Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
No One Seems Able
to Save Eviction Ban
Jul 31, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
No One Seems Able to Save Eviction Ban
Lawmakers vent at Biden while pushing CDC to act
- With the national moratorium on evictions by landlords expiring at midnight, members of Congress on Saturday expressed frustration—sometimes angrily—that no one has acted to preserve it. House Democrats tried to pass legislation extending the ban on Friday night but failed, ABC reports. "We are only hours away...
Apr 20, 2021 3:00 AM CDT
Maxine Waters Explains Her 'Confrontational' Comment
'I am nonviolent,' congresswoman says
- Maxine Waters on Monday hit back at Republican attacks of her comments about the deaths of Daunte Wright and George Floyd at the hands of police: "I am nonviolent," she tells theGrio , rejecting any GOP classification of her as attempting to incite violence. When she called on protesters...
Greene's Hit at Maxine Waters:
'Incitement of Violence'
Apr 19, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Greene's Hit at Maxine Waters: 'Incitement of Violence'
GOP congresswoman says she'll try to get Dem colleague expelled
- If anyone knows what it feels like to have colleagues try to remove you from your job, it's Marjorie Taylor Greene, the GOP congresswoman from Georgia who's had her committee roles stripped away and even had a resolution filed against her to expel her from the House. That...
Jan 6, 2020 7:55 AM CST
Latest Victim of Russian Pranksters: Maxine Waters
Democratic congresswoman thought she was talking to Greta Thunberg
- They've gotten Rick Perry , Elton John , Lindsey Graham , and Maxine Waters , among others, and now, Maxine Waters again. "They" being Vladimir Kuznetsov and Alexey Stolyarov, aka Russian rogues Vovan and Lexus, who've placed prank calls to high-profile names worldwide. This time, they fooled the Democratic congresswoman into...
to Grill Me' and 'I
Will Not Be Back'
Apr 10, 2019 9:01 AM CDT
Mnuchin: 'Continue to Grill Me' and 'I Will Not Be Back'
Secretary leaves hearing after heated exchange with Maxine Waters
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and House Financial Services Chair Maxine Waters probably won't be exchanging holiday cards this year after things got a little tense during the Treasury secretary's testimony on Tuesday. Mnuchin had testified about his plans to respond to requests for President Trump's tax returns...
Year's Most Notable Quote
Comes From Rudy Giuliani
in case you missed it
Dec 15, 2018 12:00 PM CST
Year's Most Notable Quote Comes From Rudy Giuliani
Yale ranks his 'the truth isn't the truth' line as No. 1 for 2018
- Yale Law School is out with its annual list of the year's 10 most notable quotes, and it is not President Trump but one of his attorneys, Rudy Giuliani, that has the No. 1 spot. "The truth isn't the truth." Giuliani uttered it to NBC's...
Instant Mail Bomb Theory:
'False Flag Tactics'
Oct 25, 2018 1:32 PM CDT
Instant Mail Bomb Theory: 'False Flag Tactics'
Some on the right think this is a ploy by some on the left
- Rep. Maxine Waters was the intended recipient of not one but two mail bombs, but she tells Blavity that she won't be intimidated. "We have to keep to doing what we're doing in order to make this country right," she says. "That's what I...
Is Now Being
Oct 11, 2018 7:51 AM CDT
Michelle Obama's Famous Advice Is Now Being Flipped
Eric Holder: 'When they go low, we kick them'
- Michelle Obama gave her fellow Democrats a piece of famous advice during her speech at the 2016 Democratic National Convention: "When they go low, we go high." The mantra, delivered during a particularly nasty campaign, is now back in the news for an unusual reason: Some high-profile Democrats...
Burned a Flag
Jul 20, 2018 8:01 AM CDT
The Protesters Never Showed. Counter-Protesters Burned a Flag
Incident occurred Thursday outside Maxine Waters' LA office
- A small crowd gathered Thursday outside the Los Angeles office of US Rep. Maxine Waters to counter an expected protest by a self-styled militia group. The far-right Oath Keepers group didn't show, but an incident occurred nonetheless: Would-be counter-protesters there to support Waters burned an American flag taken from...
Prosecutor Punished for
Posts About Maxine Waters
Jul 10, 2018 12:15 AM CDT
Prosecutor Punished for Posts About Maxine Waters
Deputy DA also insulted Michelle Obama, Mexicans
- A southern California prosecutor was disciplined Monday after posting to social media crude and profane comments about Rep. Maxine Waters, Michelle Obama, Mexican immigrants, and the victim of a police shooting. Michael Selyem, a veteran deputy district attorney who handles gang prosecutions in San Bernardino County, was placed on administrative...
Jul 1, 2018 7:07 AM CDT
Maxine Waters: 'You Better Shoot Straight'
After canceling events over death threats, California rep comes back swinging
- Maxine Waters may have canceled events in Texas and Alabama this weekend over a " very serious death threat ," but she showed up to a Los Angeles rally against US immigration policy with a message: "I know that there are those who are talking about censuring me, talking...
Cancels Events Due
to 'Very Serious
Jun 29, 2018 3:11 AM CDT
Maxine Waters Cancels Events Due to 'Very Serious Death Threat'
Dem says she's been hit with intimidating warnings after her remarks on protesting Cabinet members
- After Rep. Maxine Waters' speech in which she encouraged citizens to protest President Trump's Cabinet members in public, Trump warned her to be "careful what you wish for"—ominous words with new meaning after Waters says she was forced to cancel two events due to threats lobbed...
Trump Is Lying Again
Jun 26, 2018 1:38 AM CDT
Maxine Waters: Trump Is Lying Again
She says she didn't call for the harm of anybody
- Rep. Maxine Waters fired back at President Trump on on Monday, saying the president "lied again" when he claimed she called for harm to his supporters . Waters said that when she called for the public to confront members of the Trump administration , she was calling for peaceful protests, CNN...
Trump Warns Maxine Waters:
'Careful What You Wish for'
Jun 25, 2018 2:25 PM CDT
Trump Warns Maxine Waters: 'Careful What You Wish for'
President fires back after she calls for harassment of Cabinet officials
- After Sarah Huckabee Sanders was booted from a Virginia restaurant, Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters encouraged critics of the White House to do more of the same by confronting and harassing members of the Trump Cabinet in public whenever possible. Now President Trump has fired back, referring to Waters as "...
Man Charged With Making
Death Threats to Rep. Waters
Nov 20, 2017 7:45 PM CST
Man Charged With Making Death Threats to Rep. Waters
Anthony Scott Lloyd left a threatening voicemail at the congresswoman's office
- Federal authorities say a Southern California man has been charged with threatening to kill Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters, the AP reports. The US Attorney's Office said Monday that Anthony Scott Lloyd of Los Angeles was arrested Nov. 9. According to court documents, the 44-year-old Lloyd called the congresswoman's...
Wants to Feel
the Bern at
Oct 13, 2017 9:47 AM CDT
Not Everyone Wants to Feel the Bern at Women's Convention
Bernie Sanders set to speak on opening day of Detroit event; some say it should be women only
- The first national convention by the organizers of the DC Women's March will be held in Detroit starting Oct. 27, but there's already a bit of turmoil over one of the scheduled speakers. The
reports that Bernie Sanders is set to make remarks on opening day...
Mar 28, 2017 7:15 PM CDT
Clinton Defends Rep. Waters After O'Reilly Incident
While decrying 'indignities' faced by women doing their jobs
- Two women who faced slights at the hands of prominent Republicans on Tuesday were defended by Hillary Clinton, who has experience in the area. Clinton, speaking at the Professional Businesswomen of California conference, decried the "indignities" women have to put up with while "simply doing their jobs,"...
C-SPAN Suddenly Switches
to Russian Network
Jan 13, 2017 2:51 AM CST
C-SPAN Suddenly Switches to Russian Network
Network says they probably weren't hacked
- C-SPAN says it's looking into a weird incident Thursday afternoon, when live coverage of Congress was replaced by the Kremlin-funded news channel Russia Today. The bizarre switcheroo happened around 2:30pm when Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters was speaking about the SEC and had mentioned Donald Trump and Russia repeatedly,...
Dodges Ethics Charges
Sep 21, 2012 1:17 PM CDT
Maxine Waters Dodges Ethics Charges
But her chief of staff/grandson is in trouble
- Rep. Maxine Waters didn't break any ethics rules by steering $12 million in bailout funds to OneUnited, a bank her husband owned stock in—but her chief of staff/grandson did, the House Ethics Committee announced today. Acting Chairman Bob Goodlatte, a Republican, said that, after investigating, the panel was...
I'm Sick of
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Sep 4, 2011 11:27 AM CDT
DeMint: I'm Sick of Obama's Speeches
'Grand gestures' don't amount to jobs, says Tea Partier
- He's not exactly yelling "You lie!," but count Jim DeMint as less than thrilled about President Obama's jobs speech on Thursday, Politico reports. “I’m so tired of his speeches it’s going to be hard for me to watch,” the South Carolina Tea...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.