Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court: Squatters Can Stay in
Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Nov 23, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Court: Squatters Can Stay in Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Group moved into sanctioned Russian tech billionaire's mansion last month
- Squatters who moved into the Amsterdam mansion of a Russian tech billionaire last month can stay there for now, a Dutch court has decided. The five-story property in an upmarket neighborhood is owned by Arkady Volozh, co-founder of Yandex, Russia's biggest search engine, the
reports. Heleen over de...
Russian Oligarch Is
Officially Out of a Superyacht
Sep 28, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
Russian Oligarch Is Officially Out of a Superyacht
Dmitry Pumpyansky's luxury boat was the first to be auctioned, for $37.5M, over Ukraine sanctions
The luxury superyacht seized from Russian oligarch Dmitry Pumpyansky and put up for sale in the first auction of its kind related to Russia's invasion of Ukraine ended up selling for $37.5 million in an auction that garnered 63 bids, the
reports. The buyer's identity...
Russian Yacht, an
in case you missed it
Jul 24, 2022 6:40 AM CDT
Inside Seized Russian Yacht, an 'Interesting' Find
Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco says alleged Faberge egg was recovered
- US law enforcement officials who seized a Russian oligarch's $300 million yacht found what could be considered the ultimate symbol of opulence inside: an alleged Fabergé egg. Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco told the Aspen Security Forum on Wednesday that the jeweled egg was one of the more "...
Russian Superyacht Arrives
in Hawaii Flying US Flag
Jun 17, 2022 4:26 AM CDT
Russian Superyacht Arrives in Hawaii Flying US Flag
Amadea was seized after Fiji legal battle
- A Russian-owned superyacht seized by the United States arrived in Honolulu Harbor on Thursday flying an American flag. The US last week won a legal battle in Fiji to take the $325 million vessel and immediately sailed it to Hawaii. The FBI has linked the Amadea to the Russian oligarch...
US Aid to Ukraine is 'Almost
Exhausted.' Now, a New Plan
Apr 28, 2022 11:48 AM CDT
US Aid to Ukraine is 'Almost Exhausted.' Now, a New Plan
Biden proposes $33B assistance package to last an estimated 5 months
- President Biden will ask Congress for an additional $33 billion to help Ukraine fend off the Russian invasion, two administration officials said Thursday, per the AP . Biden's latest proposal—which the officials said was expected to last for five months—has more than $20 billion in military assistance for...
Nobody Seems to Know This
Oligarch's Role in Peace Talks
Mar 29, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Nobody Seems to Know This Oligarch's Role in Peace Talks
Roman Abramovich seems to be ever-present, and he may have been poisoned for his trouble
- One of the people spotted at the Russian-Ukraine peace talks on Tuesday was Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, which turns out to be interesting on a few fronts. For one thing, reports emerged Monday that Abramovich had been poisoned along with Ukrainian diplomats during peace talks in early March. All of...
Oligarch in Peace Talks
May Have Been Poisoned
Mar 28, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Oligarch in Peace Talks May Have Been Poisoned
'Wall Street Journal' reports on Roman Abramovich, who is recovering
Wall Street Journal
is out with a startling, if unconfirmed, story about peace talks to end Russia's war in Ukraine. The newspaper reports that a Russian oligarch who is participating in the talks has been the victim of suspected poisoning by hard-liners in his country who want to...
Oligarch's London Mansion
Mar 14, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Squatters Occupy Oligarch's London Mansion
Group said they wanted to offer 200-room building to Ukrainian refugees
- "You occupy Ukraine, we occupy you," an anarchist group said Monday after taking over a London mansion believed to belong to a Russian oligarch. Police later entered the Belgrave Square mansion and said no squatters remained inside, though they continued to negotiate with several people on the property'...
Oligarch's Superyacht Vanishes
in case you missed it
Mar 13, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Oligarch's Superyacht Vanishes
Boat owned by Lukoil CEO Vagit Alekperov stops transmitting signals
- A Russian billionaire may be trying to get sneaky to keep his superyacht from being seized. The Daily Beast reports that a massive vessel owned by Vagit Alekperov, head of Russian energy giant Lukoil, has vanished in a sense. The Galactica Super Nova departed Montenegro on March 2 and then,...
No More 'Safe Haven'
for Russian Oligarch
Mar 10, 2022 7:47 AM CST
No More 'Safe Haven' for Russian Oligarch
Billionaire Abramovich is sanctioned by UK government, freezing sale of Chelsea soccer club
Roman Abramovich says he's not tight with Vladimir Putin, but that didn't stop the United Kingdom's government from penalizing him over Russia's invasion of Ukraine. CNN reports the 55-year-old billionaire is now on the UK's sanctioned individuals list , meaning Abramovich's sale of the...
Superyacht Seized as It
Prepared 'to Sail Off Urgently'
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2022 12:10 PM CST
Superyacht Seized as It Prepared 'to Sail Off Urgently'
France seizes $120M yacht linked to Putin's friend and ally Igor Sechin
- Two days after he was sanctioned by the European Union, Russian oligarch Igor Sechin lost his superyacht. France on Wednesday seized the 280-foot yacht Amore Vero ("True Love"), with a reported price tag of $120 million, reports CNN . The ship, reportedly owned by an entity of which Sechin...
Found Dead in UK
Mar 4, 2022 9:17 AM CST
Ukraine-Born Oligarch Found Dead in UK
Surrey police describe Mikhail Watford's death as unexplained
- A Ukraine-born oligarch has been found dead in unexplained circumstances at his home in the UK, according to Surrey police. Officers were called to a $24 million property on the exclusive Wentworth Estate in Virginia Water, Surrey, on Monday following the discovery of a body. "An ambulance was called...
Have a Most Persistent
Teen on Their Tails
Mar 1, 2022 12:24 PM CST
Russian Oligarchs Have a Most Persistent Teen on Their Tails
Jack Sweeney, who's been tracking Elon Musk's private jet, is also keeping tabs on Russia's richest
- The teen who irked Elon Musk for tracking his private jet now has a new lineup of aircraft he's shadowing. The Hill reports that 19-year-old college freshman Jack Sweeney has set up the Russian Oligarch Jets Twitter account , in response to multiple requests to track the planes of Russia'...
Ukrainian Takes Out War Rage
on Russian Boss's Yacht
Feb 28, 2022 8:06 AM CST
Ukrainian Takes Out War Rage on Russian Boss's Yacht
Sailor angry at Russia's invasion allegedly tried to sink oligarch's $7.8M vessel in Majorca
- People are coping with the Russian invasion of Ukraine in different ways, but for one Ukrainian sailor on the Spanish island of Majorca, his coping mechanism took a particularly vengeful turn: He tried to sink a Russian oligarch's $7.8 million superyacht, reports the BBC . The nearly 160-foot-long Lady...
FBI Raids DC, NYC Homes
of Oligarch With Ties to Putin
Oct 19, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
FBI Raids DC, NYC Homes of Oligarch With Ties to Putin
Aluminum tycoon Oleg Deripaska has also done business with Paul Manafort
- The FBI raided homes linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska Tuesday. The agency didn’t say why they carried out the raids or what they were looking for, saying through a spokesperson only that they were carrying out a "court-authorized law enforcement activity," at a mansion near Embassy...
Wife to Ex-Hubby:
Where's My $600M?
Nov 28, 2020 12:50 PM CST
Wife to Ex-Hubby: Where's My $600M?
Tatiana and Farkhad Akhmedova have a lot to fight about
- Honey, you owe me about $600 million—and I'm waiting. Tatiana Akhmedova is taking her ex-husband to court in London over a fortune including a private jet, an art collection, and several luxury mansions, the
reports. A divorce court has already granted her 41.5% of Farkhad Akhmedov'...
'Trump's Son Should
May 27, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
'Trump's Son Should Be Concerned' by Wiretap Request
Bureau officials reach out to the Spanish government
- "Mr. Trump's son should be concerned." That's the word from Spanish investigator José Grinda, who says the FBI recently obtained wiretaps involving two Russians—oligarch Alexander Torshin and convicted money launderer Alexander Romanov—from Spanish police, Yahoo News reports. Seems the wiretaps led to a brief...
Russia-Linked Firm Paid
$500K to Trump Lawyer
May 9, 2018 2:12 AM CDT
Russia-Linked Firm Paid $500K to Trump Lawyer
Stormy Daniels' attorney releases financial bombshell
- Michael Cohen's legal woes appeared to deepen Tuesday night with a bombshell release from Stormy Daniels' attorney. According to financial records reviewed by the
New York Times
and NBC News , a company linked to a Russian oligarch targeted by US sanctions deposited around $500,000 into an account controlled...
Her Ex Tried to Hide a $500M
Superyacht. It Didn't Work
Apr 20, 2018 12:53 PM CDT
Her Ex Tried to Hide a $500M Superyacht. It Didn't Work
Tatiana Akhmedova will get 380-foot luxury Luna in her divorce settlement with Russian oligarch
- Persistence and a little detective work has paid off for Tatiana Akhmedova, in the form of a $500 million superyacht to be handed over to her by her soon-to-be ex-husband. Reuters and the
South China Morning Post
report that UK judge Charles Haddon-Cave has ordered Russian oligarch Farkhad Akhmedov to...
Russian Oligarchs May Be
Next in Trump's Sights
Apr 5, 2018 1:45 AM CDT
Russian Oligarchs May Be Next in Trump's Sights
Sources say they'll be target of latest round of sanctions
- President Trump's latest round of sanctions against Russia is going to hit some billionaires with close ties to Vladimir Putin, officials say. Sources tell Reuters and the
that the new sanctions, expected to be in place by Friday, will target Russian oligarchs under powers given to Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.