Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Anyone Need a Nearly
Complete Dino Skeleton?
Sep 19, 2023 9:11 AM CDT
Anyone Need a Nearly Complete Dino Skeleton?
Camptosaurus fossil, 'Barry,' could fetch up to $1.2M at auction next month
- One of the most complete dinosaur skulls ever documented will hit the auction block next month along with the rest of the 150-million-year-old
' bones. Such sales of dinosaur fossils are "rare, with only a small number taking place each year globally" as scientists raise concerns about fossils being...
Famous Diana Sweater Fetches
More Than Expected
Sep 14, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Famous Diana Sweater Fetches
More Than Expected
Iconic sheep garment goes for more than $1M at Sotheby's
- Sotheby's expected a sheep sweater made famous by Princess Diana to sell for $80,000 tops. Instead, it sold for a surprise $1.14 million in the auction that ended on Thursday, reports the BBC . The buyer's identity was not revealed. Bids in the two-week auction were under...
Letter: 'I Am More
Valuable to Them
Alive Than Dead'
Sep 5, 2023 6:29 AM CDT
Hemingway Letter: 'I Am More Valuable to Them Alive Than Dead'
Author's note to his lawyer after 2 plane crashes talks about injuries, beef with Abercrombie & Fitch
- A letter that author Ernest Hemingway wrote to his attorney soon after he'd endured back-to-back plane crashes just sold for big bucks on the auction block. NPR reports the that four-page note, scrawled on stationery from a hotel in Venice, Italy, went for $237,055 via Nate D. Sanders...
$4 Thrift Store Find
Could Fetch $250K
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 4, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
$4 Thrift Store Find Could Fetch $250K
Bonhams Skinner to auction painting by NC Wyeth that has been lost for 80 years
- If you've been paying attention to the news , you know not to overlook art for sale at thrift stores. Now we have one more reason to go rummaging: As the
reports, a New Hampshire woman looking for frames to reuse at a thrift store in Manchester ended...
Buyer of World's
Largest Bottle of
Aug 31, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Buyer of World's Largest Bottle of Whisky Revealed
311-liter bottle of Macallan joins Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan's $190M collection
- The owner of the most expensive whisky cask sold at auction has been revealed as a Vietnamese man with a spirits collection valued at $190 million. Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan, who paid nearly $1.2 million for the cask of 32-year-old Macallan single malt whisky, bottled in a 311-liter vessel...
This Car Sold for Nearly $2M,
but It Needs Some Work
Aug 21, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
This Car Sold for Nearly $2M, but It Needs Some Work
It's the burnt-out shell of a 1954 Ferrari
- That somebody snapped up an extremely rare Ferrari for nearly $2 million at an auction is maybe not too surprising. That the Ferrari in question is more of a burnt-out shell of a car than an actual car is the more unusual part. Jalopnik reports that an unnamed buyer shelled...
Worth Up to
$65K Popped Up
on eBay for $50
Aug 18, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Stolen Jewelry Worth Up to $65K Popped Up on eBay for $50
Onyx piece taken from British Museum was listed on auction site in 2016; ex-curator is main suspect
- Jewelry stolen over time from the British Museum—allegedly by a former staffer who'd worked there for decades—have been popping on eBay, with the person hawking the pieces trying to dump them for a tiny fraction of their value, reports the
. The precious items missing from the...
George Harrison's Mom
Was a Bit Irked by His Fans
Aug 14, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
George Harrison's Mom Was a Bit Irked by His Fans
In letter up for auction, Louise Harrison says she was 'disgusted' by screaming girls, 'ashamed' to be female
- If there was one Beatles song that the late George Harrison's mom could've picked to describe how she felt about some fans of her son's band, "Get Back" may have been a top contender. At least that's the impression one gets from a letter penned...
The Stairway Goes Nowhere.
He Bought It for $32K
Aug 2, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
The Stairway Goes Nowhere. He Bought It for $32K
Only in London?
- "I don't think I've ever sold a vacant stairwell," longtime auctioneer Christopher Glenn said on Tuesday. That's now changed. A "disused" London stairwell has sold for about $32,000 at auction, the
reports. The four-story stairwell once serviced the then-office building it was...
Sharon Tate Was Murdered
Behind This Door. It's for Sale
Aug 2, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Sharon Tate Was Murdered Behind This Door. It's for Sale
The top bid is currently $25K
- The auction is dubbed "Legends: Hollywood and Royalty," but one item in it is of a decidedly grim nature. When 1,400 of "the most iconic and fascinating objects synonymous with Hollywood's greatest legends and the world's most famous cultural figures" hit the block in...
Apple's 4GB Phone Flopped.
One Just Sold for $190K
Jul 17, 2023 11:04 AM CDT
Apple's 4GB Phone Flopped. One Just Sold for $190K
Phone from 2007 fetches a record price at auction
- Earlier this year, an original iPhone—still sealed— sold for a world-record $63,000 . Consider the record broken and then some. Another original iPhone just sold for more than $190,000 at the US auction house LCG Auctions , reports the BBC . This one had a little extra cache: It was...
World's Biggest Disney
Collection Is Up for Sale
Jul 9, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
World's Biggest Disney Collection Is Up for Sale
Vast collection of the 'Toy Scout' is on the auction block, featuring rare posters and Dumbo car
- Fans who agree Disneyland is indeed the happiest place on Earth will soon be able to take home more than a souvenir. A passionate collector has brought Disney magic to a sprawling 30,000-square-foot building in Burbank, California, where fans can hear birds chirping in the Enchanted Tiki Room section...
Misidentified Painting Sold for
$40K Could Now Fetch $8M
Jun 20, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Misidentified Painting Sold for $40K Could Now Fetch $8M
Sotheby's to sell original work by old master Peter Paul Rubens, featuring St. Sebastian
- A painting that sold at auction for $40,000 in 2008 is expected to fetch at least $5 million when it goes under the hammer next month—and you can't entirely blame inflation. Last time around,
St. Sebastian Tended by Two Angels
was attributed to the French Baroque painter...
'Impossibly Rare' Books
Are Now on the Auction Block
Jun 15, 2023 11:39 AM CDT
'Impossibly Rare' Books Are Now on the Auction Block
First editions from Walt Whitman, Edgar Allan Poe, and more currently on offer at Christie's New York
- Calling all book lovers: Christie's New York is teasing the sale of "the best collection of early American literature to come to market in a generation," per the
Wall Street Journal
. On offer is the nation's first spy novel, as well as its first bestseller written...
for More Than Beer Money
Jun 5, 2023 5:06 PM CDT
Bar Goes for More Than Beer Money
Batman and Robin costumes from TV memorabilia collection bring nearly as much at auction
- The bar that the
cast bellied up to for 11 seasons has a new owner. Heritage Auctions in Dallas said the winning bid was $675,000, CBS News reports. The bar was the star of the almost 1,000 TV sets, props, and costumes auctioned off from James Comisar'...
Petty Family Notches Small
Victory in Auction Kerfuffle
May 26, 2023 8:03 AM CDT
Petty Family Notches Small Victory in Auction Kerfuffle
Singer's items temporarily taken out of sale block while auction house investigates theft claims
- On Wednesday, Tom Petty's family put an auction house on blast and warned fans not to purchase the late singer's items in an ongoing sale, claiming that property had been stolen out of a secured storage site. By Thursday, RR Auction had pulled the memorabilia temporarily from the...
This Is One of the
Priciest Books Ever Sold
May 18, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
This Is One of the Priciest Books Ever Sold
1.1K-year-old Hebrew Bible fetches $38.1M
- A 1,100-year-old Hebrew Bible, among the world's oldest biblical manuscripts, is now also among the world's most expensive books. The handwritten manuscript on 792 leather-bound pages of sheepskin, dubbed Codex Sassoon after a previous owner, sold for $38.1 million at a Sotheby's auction in New...
These Rembrandts Have Been
Concealed for 200 Years
May 16, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
These Rembrandts Have Been Concealed for 200 Years
Artist's last known portraits held in private collection to be sold at auction in July
- For the first time in 200 years, the public is getting a look at two "extraordinary" portraits painted by the Dutch master Rembrandt van Rijn. British auctioneer Henry Pettifer rediscovered the small 1635 portraits—depicting a wealthy couple from the artist's hometown of Leiden, whose son had married...
Amid Controversy, 'Collector's
Dream' Goes for $196M
May 15, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Controversy, 'Collector's Dream' Goes for $196M
Jewish groups slam sale of late billionaire Heidi Horten's gems, citing husband's Nazi-era dealings
- What's been billed as an "unparalleled collection of jewelry" and a "collector's dream" has now fetched an unparalleled price. A sale series featuring more than 700 gems of the late Austrian billionaire Heidi Horten—a collection described by Christie's as holding everything from "showstopping...
Freddie Mercury's Heir
Decides to Sell His Treasures
Apr 26, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Freddie Mercury's Heir Decides to Sell His Treasures
Sotheby's to auction original lyrics to 'We Are the Champions,' stage costumes, and more
- Freddie Mercury's heir is giving up his treasures. Mary Austin, a close friend of Mercury's who inherited his London home and much of his wealth upon his 1991 death, is selling some 1,500 items tied to the late Queen frontman as part of a Sotheby's auction...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
Crawford on '86 Oprah Interview: 'I Was Like the Chattel'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.