X

Placido Domingo Concerts Canceled Amid Accusations

LA Opera is investigating sexual harassment allegations
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Aug 14, 2019 12:35 AM CDT
Shrink
A cyclist passes by The Kimmel Center for the Performance Arts, Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, in Philadelphia.   (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to a report in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades, the AP reports. Domingo has been general director of the LA Opera since 2003 and previously served as the company's artistic director, jobs that gave him the power to cast roles—and, his accusers say, make or break careers. Some of the women told the AP that Domingo used his power at the LA company and elsewhere to try to pressure them into sexual relationships, with several saying that he dangled jobs and then sometimes punished them professionally if they refused his advances.

On Tuesday, the Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star, regarded as one of the greatest opera singers of all time. New York's Metropolitan Opera said it would await the results of LA Opera's investigation "before making any final decisions about Mr. Domingo's future at the Met," where he is scheduled to appear next month. The 78-year-old Domingo is one of the industry's most powerful figures and more than three dozen people in the opera world told the AP that his behavior has long been an open secret. The LA Opera said it would hire outside counsel to investigate the "concerning allegations" against Domingo. In a statement, Domingo called the accusations "deeply troubling and, as presented, inaccurate."

(Read more Placido Domingo stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
8%
10%
17%
8%
6%
50%