Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Arrest Made After Microsoft
Exec Killed in Front of His Child
Aug 17, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Arrest Made After Microsoft Exec Killed in Front of His Child
Jared Bridegan's ex-wife, Shanna Gardner-Fernandez, is third person charged in the case
- Police have arrested a third person in the ambush-style murder of a Microsoft executive last year—his ex-wife. Shanna Gardner-Fernandez, 35, faces charges including first-degree murder, reports Fox News . Prosecutors say she helped plan the slaying of Jared Bridegan, 33, with her new husband, Mario Fernandez, who was previously arrested...
2 Tech Giants
Jul 25, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
2 Tech Giants Beat Expectations
Alphabet, Microsoft deliver strong earnings reports
- Two major tech companies delivered earnings reports after trading ended Tuesday—and both Microsoft and Alphabet, Google's parent company, beat analysts' expectations. Before the closely watched results were released, analysts said the companies would need to show strong numbers to justify the steep rise in stock prices this year....
Microsoft's $69B Activision
Deal Gets a Breather
Jul 19, 2023 10:04 AM CDT
Microsoft's $69B Activision Deal Gets a Breather
Deadline to close acquisition with game maker is extended until Oct. 18
- The deadline for Microsoft's $69 billion acquisition of video game company Activision Blizzard has been extended as the companies seek to close a deal that has been vexed by US regulators, as well as by UK's Competition and Markets Authority. Microsoft believes that pushing back the deadline to...
Microsoft Jumps 4%
After Revealing AI Pricing
Jul 18, 2023 3:57 PM CDT
Microsoft Jumps 4% After Revealing AI Pricing
Stocks hit their highest level in more than 15 months
- Wall Street's frenzy around artificial intelligence helped push stocks to their best level in more than 15 months on Tuesday, along with stronger-than-expected profit reports from several big financial companies. The S&P 500 rose 32.19, or 0.7%, to 4,554.98 and its highest finish since...
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt
$69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
Jul 11, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt $69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
With clock ticking to get the deal closed, court hands Microsoft a major victory
- A federal judge has handed Microsoft a major victory by declining to block its looming $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard. US District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley said in a ruling that the Federal Trade Commission "has not shown a likelihood it will prevail on its...
FTC Sues to Block
Massive Tech Deal
Jun 12, 2023 5:11 PM CDT
FTC Sues to Block Massive Tech Deal
Agency seeks injunction to stop Microsoft's $69B Activision takeover
- The Federal Trade Commission has sued to block Microsoft from completing its deal to buy video game company Activision Blizzard, the latest antitrust challenge to the proposed merger but one that could hasten its conclusion. The FTC's Monday filing in a federal court in San Francisco seeks a restraining...
UK Just Nixed the Biggest
Tech Deal in History
Apr 26, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
UK Just Nixed the Biggest Tech Deal in History
Microsoft's $69B attempt to buy video game maker Activision scuttled over fears of stifling competition
- British regulators have blocked Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy video game maker Activision Blizzard over worries that it would stifle competition in the cloud gaming market. The UK's Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report Wednesday that "the only effective remedy" to the significant...
Ads Enter Bing
to Much Confusion
Mar 30, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
Ads Enter Bing Chat Responses, to Much Confusion
Tech journalists question if chatbot is now giving sponsored answers
- Microsoft is slipping more ads into the AI-powered Bing chatbot , which could add to the "already difficult cognitive load of determining whether you can trust a given response," writes Jay Peters at the Verge . Ads have been appearing within the Bing interface since its launch in February. In...
Microsoft Adds AI Tools
to Its Office Software
Mar 16, 2023 5:58 PM CDT
Microsoft Adds AI Tools to Its Office Software
Google is doing the same with its Workspace applications
- Microsoft is infusing artificial intelligence tools in its Office software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook emails. The company said Thursday the new feature, named Copilot, is a processing engine that will allow users to do tasks like summarize long emails, draft stories in Word, and animate slides in PowerPoint. Microsoft...
Another Web Browser
Bites the Dust for Good
in case you missed it
Feb 19, 2023 7:10 AM CST
Another Web Browser Bites the Dust for Good
Microsoft retires its Internet Explorer, which will now automatically redirect to Microsoft Edge
- Netscape Navigator, Ask Jeeves, and other now-defunct online entities that were inextricably linked to the mid-'90s will have to make room for one more retiree. In what CBS News calls "heartbreaking news" for devotees delivered just in time for Valentine's Day, Microsoft pulled the plug Tuesday on...
Microsoft: We're Working on
Fixes for 'Belligerent' Bing Bot
Feb 18, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Microsoft: We're Working on Fixes for 'Belligerent' Bing Bot
Company says too many questions can 'confuse' the AI-driven search tool
- The reviews are in on the upgraded Bing search engine, now powered by artificial intelligence, and they've ... definitely been mixed. While there's been some praise for Bing's capabilities, this week saw a slew of reviewers (even some who'd initially offered that praise) alarmed at what they'...
Reviewers Are Stunned
at How Good Bing Is
Feb 9, 2023 11:07 AM CST
Reviewers Are Stunned at How Good Bing Is
Techies test the new AI search engine, which is still being rolled out
- Kevin Roose is a tech columnist for the
New York Times
, and he's as surprised as you are that he concludes his latest column like so: "I'm switching my desktop computer's default search engine to Bing. And Google, my default source of information for my entire...
Google Unveils Rival
'Bard' to ChatGPT
Feb 7, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Google Unveils Rival 'Bard' to ChatGPT
Company hopes to keep up in the AI race
- ChatGPT has been making headlines lately, but now it's going to have to share that media real estate: On Monday, Google owner Alphabet announced its new chatbot service, Bard, as well as plans to pump more artificial intelligence into its search functions and open up some of its AI...
Microsoft Added 40K Jobs
in 2022. Now, an About-Face
Jan 18, 2023 9:05 AM CST
Microsoft Added 40K Jobs in 2022. Now, an About-Face
Company on Wednesday announced 10K jobs would be cut
- Add Microsoft to the ever-growing list of tech companies announcing 4- and 5-figure layoffs. The company on Wednesday said it would lay off 10,000 employees, or roughly 5% of its 221,000-person workforce, by the quarter ending March 31, with layoffs beginning this week, reports CNBC . CEO Satya Nadella...
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's
Takeover of Activision Blizzard
Dec 8, 2022 4:15 PM CST
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's Takeover of Activision Blizzard
But Microsoft has good shot of winning a legal challenge
- The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday it is suing to block Microsoft’s planned $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard, saying it could suppress competitors to its Xbox game consoles and its growing games subscription business. The FTC voted 3-1 to issue the complaint after a closed-door...
Pentagon Splits Up
Disputed Cloud Contract
Dec 7, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Pentagon Splits Up Disputed Cloud Contract
Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Oracle will each have a piece of potential $9B deal
- The Pentagon announced Wednesday that it has resolved the long-running battle among tech giants for its cloud computing contract by giving everybody a piece of the pie. Google, Oracle, Microsoft, and Amazon each won part of the deal that could total $9 billion by the time the Joint Warfighting Cloud...
Embedded in Clippy's
Source Code: Letters 'TFC'
Aug 30, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Embedded in Clippy's Source Code: Letters 'TFC'
It's a reference to a NSFW nickname within Microsoft during its development
- Poor Clippy. The much-maligned paper-clip icon that Microsoft rolled out in the 1990s didn't get much love within the company itself during development. As an entertaining story at Seattle Met recounts, the internal nickname for the animated helper was "the f---ing clown." It stemmed in no small...
Netflix Has More News
on Ad-Supported Tier
Jul 14, 2022 1:17 AM CDT
Netflix Has More News on Ad-Supported Tier
It's teaming up with Microsoft for the lower-cost option
- The move Netflix long resisted is getting closer and closer: After announcing in April that it was considering adding a lower-priced, ad-supported subscription tier, the streaming company announced Wednesday that it is teaming with Microsoft to make that idea a reality, Deadline reports. "Today we are pleased to announce...
We Hardly Liked Ye
Jun 15, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Goodbye, Internet Explorer, We Hardly Liked Ye
Microsoft stops supporting the once-dominant browser today
- Internet Explorer is finally headed out to pasture. As of Wednesday, Microsoft will no longer support the once-dominant browser that legions of web surfers loved to hate—and a few still claim to adore, per the AP . The 27-year-old application now joins BlackBerry phones, dial-up modems, and Palm Pilots in...
Modern Workers, Welcome
to the 'Triple Peak Day'
Apr 5, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Modern Workers, Welcome to the 'Triple Peak Day'
Microsoft detects surge of activity at about 9pm
- Once upon a time, white-collar workers went to the office and had two predictable peaks of productivity—just before lunch and just after lunch. Two years after the pandemic upended our world, Microsoft has detected a third burst of activity, this time at night. In a blog post , its researchers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.