Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Crumbleys Caught, Arrested in Detroit
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Dino Species Has
'Something Never Seen Before'
Dec 2, 2021 11:30 AM CST
This Dino Species Has 'Something Never Seen Before'
Fossil of dog-sized stegouros shows it had a tail that could slash, slice like an ancient Aztec weapon
- A fossil found in Chile is from a strange-looking dog-sized dinosaur species that had a unique slashing tail weapon, scientists reported Wednesday. Some dinosaurs had spiked tails they could use as stabbing weapons, and others had tails with clubs. The new species, described in a study in the journal
Fossil Could Be Oldest
Known Animal by 350M Years
Jul 28, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
Fossil Could Be Oldest Known Animal by 350M Years
Possible remains of ancient sponge found in Canada's far north
- Fossils discovered in the far north of Canada could push back the proven timeline of animals on Earth back by around 350 million years—a period of time longer than that between the first dinosaurs and the present day. Geologist Elizabeth Turner says the tiny fossils found in the Northwest...
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid
Was Just a Final Blow
Jul 1, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid Was Just a Final Blow
Study suggests species were struggling before the big collision
- You've heard how an asteroid strike 66 million years ago wiped out the dinosaurs . But there's more to the story, according to a new study, which suggests non-avian dinosaurs weren't doing so hot before sulfates and dust filled the atmosphere—some 10 million years before, in fact....
Was as Big as
in case you missed it
Jun 13, 2021 5:13 PM CDT
Dinosaur Found in Outback Was as Big as Basketball Court
Australotitan is biggest dino ever found in Australia
- "This is a fantastic beast. Imagine something the size of a basketball court walking around on land," says Scott Hocknall, part of a team of paleontologists that confirmed the discovery of the biggest dinosaur ever found in Australia.
was between 80 and 100 feet long and...
Mass T. Rex Death Site
Births a Terrifying Theory
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Mass T. Rex Death Site Births a Terrifying Theory
The dino predators may have hunted in packs: researchers
- Imagine being chased by a Tyrannosaurus rex. Now imagine being chased by six. That might've been the scenario for T. rex prey, according to new research suggesting the dino predator hunted in packs like wolves. The theory stems from a site discovered in 2014 at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National...
'Eagle Shark' Swam
in Ancient Seas
in case you missed it
Mar 21, 2021 2:54 PM CDT
'Eagle Shark' Swam in Ancient Seas
93-million-year-old shark would have resembled manta and devil rays
- It swam slowly through the seas with a tail fin resembling those of modern sharks and side fins that stretched outward like the wings of modern birds. It's no wonder, then, that this bizarre creature, which died in what is now Mexico some 93 million years ago, has been...
Paleontologists Gain Insight
Into a Dinosaur's Butt
Jan 21, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Paleontologists Gain Insight Into a Dinosaur's Butt
They're able to re-create in 3D a cloacal opening
- It's a first for paleontology, and one that might produce a giggle. For the first time, scientists have been able to describe in fine detail a dinosaur's cloaca. If you're not familiar with that body part, CNET translates: It's essentially "a jack-of-all-trades butthole." The...
Woolly Rhino Found
With Organs Intact
Dec 30, 2020 2:54 PM CST
Woolly Rhino Found With Organs Intact
It's one of the best-preserved Ice Age animals ever found in Siberia
- A well-preserved Ice Age woolly rhino with many of its internal organs still intact has been recovered from permafrost in Russia's extreme north. Russian media reported Wednesday that the carcass was revealed by melting permafrost in Yakutia in August. Scientists are waiting for ice roads in the Arctic region...
'Incredible' Finds on Wolf Pup
That Died 57K Years Ago
Dec 22, 2020 10:45 AM CST
'Incredible' Finds on Wolf Pup That Died 57K Years Ago
How this mummified Ice Age pup died, her last meal, and more
- We now know a lot more about the 57,000-year-old wolf pup who still looks cute enough to pet . The mummified gray wolf discovered in Canada's Yukon territory in 2016 is the subject of a new study, revealing the female pup's internal organs are as well-preserved as her...
Dinosaur Had Features
'Like Nothing Seen in Nature'
Dec 17, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Dinosaur Had Features 'Like Nothing Seen in Nature'
Flashy birds like the peacock descended from dinosaurs like this one
- How bizarre were the features of a dinosaur that roamed modern-day Brazil some 110 million years ago? They're "like nothing I have seen in nature before," David Martill, lead author of a study of the creature , tells the
. "There are plenty of other strange dinosaurs,...
Conference's Profanity Filter
Is a Little Too Efficient
in case you missed it
Oct 18, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Conference's Profanity Filter Is a Little Too Efficient
Paleontologists weren't allowed to use the word 'bone'
- Paleontologists who gathered online for an annual conference this week encountered an unexpected challenge: For a while, they weren't allowed to use the word "bone." This wasn't some creative exercise. As the
explains, the gathering of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology had to contend with...
Melting Permafrost Reveals
Ice Age Bear With Fur Intact
Sep 17, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
Melting Permafrost Reveals Ice Age Bear With Fur Intact
'This is the first and only find of its kind'
- After more than 20,000 years, melting permafrost in Siberia has yielded the amazingly well-preserved body of an Ice Age cave bear. The bear, which still has intact fur and soft tissues including its nose, was found by reindeer hunters on the Bolshoy Lyakhovsky islands in the East Siberian Sea...
Dinosaur's Last Meal
Preserved Down to the Cells
Jun 3, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Dinosaur's Last Meal Preserved Down to the Cells
Researchers 'could see the different layers of cells in a leaf fragment'
- Scientists say they've uncovered the "best-preserved dinosaur stomach ever found to date," offering an unprecedented look at a 110-million-year-old chewed salad. It's extremely rare to find a preserved dinosaur stomach, and even rarer to find one with much evidence of diet. But the soccer-ball-size stomach of...
A Supercontinent Split.
The Frogs Ended Up Here
May 6, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
A Supercontinent Split. The Frogs Ended Up Here
Fossils in Antarctica are evidence of the breakup of Gondwana
- "Frogs, nowadays, are known on all six other continents. Now we know they were also present on the seventh." That's according to Swedish scientist Thomas Mors, whose discovery of 40-million-year-old ancient horned frog fossils in Antarctica suggests frogs were transported around the globe by the breakup of...
This Dinosaur Had
a Unique Skill
in case you missed it
May 3, 2020 6:42 AM CDT
This Dinosaur Had a Unique Skill
Spinosaurus spent a lot of time swimming, say researchers
- When Nizar Ibrahim suggested in 2014 that Spinosaurus was the first known dinosaur built to swim, not everyone was convinced. Skeptics wanted a better explanation of how the giant creature would have propelled itself through the water, notes Live Science . Now, Ibrahim and other researchers say they have the answer:...
Dino Was a Weirdo
Mar 12, 2020 10:05 AM CDT
Smallest Known Dino Was a Weirdo
99-million-year-old species weighed about as much as a couple of dollar bills
- Scientists say they've discovered the smallest known dinosaur which, at an estimated 2 grams, was roughly "the weight of two dollar bills," per Live Science . The skull of the new birdlike species, about the size of the smallest hummingbird on Earth today, was found in a 99-million-year-old,...
'Squawkzilla' Is a
Aug 8, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Giant Parrot 'Squawkzilla' Is a First-of-Its-Kind Find
Extinct bird was more than half the height of an average human
- Researchers believe they've found the largest known parrot to ever inhabit our planet, and it just happens to be about twice the size of the parrot it now dethrones. While the critically endangered kakapo of New Zealand can weigh close to 8 pounds,
weighed an estimated 15....
Experts Roaring Over
Rare T. Rex on eBay
Apr 17, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Experts Roaring Over Rare T. Rex on eBay
Skeleton, likely of a juvenile, could be lost to science
- What is touted as the only known fossil of a juvenile T. Rex is up for grabs on eBay—which came as quite a shock to the museum showcasing it. The 68 million-year-old skeleton found on private land in Montana in 2013 was on loan to the University of Kansas...
Wolf Pup Died
50K Years Ago,
Still 'So Cute'
Sep 14, 2018 8:24 AM CDT
Wolf Pup Died 50K Years Ago, Still 'So Cute'
Wolf, caribou found in Canada provide some of the world's oldest mummified soft tissue
- "It's so cute" is not a typical reaction upon finding a 50,000-year-old dead animal, yet it's hard to argue with paleontologist Grant Zazula's assessment. With pristine muscle, skin, and fur, the complete mummified wolf pup, believed to have died around eight weeks old, looks as...
on Evidence of
That Ate Whales
Aug 10, 2018 3:00 AM CDT
Guy Stumbles on Evidence of Mega-Shark That Ate Whales
Schoolteacher Philip Mullaly found the shark teeth in Australia
- Imagine strolling down the beach and discovering a razor-sharp tooth from a shark twice the size of a Great White. Well, meet Philip Mullaly: "It was an awesome creature, it would have been terrifying to come across," the amateur fossil hunter and schoolteacher tells the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Parents of Shooting Suspect Are Considered Fugitives
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Buttigieg, Harris, and the Elephant in the Room
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.