Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Aug 16, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Museum Sues Ex-Director Over Fake Basquiats
Orlando Museum of Art says damage from fraud scheme may be irreparable
- The Orlando Museum of Art has admitted its "99-year legacy was shattered" when it was found to be exhibiting fake paintings attributed to Jean-Michel Basquiat. Now it wants justice. In a lawsuit filed Monday, OMA "seeks to hold responsible the people the Museum believes knowingly misrepresented the works'...
Jul 13, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
New Tenant in Basquiat's Old Home: Angelina
Actress leases Manhattan residence for her fashion collective
- The address of 57 Great Jones Street is well-known in New York City for good reason: Andy Warhol bought the former carriage house in 1970 before leasing it to art world protege Jean-Michel Basquiat, per Hyperallergic . Basquiat not only lived and worked there for about five years, but he died...
Fake Basquiats Took as
Little as 5 Minutes to Create
Apr 12, 2023 12:28 PM CDT
Fake Basquiats Took as Little as 5 Minutes to Create
California man admits involvement in art fraud scheme that embarrassed Orlando art museum
- Most of the 25 paintings displayed in the Orlando Museum of Art's Jean-Michel Basquiat exhibit were actually created by a 45-year-old auctioneer from California, whose name appeared on a shipping label on the back of one of the cardboard canvases, authorities say. Prosecutors announced they'd reached a plea...
FBI Seizes Museum Exhibit of
Questioned Basquiat Paintings
Jun 24, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
FBI Seizes Museum Exhibit of Questioned Basquiat Paintings
Orlando museum has defended the art as legitimate
: FBI investigators went to an art museum on Friday and left with more than two dozen paintings. A spokeswoman for the Orlando Museum of Art said the FBI brought a warrant for access to an exhibit of works advertised as being by the late Jean-Michel Basquiat, the AP reports....
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Sean Combs Pays $21.1M for
Work by Noted Black Artist
May 19, 2018 2:15 PM CDT
Sean Combs Pays $21.1M for Work by Noted Black Artist
The producer has pieces by Keith Haring, Ai Weiwei, and Andy Warhol
- The mystery art collector who phoned in the winning $21.1 million bid at a Sotheby’s auction for a painting by African-American artist Kerry James Marshall has been revealed. That someone has turned out to be Grammy Award-winning record producer Sean Combs, aka Diddy, reports Marshall’s long-time art...
Painting Made by 21-Year-Old
in 1982 Sells for $110.5M
May 19, 2017 1:20 AM CDT
Painting Made by 21-Year-Old in 1982 Sells for $110.5M
Jean-Michel Basquiat masterpiece busts auction records
- An artwork created by a 21-year-old American in 1982 broke several records at an auction in New York City Thursday night—including most expensive work by a US artist. Jean-Michel Basquiat's untitled painting of a skull sold for $110.5 million to Japanese fashion tycoon Yusaku Maezawa, who set...
Modern Art Fever:
Basquiat Fetches $16.3M
May 11, 2012 11:54 AM CDT
Modern Art Fever: Basquiat Fetches $16.3M
It's a record price for the artist
- Well, it's no $120 million , but a Jean Michel Basquiat painting made a splash at an auction last night at Phillips de Pury & Company, selling for a whopping $16.3 million—an all-time high for the neo-expressionist. Coming just two days after a record-setting Christie's auction , the...
May 1, 2009 10:21 AM CDT
Strapped Art Market Preps for Auctions
Expectations low as auction houses try variety of tactics
- After a 7-year boom, art auction houses are struggling as collectors hit hard by the recession close their wallets. Sotheby’s predicts it will pull in $179 million to $256 million at spring sales, compared to $742 million a year ago. As the spring events approach, auctioneers are employing an...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Philadelphia Journalist Shot Dead at Home
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.