Visit Israel in May
Papal trip comes as relations tense between Vatican, Israel
- Pope Benedict XVI will visit Israel this May amid diplomatic tensions between the Vatican and the Jewish state, the
New York Times
reports. Prime Minister Ehud Olmert confirmed the visit today after the pontiff hinted at a trip last week. “We very much hope that the visit will be...
Oct 10, 2008 1:50 AM CDT
'Hitler's Pope' Closer to Sainthood
Benedict XVI prepares to beatify controversial Pius XII
- The most controversial pope of modern times may soon be a step closer to sainthood, reports Der Spiegel. Pius XII—known by many as "Hitler's Pope" because of his lack of action during the Holocaust or criticism of the Nazis—is about to be beatified, despite decades of dispute....
Popular on Newser
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.