Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
His Climb of
El Capitan Is
His Mom's Is Too
Oct 29, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
His Climb of El Capitan Is Legendary. Now His Mom's Is Too
Alex Honnold's mother, Dierdre Wolownick, is the oldest woman to ascend Yosemite peak
- "Alex didn't think I could do it." That was Dierdre Wolownick yesterday, in a blog post describing her latest feat—climbing El Capitan at the age of 70. As for Alex, who is he, and why does Wolownick care what he thinks? He's professional rock-climber Alex...
She Was Badly
Hurt in Her Last
Shot at El Capitan.
Nov 9, 2020 10:15 AM CST
She Was Badly Hurt in Her Last Shot at El Capitan. Now, Success
Emily Harrington becomes first woman to free-climb Yosemite rock formation in less than 24 hours
- Last November, Emily Harrington got banged up pretty badly after she fell from El Capitan in Yosemite National Park, in an attempt to become the first woman to free-climb the rock formation in less than 24 hours following the tough "Golden Gate" route. Better news this time around: The...
Rock Climbing 'Prodigy,'
16, Killed in Cliff Fall
Jun 16, 2020 3:47 AM CDT
Rock Climbing 'Prodigy,' 16, Killed in Cliff Fall
Luce Douady apparently slipped, fell from French cliff
- Luce Douady was seen as a "climbing prodigy" and one of the "brightest young talents" in rock climbing, per AFP . But the French 16-year-old Olympic hopeful is dead after falling from a cliff in southeastern France on Sunday, the BBC reports. She reportedly slipped and fell from the...
She Was Climbing
El Capitan When She Fell
in case you missed it
Nov 30, 2019 3:37 PM CST
She Was Climbing El Capitan When She Fell
Emily Harrington is 'banged up but gonna be OK'
- A top rock climber is thankful to be alive after falling from El Capitan in Yosemite National Park. "I took a bad fall and pin balled a bit then somehow hit the rope [with] my neck," Emily Harrington wrote Monday on Instagram, sharing a photo of her resting...
One of America's Most
Renowned Climbers Dies in Fall
Nov 29, 2019 6:28 AM CST
One of America's Most Renowned Climbers Dies in Fall
Brad Gobright came off rope at El Potrero Chico
- One of America's most accomplished rock climbers fell to his death on a mountain in Mexico Wednesday. Brad Gobright, a 31-year-old Californian, was abseiling down a cliff face on El Potrero Chico when he fell around 1,000 feet, the BBC reports. Climbing partner Aidan Jacobson says they were...
Father on Climbing Trip
With Son Falls to His Death
Nov 4, 2019 10:55 AM CST
Father on Climbing Trip With Son Falls to His Death
Texas man was attempting to descend Washington state's Aasgard Pass
- A father-son climbing trip in the Cascade Mountains turned tragic last week when Robert Jake Colburn apparently slipped and fell several hundred feet to his death. The 60-year-old from Dallas was descending Washington state's Aasgard Pass Thursday with three other people when he got ahead of the group, NBC...
Climber Builds Replica
Wall Over Trump Claim
Oct 5, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Climber Builds Replica Wall Over Trump Claim
Climbers can try to scale a replica border wall in Kentucky
- Impossible to climb? Rick Weber doesn't the think so. The climber and engineer has built a replica border wall to see if professional climbers can get over it, the Hill reports. Weber, 75, says he constructed the wall in response to President Trump's boast that even "20...
El Capitan: 0
Jun 18, 2019 4:03 AM CDT
10-Year-Old: 1; El Capitan: 0
Selah Schneiter becomes youngest documented person to climb El Capitan's 'Nose route'
- A 10-year-old has conquered the massive rock wall that is El Capitan, a dangerous challenge even for rock-climbing legends. Selah Schneiter, whose climbing-guide father had her in harnesses soon after she could walk, had dreamed of scaling the 3,000-foot granite rock face in Yosemite National Park since she was...
Most Climbers Need
3 Days to Conquer This.
These Guys, 2 Hours
Jun 7, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Most Climbers Need 3 Days to Conquer This. These Guys, 2 Hours
Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell say they're never taking on record for El Capitan's 'Nose' again
- Most climbers take three days to scale the 3,000-foot Nose route of Yosemite's El Capitan, perhaps the most intimidating big-wall climbing route on the planet, so it was nothing short of incredible when a pair did it with a time of 2:19:44 last October. Sadly for...
He Scaled El Capitan 177
Times. No. 178 Went Badly
May 8, 2018 1:07 PM CDT
He Scaled El Capitan 177 Times. No. 178 Went Badly
Hans Florine broke ankle, shattered heel
- A rock-climbing legend and record holder who has scaled Yosemite's El Capitan 177 times and wrote a book about his "lifelong obsession" with the climb survived a harrowing plunge on El Capitan's nose Thursday. Hans Florine, 53, was 2,300 feet above the floor of Yosemite Valley...
2 Women Just
Feb 9, 2018 12:13 PM CST
It's Deemed 'Necessary Evil.' 2 Women Just Crushed It
Michaela Kiersch and Paige Claassen join just 12 or so male rock-climbers to ascend rock face
- In Arizona lurks Necessary Evil, an imposing rock face that has presented a "heinous" climb for the only dozen or so male athletes who have ascended it. One climber who attempted it says it's an incredibly challenging task for anyone under 5 foot 10, but this week, two...
Rock Falls in Yosemite
Sep 28, 2017 3:02 AM CDT
Without Warning, a Building-Sized Rock Falls in Yosemite
Tragedy at El Capitan
- Tragedy at Yosemite National Park: A visitor was killed and another injured when a massive chunk of rock fell off the El Capitan granite monolith, one of the world's most famous climbs. The National Park Service says the huge rockfall happened near the "Waterfall Route," a popular...
Jun 5, 2017 11:37 AM CDT
Depressed? Try Rock Climbing
New research shows that scaling a rock face may help ease depression
- Heading out for a weekend climb or scaling the rock wall at the gym may be good therapy for treating depression, new research shows. A University of Arizona study found that a form of rock climbing eased depression symptoms in participants from moderate to mild levels after eight weeks, Inverse...
Jun 5, 2017 5:33 AM CDT
Climber Conquers Yosemite Peak Without Ropes
Alex Honnold scaled granite-face El Capitan in 3 hours, 56 minutes
- A California rock climber has become the first person to conquer Yosemite's El Capitan without using ropes,
reports. Alex Honnold, 31, scaled the nearly 3,000-foot peak on Saturday going free solo, meaning he didn't use ropes, harness, or other safety equipment. "This is the...
Dead Climber Is
Jan 20, 2016 5:53 PM CST
Rescuer Realizes Dead Climber Is His Ex-Wife
'It never even dawned on me that she might be there'
- A volunteer rescuer was shocked to learn the body he was sent to retrieve from a popular New Mexico climbing spot was his ex-wife's, the
Santa Fe New Mexican
reports. Scott Hicks and his fellow rescuers were called to Diablo Canyon on Monday after a 59-year-old woman fell 175...
Jul 7, 2015 3:45 PM CDT
Rock Fall Alters Renowned Yosemite Climb
Those going up Half Dome will have to adjust route
- A massive sheet of rock has fallen from the vertical face of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park, making one of the most popular routes attempted by climbers in North America even more challenging. The granite sheet that peeled off measured roughly 100 by 200 feet. It was discovered by...
For One Leading Climber,
Joys Justify the Risks
Nov 20, 2014 1:05 PM CST
For One Leading Climber, Joys Justify the Risks
Alex Honnold understands why Clif Bar dropped him and 4 others
- News that Clif Bar was dropping five big-name rock climbers from its sponsorship rolls caused a ruckus within the sport and even outside it, the latter if only because non-fans were surprised to learn that climbers had corporate sponsors. But perhaps the biggest name of those five, Alex Honnold, explains...
Cramps Before Fall
Aug 21, 2014 3:00 AM CDT
Yosemite Climber Complained of Cramps Before Fall
Brad Parker had just proposed to his girlfriend hours earlier
- Renowned California climber, surfer, yoga instructor, cyclist, and traveler Brad Parker was dehydrated and seemed fatigued on the day that he died, according to various people who encountered him before he fell while climbing in Yosemite National Park. After climbing a route with his girlfriend and proposing at the top...
Climber Killed in Fall
Hours After Proposing
Aug 19, 2014 10:32 AM CDT
Climber Killed in Fall Hours After Proposing
And girl, 8, falls to death in Yellowstone
- Veteran rock climber Brad Parker summited Cathedral Peak in Yosemite National Park with girlfriend Jainee Dial on Saturday, and then proposed. "This is the happiest day of my life," he told her when she accepted, according to his father. Then the couple parted ways, and tragedy struck. Parker,...
2 Deaths in 2 Days
Jun 4, 2013 6:43 AM CDT
Yosemite Suffers 2 Deaths in 2 Days
Felix Joseph Kiernan struck by falling rock
- Just one day after a teen was swept over a Yosemite waterfall , likely to his death, another person died in the national park. Felix Joseph Kiernan was climbing El Capitan on Sunday when his climbing partner dislodged a rock, officials say. The sizable rock (it measured 1 foot across and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.