Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Horrendous Loss of Life'
After Oil Tanker Explosion
Nov 6, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
'Horrendous Loss of Life' After Oil Tanker Explosion
At least 92 are dead, dozens seriously injured after blast near Sierra Leone's capital
- An oil tanker exploded near Sierra Leone's capital, killing at least 92 people and severely injuring dozens of others after large crowds gathered to collect leaking fuel, officials and witnesses said Saturday. The explosion took place late Friday after a bus struck the tanker in Wellington, a suburb just...
Iran Frees South Korean
Ship It Held for Months
Apr 9, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Iran Frees South Korean Ship It Held for Months
Move comes hours before talks on nuclear deal
- A South Korean oil tanker held for months by Iran amid a dispute over billions of dollars seized by Seoul was freed and sailed away early Friday, just hours ahead of further talks between Tehran and world powers over its tattered nuclear deal. MarineTraffic.com data showed the MT Hankuk...
'Living Hell' Ends for 5 Men
Stranded at Sea for Years
Feb 17, 2021 7:25 AM CST
'Living Hell' Ends for 5 Men Stranded at Sea for Years
The crew of the oil tanker MT Iba will be paid, go home
- They've called it "living hell," understandably. Five men who have been stuck at sea for years—some since July 2017—have finally set foot on land. The
explains they had been crewing the 5,000-ton MT Iba when the oil tanker's owner, Alco Shipping, ran...
Storm Tanker After
Oct 26, 2020 3:24 PM CDT
British Commandos Storm Tanker After Suspected Hijacking
7 suspects are now in custody
- Seven stowaways seized when British naval special forces stormed an oil tanker in the English Channel have been arrested on suspicion of hijacking, police said Monday. Hampshire Police said the men, believed to be from Nigeria, are being held at several police stations on suspicion of "seizing or exercising...
Turn Violent on Oil Tanker
Oct 25, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Report: Stowaways Turn Violent on Oil Tanker
British authorities are investigating the Nave Andromeda
- British police are investigating an undisclosed incident aboard an oil tanker in the English Channel, the AP reports. The incident reportedly took place aboard the Libyan-registered oil tanker Nave Andromeda south of Sandown on Isle of Wight, according to Isle of Wight Radio. "We are aware and dealing with...
Leaking Oil Ship Splits Apart
Aug 16, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
Leaking Oil Ship Splits Apart
And remaining fuel is spilling off the coast of Mauritius
- The grounded Japanese ship that leaked tons of oil near protected areas off the Indian Ocean island nation of Mauritius has split apart, officials said Saturday, with remaining fuel spreading into the turquoise waters, the AP reports. Photos posted on social media by the official cleanup effort with support of...
5 Iranian Oil Tankers
Head for Venezuela
May 17, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
5 Iranian Oil Tankers Head for Venezuela
A Trump official had warned Iran against the move
- Five Iranian tankers likely carrying at least $45.5 million worth of gasoline and similar products are now sailing to Venezuela amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington, the AP reports. The tankers' voyage come after Venezuela's socialist leader Nicolás Maduro turned to Iran for help in flying...
Pentagon: We're Sending Jets,
Other Air Defense to Saudis
Oct 11, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
Pentagon: We're Sending Jets, Other Air Defense to Saudis
Defense Secretary Mark Esper announces move after Iran claims 2 missiles struck its tanker
- The US will send fighter jets and additional air defenses to Saudi Arabia to defend the kingdom against Iran amid heightened tensions between the two Middle Eastern adversaries, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Friday. Esper announced the deployment of several dozen fighter jets, along with other aircraft and additional air...
Iran Claims Attack of
Oct 11, 2019 7:37 AM CDT
Iran Claims Attack of 'Dangerous Adventurism'
Saudi Arabia hasn't yet commented on reported missile strike off its coast against tanker
- Two missiles struck an Iranian tanker traveling through the Red Sea off the coast of Saudi Arabia Friday, Iranian officials said, the latest incident in the region amid months of heightened tensions between Tehran and the US. Saudi officials didn't immediately respond to requests for comment, per the AP...
Iran Calls It an 'Act of Piracy.'
The US Just Stirred the Pot
Aug 15, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Iran Calls It an 'Act of Piracy.' The US Just Stirred the Pot
US calls to extend detention of Iranian supertanker seized in Gibraltar
- The United States moved on Thursday to halt the release of an Iranian supertanker detained in Gibraltar for breaching European Union sanctions on oil shipments to Syria, thwarting efforts by authorities in London and the British overseas territory to defuse tensions with Tehran. The Gibraltar government confirmed that the US...
Iran Busts Another Tanker
Carrying 'Smuggled Fuel'
Aug 4, 2019 6:09 AM CDT
Iran Busts Another Tanker Carrying 'Smuggled Fuel'
Revolutionary Guard says it has seized a third tanker, detained 7 crew
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard has seized an oil tanker carrying 185,000 gallons of "smuggled fuel" in the Persian Gulf, the AP reports via Iranian media on Sunday. State TV and the semi-official Fars news agency reported that seven crew members were detained when the ship was seized late...
Iran Ratchets Up Tensions
With Tanker Seizure
Jul 18, 2019 7:09 AM CDT
Iran Ratchets Up Tensions With Tanker Seizure
Revolutionary Guard captured foreign oil vessel with 12 crew members
- More tensions involving Iran and oil tankers : The nation's Revolutionary Guard forces have seized a foreign oil tanker accused of smuggling oil with a crew of 12, state TV reported Thursday, per the AP . Iran did not identify the tanker or its home nation, but the development comes just...
UK Says Iranian Vessels
Tried to Block Oil Tanker
Jul 11, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
UK Says Iranian Vessels Tried to Block Oil Tanker
Royal Navy vessel intervened, government say
- The British navy says it prevented three Iranian paramilitary vessels from impeding the passage of a British oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz early Thursday, a day after Iran's president warned of repercussions for the seizure of its own supertanker. Iran's Revolutionary Guard denied the allegations, saying...
US Sailors Used Crowbar to
Get This Magnet Off Tanker
Jun 19, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
US Sailors Used Crowbar to Get This Magnet Off Tanker
They say limpet mines used in tanker attack resemble mines displayed by Iran
- The limpet mines used to attack a Japanese-owned oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz last week bore "a striking resemblance" to similar mines displayed by Iran, a US Navy explosives expert said Wednesday, stopping short of directly blaming Tehran for the assault. The comments by Cmdr. Sean Kido...
Oil Tanker Owner:
It Didn't Happen That Way
Jun 15, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Oil Tanker Owner: It Didn't Happen That Way
Owner of the Kokuka Courageous is deeply skeptical that mines were involved
- The owner of an oil tanker attacked near the Strait of Hormuz is pushing back against the US version of events, NBC News reports. The president of the company that owns the Kokuka Courageous, one of two tankers targeted Thursday in a politically charged incident, says the Japanese vessel was...
Report: 2 Oil Tankers
Attacked in Gulf of Oman
Jun 13, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Report: 2 Oil Tankers Attacked in Gulf of Oman
US Navy assists damaged vessels
- Two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz were reportedly attacked on Thursday, an assault that left one ablaze and adrift as sailors were evacuated from both vessels and the US Navy rushed to assist amid heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran. Japan's Trade Ministry said the two...
US Warns World:
Iranian Tankers Are
'Now a Floating Liability'
Nov 8, 2018 12:33 AM CST
US Warns World: Iranian Tankers Are 'Now a Floating Liability'
It all boils down to insurance
- The United States is warning other countries not to allow Iranian oil tankers into their territorial waters or ports, saying such access may run afoul of US sanctions and not only incur penalties, but also result in catastrophic economic and environmental damage should an accident occur. The State Department reminded...
The Oil Slicks
Covered 4 Square
Miles. A Day Later,
13 Times That
Jan 16, 2018 11:05 AM CST
The Oil Slicks Covered 4 Square Miles. A Day Later, 13 Times That
Environmentalists are fretting after tanker spill in East China Sea
- Environmental activists are raising the alarm following what the
New York Times
calls the largest tanker oil spill in nearly 30 years. The Sanchi was carrying 136,000 tons, or more than 1 million barrels, of natural gas condensate when it collided with a freighter in the East China Sea...
'No Hope:' Iranian Tanker Sinks
Jan 14, 2018 6:33 AM CST
'No Hope:' Iranian Tanker Sinks
A week after collision off China coast, Tehran says there are no survivors as ship goes down
- A burning Iranian tanker listing for days off the coast of China after a collision with another vessel sank Sunday, with an Iranian official saying there was "no hope" of survival for the 29 missing sailors onboard. Iranian state television reported that the Sanchi had sunk Sunday in the...
'No Information on Fate' of
Crew of Iranian Oil Tanker
Jan 7, 2018 5:33 AM CST
'No Information on Fate' of Crew of Iranian Oil Tanker
32 missing after ship collides with freighter off coast of China; unclear what caused accident
- An Iranian oil tanker collided with a bulk freighter and caught fire off China's eastern coast, leaving its entire crew of 32 missing and causing the tanker to spill oil into the sea, authorities said Sunday. The missing—30 Iranians and two Bangladeshis—are all from the tanker Sanchi,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.