Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 16, 2022 4:33 PM CDT
Soprano Says She'll Boycott Theater Over Blackface
Producers in Italy say Angel Blue knew about the staging before signing up
- Angel Blue says she won't perform in an opera in Italy this month because blackface was used in the staging of a different work this summer on the same stage. The US soprano posted a note on her angeljoyblue Instagram page saying she will be bowing out of
How Opera Singers Are
Helping COVID-19 Survivors
Feb 20, 2021 8:00 AM CST
How Opera Singers Are Helping COVID-19 Survivors
Program focusing on breath exercises to benefit up to 1K patients in England
- Wayne Cameron was skeptical when his doctor suggested the 56-year-old warehouse logistics manager take vocal lessons from opera singers as a way to cope with the respiratory issues that plagued him after he contracted COVID-19 in March. "I thought, 'Am I going to be the next Pavarotti?'"...
Placido Domingo: 'I Never
Promised a Part to a Singer'
Aug 23, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Placido Domingo: 'I Never Promised a Part to a Singer'
The disgraced opera giant says he hopes to clear his name
- Opera legend Plácido Domingo denied ever abusing his power during his management tenure at two US opera houses in an interview with the AP on Sunday, as he embarks on a full-throttle campaign to clear his name after two investigations found credible accusations he had engaged in "inappropriate...
No Way the Met
Pulled This Off.
Apr 26, 2020 4:35 PM CDT
No Way the Met Pulled This Off. No Way.
The Metropolitan Opera makes beautiful music as it battles a $60M shortfall
- Javier Camarena was at his home in Zurich singing an aria from Bellini's
when the screen for the video feed split, and he was joined by Metropolitan Opera music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin in Montreal and general manager Peter Gelb in New York, the AP reports....
Mar 30, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
Placido Domingo Hospitalized in Mexico
Opera singer's coronavirus worsens, but he's said to be responding to treatment
- Just over a week ago, Placido Domingo felt it his "moral duty" to inform the world he'd tested positive for the coronavirus, though he said he was in relatively "good health" despite a fever and coughing. Since then, his condition has worsened enough that he was forced...
More Bad News
for Placido Domingo
Mar 11, 2020 9:10 AM CDT
More Bad News for Placido Domingo
Los Angeles Opera finds 10 credible accusations of 'inappropriate conduct'
- The second of two investigations into allegations of sexual harassment by Placido Domingo has concluded with the Los Angeles Opera finding 10 credible accusations that the former general director engaged in "inappropriate conduct" over three decades. A summary report released Tuesday by the law firm of Gibson, Dunn &...
After Apology, Domingo
Feb 27, 2020 3:40 AM CST
After Apology, Domingo Cancels Performances
He's facing a backlash in his home country
- Global opera star Placido Domingo has canceled his upcoming performances at one of Spain's main opera houses as officials and music venues in the tenor's home country reassess their ties after he apologized for sexually harassing women over the course of two decades. A statement from the Teatro...
Placido Domingo: 'I Accept Full
Responsibility for My Actions'
Feb 25, 2020 3:53 AM CST
Placido Domingo: 'I Accept Full Responsibility for My Actions'
He issues apology after union concludes investigation of harassment allegations
- An investigation into legendary singer Plácido Domingo by the US union representing opera performers found more than two dozen people who said they were sexually harassed or witnessed inappropriate behavior by the superstar when he held senior management positions at Washington National Opera and Los Angeles Opera, according to...
New Proof of 'How
Powerful the Arts Are'
Dec 24, 2019 10:25 AM CST
New Proof of 'How Powerful the Arts Are'
Researchers say engaging in art, music, theater can lower risk of dying early
- It doesn't seem like a stretch to say most people feel pretty good after a stimulating afternoon at the museum or rousing Broadway production. Now, research out of University College London suggests that exposing oneself to the arts—be it going to museums, art galleries, concerts, the opera, or...
Cop Found Her
Singing in the
She's a Viral Hit
Oct 1, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Cop Found Her Singing in the Subway. Now She's a Viral Hit
People want to help Emily Zamourka, a homeless immigrant—but it's complicated
- It's "like the
story, but on social media." That's how a rep for a Los Angeles councilman describes the plight of Emily Zamourka, a homeless woman discovered singing in an empty subway station by an LAPD officer. Zamourka may now have a new lease...
Takes a Turn
Aug 20, 2019 7:34 PM CDT
The Placido Domingo Story Takes a Turn
Debra Wong Yang is brought in to investigate
- Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it will immediately open a "thorough and independent investigation" into allegations of sexual harassment against the opera star Placido Domingo, the company's general director, the AP reports. In a brief statement Tuesday, the opera company said it has hired Debra Wong Yang from...
Aug 14, 2019 12:35 AM CDT
Placido Domingo Concerts Canceled Amid Accusations
LA Opera is investigating sexual harassment allegations
- Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to a report in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades, the AP reports. Domingo has been general director of...
Obama Named in Hubbub Over
Hungary's Super-White Opera
Apr 11, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
Obama Named in Hubbub Over Hungary's Super-White Opera
Director defends move to ask actors to identify as African American
- When the Hungarian State Opera took heat last year for casting only white performers in a production originally about racism and violence in an African American community, the general director, Szilveszter Okovacs, appeared to brush off the wishes of
Porgy and Bess
creator George Gershwin, whose will demands the show...
'Intolerable' Verdi Situation
About to Be Righted
Jan 29, 2019 4:20 PM CST
'Intolerable' Verdi Situation About to Be Righted
5K pages of composer's drafts and sketches will go public
- A 19th-century trunk filled with 5,000 pages of Giuseppe Verdi's "musical musings, stage directions, afterthoughts, and reconsiderations" has long been considered a "holy grail" of sorts, inaccessible to all but the most elite scholars. Per the
New York Times
, however, that trunk is now about to...
Oct 6, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
Opera's 'Best Soprano' Dead at 85
Spain's Montserrat Caballe dies in Barcelona
- Montserrat Caballe, a Spanish opera singer renowned for her bel canto technique and her interpretations of the roles of Rossini, Bellini, and Donizetti, has died, the AP reports. She was 85. Hospital Sant Pau spokesman Abraham del Moral confirmed her death early Saturday. Del Moral says that Caballe's family...
Dec 3, 2017 5:58 AM CST
Met Investigating Sex Abuse Claim Against Famed Conductor
Man says James Levine abused him for years beginning when he was a teenager
- New York's Metropolitan Opera said Saturday it will open an investigation into allegations that its longtime conductor, James Levine, sexually abused a man three decades ago beginning when the man was a teenager. Levine's accuser, now middle-aged, contacted the police in Lake Forest, Ill., in October 2016 to...
The Metropolitan Opera Hears
a Note It's Never Heard Before
Nov 12, 2017 11:10 AM CST
The Metropolitan Opera Hears a Note It's Never Heard Before
Audrey Luna hits the A above high C—twice
- "When I hear the conventional high C of a soprano, I want to say, 'Show us what else you've got,'" says a British composer whose new opera is currently being performed at the Metropolitan Opera. Soprano Audrey Luna did just that. The
New York Times
Gone at Age 89
Aug 9, 2017 6:43 AM CDT
Broadway Star Barbara Cook Gone at Age 89
'I don't remember when I didn't sing. I just always sang': Barbara Cook
- Barbara Cook, whose shimmering soprano made her one of Broadway's leading ingenues and later a major cabaret and concert interpreter of popular American song, has died, the AP reports. She was 89. Cook died early Tuesday of respiratory failure at her home in Manhattan, surrounded by family and friends,...
Makes Opera Debut
Nov 13, 2016 9:33 AM CST
Notorious RBG Makes Opera Debut
Bader Ginsburg gets her first speaking role at Washington National Opera
- The curtain rose on Act 2 of "The Daughter of the Regiment," revealing a tiny woman barely visible in a large dome chair with her back to the audience. Suddenly, she swiveled around—and there was Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, reports the AP . Cheers and prolonged applause rang...
Man Tries to Sing
Opera, Has Police
Called on Him
Jan 28, 2016 8:14 AM CST
Man Tries to Sing Opera, Has Police Called on Him
The 'nocturnal nightingale' has his door bashed in
- Cringe: Police in Amsterdam responding to what UPI terms "screams of agony" kicked in a home's door, only to find the resident alone and perfectly fine. Turns out the man was listening to opera, with headphones on, and had been trying to sing along, reports NL Times . In...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.