Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Gay Officer Dismissed Under DADT Will Rejoin Air Force
US appeals ruling, but does not ask for stay
- An openly gay Air Force officer who was dismissed in 2006 under Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell will rejoin the military, the
reports. A federal judge ordered Maj. Margaret Witt’s reinstatement in September; the Obama administration appealed that decision as expected, but did not ask for...
Pentagon to Comply With DADT Ruling
But don't 'come out' just yet, observers say
- Gay service members are—for now—free to come out of the closet, though advocacy groups don't recommend doing so just yet. The Obama administration has asked to delay the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell," but the Pentagon says it will comply immediately with the court's order...
Judge Gives Gay Air Force Nurse Personal Words of Support
'You are truly blessed as a family'
- The judge who ordered the Air Force to reinstate a gay flight nurse yesterday also paused to deliver personal words of encouragement to Margaret Witt, notes the
. "You said something in the trial that resonated with me," said District Court Judge Ronald Leighton. "You said...
Judge Orders Air Force to Reinstate Lesbian
Margaret Witt was discharged under 'don't ask, don't tell'
- Another setback for "don't ask, don't tell": A federal judge says the Air Force violated the constitutional rights of a highly decorated flight nurse when it discharged her for being gay, and ordered that she be given her job back as soon as possible. US District Judge Ronald Leighton...
On Gays in Military, Obama Moves Slowly
White House to defend 'don't ask' in court, will seek 'sensible' change
- On gays in the military, President Obama is stalling. During the campaign, he promised to repeal the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy instituted as a compromise early in President Clinton’s term. Now that he’s got the chance, the
Wall Street Journal reports
, he’s being...
Popular on Newser
Harry Reid: If Dems Win, Give GOP 'No More Than 3 Weeks'
Murkowski: I've Decided About My Barrett Vote
Reporters Ask McConnell: What's Wrong With Your Health?
Report: Here's How Woman Died in 'Ungodly' Accident
Suspected Culprit Emerges in Mystery 'Havana Syndrome'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.