Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
WWF Seeks 'Walrus Detectives'
Jan 18, 2023 3:21 PM CST
WWF Seeks 'Walrus Detectives'
Volunteers will be tasked with counting walruses in satellite images
- The World Wildlife Fund and Britain's national polar research institute are seeking "walrus detectives"—meaning people who can search for walruses in satellite images from the Arctic, not marine mammals with an instinct for detection. Volunteers in the Walrus From Space project will be tasked with counting...
Scientists Say Arctic Wildfires
Exacerbating Climate Change
Sep 19, 2022 3:13 PM CDT
Scientists Say Arctic Wildfires Exacerbating Climate Change
Fires are turning Arctic's 'carbon sinks' into major carbon emitters
- As of late August, wildfires had burned 3 million acres in Alaska. That’s triple the annual average, but it’s "no longer unusual in a warming world," according to a Reuters report that examines how Arctic wildfires may be exacerbating climate change in ways scientists are just...
The Stakes Are
High in the Arctic,
So Biden Makes a Move
Aug 26, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
The Stakes Are High in the Arctic, So Biden Makes a Move
State Department announces plan to appoint ambassador-at-large
- The number of US ambassadors looks set to grow by one. The State Department on Friday announced that President Biden "plans to elevate the Arctic Coordinator position by appointing an Ambassador-at-Large for the Arctic Region." The Senate will need to give its approval regarding the creation of the...
He Hiked 5 Days,
Found Trees Where
They Shouldn't Be
Aug 20, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
He Hiked 5 Days, Found Trees Where They Shouldn't Be
Spruce trees are now growing in the Arctic tundra
- White spruces are migrating north to places where trees haven’t grown for a thousand years. That's not a good thing. As Quartz reports, the trees are normally found in the boreal forests that dominate central Alaska. Climate models have predicted such forests migrating northward as the planet warms,...
Arctic Is Warming 4 Times
Faster Than Anyplace Else
Aug 11, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Arctic Is Warming 4 Times Faster Than Anyplace Else
Weather in North America could be increasingly affected, scientists say
- The Arctic isn't just melting, researchers say: It's warming much faster than the rest of the world is and has been for decades. A study published Thursday confirms scientists' warnings, finding that the rate of temperature increase around the North Pole has been four times the rate that...
in the Arctic
Aug 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Camper in the Arctic Injured by Polar Bear
French tourist survives, but bear in Norway is killed
- A polar bear attacked a campsite Monday in Norway's remote Arctic Svalbard Islands, injuring a French tourist, per the AP . Her wounds weren't life-threatening, and the bear was later killed. The woman, who wasn't identified, was part of a tour group of 25 people camping at Sveasletta,...
Worryingly, Scientists Can
Wear T-Shirts in Greenland
Jul 21, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Worryingly, Scientists Can Wear T-Shirts in Greenland
Ice melt has accelerated in recent days
- T-shirt weather has arrived for a group of people who would be a lot happier with colder temperatures: researchers stationed on Greenland's ice sheet. Scientists tell CNN that temperatures in some areas are around 60 degrees Fahrenheit, 10 degrees higher than normal. The spike in heat has triggered rapid...
In the Antarctic, It Was
70 Degrees Above Normal
Mar 21, 2022 7:52 AM CDT
In the Antarctic, It Was 70 Degrees Above Normal
'Antarctic climatology has been rewritten'
- Based on their public reactions, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to say that weather scientists' minds are blown by how warm things got over the weekend at the north and south poles. In the north, temperatures at some Arctic stations were about 50 degrees above normal,...
Are Forming on
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 19, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Huge Sinkholes Are Forming on Arctic Seafloor
Permafrost is melting beneath the ocean, as on land: researchers
- Melting permafrost has been wreaking havoc on the Arctic landscape, triggering ground collapses that leave deep holes in the earth. Now we have evidence that the same thing is happening under the ocean. Large sections of permafrost, or permanently frozen ground, were submerged as glaciers melted around the end of...
Arctic Forecast: Rainy
With a Chance of Chaos
Nov 30, 2021 12:25 PM CST
Arctic Forecast: Rainy With a Chance of Chaos
Shift to more rain than snow on track to happen decades earlier than expected
- A weird thing happened at the summit of Greenland over the summer: It rained for the first time in recorded history. Now, a new study in
delivers a clear message—get used to it. The study predicts that the Arctic is on a path to seeing more rain...
Man Works to Save the Arctic
—With Help From Camels
Nov 4, 2021 3:53 PM CDT
Man Works to Save the Arctic —With Help From Camels
Research shows large herbivores can slow permafrost thaw
- Scientist Sergey Zimov lives 80 miles from Russia's Arctic coast, yet he can't find any of the permanently frozen ground that once covered much of Siberia. The melting of permafrost has also been observed in Arctic regions in Canada and Norway , where temperatures are rising at more than...
Russian Minister Dies
in Lifesaving Attempt
Sep 8, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Russian Minister Dies in Lifesaving Attempt
Yevgeny Zinichev jumped off cliff to save film director Alexander Melnik; both died
- Russia's emergencies minister died Wednesday during a drill exercise while attempting to save a filmmaker, who also died. Film director Alexander Melnik slipped off a cliff at the Kitabo Oron waterfall in the Putorana nature reserve in northern Siberia, landing in water, the BBC quotes Margarita Simonyan, the head...
Dinosaurs Braved Ancient
Jun 25, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Dinosaurs Braved Ancient Arctic Year-Round
Tiny fossils suggest they nested there through all the seasons
- The High Arctic experiences months of darkness in winter, which can pose a challenge for human inhabitants, just as it did for dinosaurs who occupied the region some 70 million years ago. Paleontologists have long wondered whether dinosaur species found along Alaska's North Slope migrated south in winter to...
Arctic Sea Ice
Is Melting Twice
as Fast Now
Jun 7, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Arctic Sea Ice Is Melting Twice as Fast Now
Cycle of rising temperatures, thinning ice worries researchers
- The melting ice in the Arctic is part of a worrisome climate change loop, researchers say. Global temperatures are rising, which causes more Arctic ice to melt, which exposes more dark water to the sun, which raises global temperatures. In fact, the
reports, sea ice in much of the...
Russia Tests New
Super-Weapon in Arctic
Apr 5, 2021 4:56 PM CDT
Russia Tests New Super-Weapon in Arctic
Bases and troops are being strengthened, and the US and NATO have made countermoves
- Taking advantage of warmer conditions brought by climate change, Russia is strengthening its military presence in the Arctic and testing new, more powerful weapons. Satellite images show bases being built up along Russia's Arctic coastline, CNN reports, including Cold War-era installations that are being refitted. The area close to...
Lost Walrus Has Now Been
Spotted in Wales
Mar 21, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Lost Walrus Has Now Been Spotted in Wales
It was previously seen in Ireland
- A hulking beast more suited for the icy north has been spotted yet again in the British Isles. Per the BBC , a walrus was seen on a Welsh sea cliff on Friday just days after a father and daughter were shocked by the very same sight on an island some...
Brace Yourself: the
Arctic Report Card Is Out
Dec 9, 2020 5:56 PM CST
Brace Yourself: the Arctic Report Card Is Out
It won't look the same in three decades, scientist says
- The Arctic sure isn't what it used to be. As temperatures continue to rise, ice melts, snow recedes, and more dramatic changes are on tap for the region, according to the annual NOAA Arctic Report Card released Tuesday. Speaking to reporters, per
, scientist Rick Thoman called the...
Ship Finds Scary Gas
Bubbling From the Deep
Nov 1, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Ship Finds Scary Gas Bubbling From the Deep
A scientific team finds methane off the coast of Siberia
- Those are methane bubbles—and that's not good news. So said a group of international scientists after analyzing the Siberian coast along the Arctic Ocean, the Weather Channel reports. The 60-member team said the bubbles were mostly dissolving in water, but high methane levels at the surface suggest that...
by Ice Melt
Aug 15, 2020 6:01 AM CDT
Climate Scientist Is Claimed by Ice Melt
Renowned Arctic expert Konrad Steffen dies after falling through ice
- He was a renowned climate scientist who spent his life studying melting ice in the Arctic and warning the world about the consequences. And it was those very dangers that claimed the life of Konrad Steffen, reports
. The 68-year-old fell through ice at his Swiss Camp in Greenland...
Has Grim News
on Polar Bears
Jul 21, 2020 5:17 PM CDT
New Study Has Grim News on Polar Bears
They could be almost completely extinct by 2100
- Polar bears are likely to be almost completely extinct by the end of this century if climate change continues at its current pace, a new study warns. Scientists already knew polar bears were in deep trouble—they depend on sea ice to survive, and sea ice is disappearing—but researchers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Police: On-the-Lam Torture Suspect Is Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.