Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Ukraine, More Grisly
Evidence of Atrocities
Nov 30, 2022 10:20 AM CST
In Ukraine, More Grisly Evidence of Atrocities
EU seeks specialized court to investigate possible Russian war crimes in Ukraine
- Russia's retreat from eastern Ukraine in April revealed what many said was evidence of war crimes . Now, the pattern is repeating in southern Ukraine with the retreat of Russian soldiers from Kherson, the
New York Times
reports, describing "mounting evidence of atrocities" there. In the village of Pravdyne...
Scientists Uncover Remains
of Hessian Troops From 1777
Aug 2, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Scientists Uncover Remains of Hessian Troops From 1777
Forensic teams will try to identify German soldiers who fought in Revolutionary War
- Researchers believe they have uncovered in a mass grave in New Jersey the remains of as many as 12 Hessian soldiers who fought during the Revolutionary War, officials announced Tuesday. The remains, found at the site of Fort Mercer and the 1777 Battle of Red Bank, rested for 245 years...
Marks on Teeth of 82 Bodies
Shed Light on Mass Grave
May 10, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Marks on Teeth of 82 Bodies Shed Light on Mass Grave
Burial site in Netherlands filled with Brits dates to War of the First Coalition in late 18th century
- Experts believe they finally know why 82 bodies were tossed in a mass grave in the Netherlands in the late 18th century. The skeletons discovered well-preserved in clay outside the historic walls of Vianen in November 2020 belong to mainly British soldiers who were there to fight against the French...
Meets Evidence of
Atrocities in Bucha
Apr 4, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Global Outcry Meets Evidence of Atrocities in Bucha
Bucha's mayor reports bodies of executed civilians in the streets, mass graves
- The discovery of the bodies of apparently executed civilians left behind in a Ukrainian town by withdrawing Russian troops was met with international condemnation on Sunday, even as residents assess the horrific toll. One street in Bucha contained the bodies of at least 20 men, CNN reports. "Their hands...
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an
Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
Mar 16, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
'NYT' reports on 2 mass gravesites in Syria, which could hold evidence of war crimes
- The murdered dissidents of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad ended up in mass graves, which could hold evidence of war crimes, the
New York Times
reports after speaking with four men who claim to have worked around two mass gravesites near Damascus, which the
located using satellite images. Each one...
Thousands of Stalin Victims
Found in Mass Grave
Aug 26, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
Thousands of Stalin Victims Found in Mass Grave
Up to 8K bodies were buried at site near airport in Odessa, Ukraine
- The horrors of the first half of the 20th century left plenty of mass graves scattered across Ukraine—and historians believe they have uncovered one of the largest yet. Researchers say between 5,000 and 8,000 bodies are in 29 graves at a site detected during work to expand...
It's Going to Be a Quiet
Canada Day This July 1
Jun 29, 2021 1:39 PM CDT
It's Going to Be a Quiet Canada Day This July 1
Trudeau calls for a time of reflection after discoveries of unmarked graves
- This year’s Canada Day is likely to be somber. The country is reeling from the discovery of the remains of children in hundreds of unmarked graves at former residential schools for Indigenous children. Adam North Peigan, president of Sixties Scoop Indigenous Society Alberta—an organization of residential school survivors—...
Find at School Site
a 'Horrifying Reminder'
of Indigenous Abuse
May 29, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Find at School Site a 'Horrifying Reminder' of Indigenous Abuse
Ground-penetrating radar on property in British Columbia, Canada, finds remains of 215 children
- The site of a residential school that was once the largest in Canada has been hiding a gruesome secret for more than 40 years—one that serves as "a horrifying reminder of the abuses against Indigenous people in Canada," per CTV News . On Friday, Chief Rosanne Casimir of...
Search Teams Make
'Sad and Terrible' Find
Oct 31, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Search Teams Make 'Sad and Terrible' Find
Officials make a grim discovery in central Mexico
- Search teams dug for more remains Thursday at a site in central Mexico where 59 bodies have already been found in clandestine graves over the past week in an area known as a cartel battleground, the AP reports. It was the largest such burial site found to date in Guanajuato,...
May 1, 2020 10:14 AM CDT
Skeletons Found in Mass Grave Depict 'Grim Period'
Remains found in Mexico City were likely those among first group of slaves from Africa
- In the late 1980s, archaeologists unearthed three skeletons in a mass grave in Mexico City, at the former site of a 16th-century hospital that served indigenous people. What made these skeletons stand out was their teeth, which were filed into shapes much like those found in people from parts of...
NYC Steps Up
Apr 10, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
NYC Steps Up Mass Burials
Hart Island sees 'drastic' rise in interments as morgues are cleared for virus victims
- More than 5,000 people have died in New York City from the coronavirus, and it looks like some of them may be headed to what the
New York Daily News
calls the "Island of the Dead." Hart Island, located off the Bronx and run by the...
In Iran, Evidence of
Mass Coronavirus Graves
Mar 13, 2020 9:14 AM CDT
In Iran, Evidence of Mass Coronavirus Graves
Death toll may be far higher than government is letting on
- Iran is home to one of the largest outbreaks of COVID-19 outside of China, with its health ministry saying more than 10,000 people have been infected and 429 have died. The scope may be larger, or so suggests new satellite images. The
reports those images show excavation...
Newly Found Mass Graves
Hold 6,000 Victims in Burundi
Feb 16, 2020 11:15 AM CST
Newly Found Mass Graves Hold 6,000 Victims in Burundi
Truth and Reconciliation Commission has started a nationwide excavation
- Six mass graves containing more than 6,000 bodies—and thousands of bullets—have been uncovered in Burundi. It's the largest discovery of victims since the nation's Truth and Reconciliation Commission began a nationwide excavation last month, Reuters reports. The commission was launched in 2014 to examine atrocities...
Mass Grave to Hold 2.4K
Fetal Remains Kept by Doctor
Feb 12, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Mass Grave to Hold 2.4K Fetal Remains Kept by Doctor
Indiana AG Curtis Hill to preside over Wednesday's burial in South Bend
- More than 2,400 fetal remains found in the possession of a late abortion doctor now have a final resting place. All remains will be buried Wednesday in a single grave at Southlawn Cemetery in South Bend, Ind., in compliance with a state law requiring fetal remains be buried or...
99 Years Later, an
Move in Tulsa
Feb 6, 2020 9:10 AM CST
99 Years Later, an 'Unprecedented' Move in Tulsa
Dig at Oaklawn Cemetery tied to the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921 to begin in April
- A century later, officials plan to dig up part of a cemetery that could possibly hold victims of the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921, in which hundreds of African Americans were killed in an infamous instance of racial violence that city leaders largely stayed mum on for nearly a century....
'Anomalies' Point to
Possible Mass Graves From
Tulsa Race Massacre
Dec 17, 2019 1:56 AM CST
'Anomalies' Point to Possible Mass Graves From Tulsa Race Massacre
Historians believe 300 died when mob attacked, burned black neighborhood
- The official death toll from the 1921 Tulsa race massacre stands at 36, but historians have long believed that around 300 black men, women, and children were killed when white rioters led by the Ku Klux Klan attacked and burned the city's Greenwood neighborhood. University of Oklahoma experts now...
52 Bodies Found in
Mexico Mass Graves
Nov 11, 2019 12:45 AM CST
52 Bodies Found in Mexico Mass Graves
US citizen's relatives are hoping for closure
- Forensic scientists in the Mexican state of Sonora have recovered 10 more bodies from mass graves near a beach town, raising the total number of bodies and skeletons found in the area since October to 52. The state attorney's office said Saturday they were tipped off to the desert...
44 Bodies Found in Well
Sep 15, 2019 11:55 AM CDT
44 Bodies Found in Well
Yet another mass grave discovered in Mexico
- Mexican authorities responding to complaints of a nasty smell have found dozens of bodies buried in a well, the BBC reports. Uncovered earlier this month in the western state of Jalisco, the remains were mostly cut up and distributed between 119 black bags. Authorities have managed to identify 44 of...
Mass Grave Tells of Horror
When the Men Were Away
May 18, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Mass Grave Tells of Horror When the Men Were Away
Archaeologists probe a 5K-Year-old killing
- Talk about a cold case: Archaeologists are investigating a 5,000-year-old mass murder that confirms the brutality of late Neolithic life, LiveScience reports. Eight years ago, a grave was discovered in Poland with 15 women, young men, and children, all killed by head wounds and buried alongside funerary gifts like...
In a 'Chaotic' Grave,
Remains of 232
Nov 22, 2018 9:30 AM CST
In a 'Chaotic' Grave, Remains of 232
Bones possibly linked to Sri Lanka's civil war to be tested in Florida
- Forensic experts in Sri Lanka have been handed the awful task of tracing more than 230 bodies in the country's largest known mass grave. Uncovered in Mannar in March by workers digging a foundation for a building, the grave had produced 90 skeletons by August, though that number has...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.