Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NY Governor Makes Move on
'Out of Control' Rikers Island
Sep 18, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
NY Governor Makes Move on 'Out of Control' Rikers Island
Kathy Hochul signs new legislation, releases 191 prisoners to relieve overcrowding
State lawmakers who'd lobbied New York's governor to address the overcrowding crisis at Rikers Island have seen results. Per CBS , Kathy Hochul on Friday signed the Less Is More Act and ordered 191 inmates, most with technical parole violations, to be released from the beleaguered prison complex....
Mar 22, 2020 8:23 PM CDT
Harvey Weinstein Tests Positive for Coronavirus
New York prison puts former producer in isolation
- Convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, New York prison officials said. He's in isolation at Wende Correctional Facility, the Niagara Gazette reports. Another inmate at Wende also has tested positive. Weinstein was transferred there Thursday from Rikers Island; new state prisoners are sent to...
Hours After Sentencing
Mar 12, 2020 2:53 AM CDT
Weinstein Hospitalized Hours After Sentencing
Rep says 67-year-old had chest pains
- Harvey Weinstein was back in the hospital before the end of the first day of his 23-year sentence for sex crimes. The 67-year-old, who was sentenced in New York Wednesday, was transferred from the Rikers Island jail complex to Bellevue Hospital hours later after experiencing chest pains, a rep tells...
Insider: Weinstein's Cell
Will Be Like 'Little Hotel'
Feb 26, 2020 6:26 AM CST
Insider: Weinstein's Cell Will Be Like 'Little Hotel'
Inmate No. 06581138Z won't be mixing with the general population
- To the state of New York, Harvey Weinstein is now Inmate No. 06581138Z. Weinstein, who was convicted of sex crimes on Monday, was taken to a prison ward at Manhattan's Bellevue Hospital Center after the verdict. His next stop is expected to be the notorious Rikers Island jail. Lawyers...
After Guilty Verdict, Weinstein
Didn't Make It to Jail
Feb 25, 2020 12:57 AM CST
After Guilty Verdict, Weinstein Didn't Make It to Jail
He was rerouted to Bellevue Hospital with chest pains
- Harvey Weinstein's first night in jail after being found guilty of rape and sexual assault has apparently been delayed. A few hours after the verdict was read out in a New York City courtroom, the 67-year-old rapist was being transferred to the infirmary at Rikers Island in an ambulance...
Report: Highly Touted Rikers
Project 'Rigged' From Start
Dec 10, 2019 6:32 PM CST
Report: Highly Touted Rikers Project 'Rigged' From Start
ProPublica says NYC spent millions on program that didn't work
- New York City is shutting down the Rikers Island jail complex, long plagued with guard and inmate violence. Now, an investigative piece by the journalism organization ProPublica adds one more black eye to the mix. The story recounts how New York City, desperate to fend off bad publicity or federal...
Report: Rikers Guards Watched
Suicide Attempt, Failed to Act
Dec 4, 2019 4:26 AM CST
Report: Rikers Guards Watched Suicide Attempt, Failed to Act
3 officers and a captain have been suspended
- Guards at one of America's most notorious jails watched for several minutes without intervening as a young inmate tried to hang himself, sources say. Insiders tell the
New York Times
that at least four corrections officers at the Rikers Island complex failed to act as 18-year-old Nicholas Feliciano, who...
Gets a Death Date
Oct 18, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
'Torture Island' Gets a Death Date
Rikers Island complex to be replaced with 4 smaller jails by 2026
- Rikers Island's death sentence will come in 2026, according to an $8 billion plan approved by New York City lawmakers on Thursday. There are roughly 7,000 inmates currently held at the island complex in the East River, sometimes referred to as "Torture Island" or "the Guantá...
Out of Rikers,
With Unusual Help
Jun 18, 2019 4:47 PM CDT
Manafort Stays Out of Rikers, With Unusual Help
Barr's deputy intervenes to stop temporary transfer
- Paul Manafort, President Trump's onetime campaign manager, has been spared from a planned transfer to the notorious Rikers Island jail after the Department of Justice stepped in. Manafort, who has been imprisoned in Pennsylvania, was scheduled to be moved to Rikers while awaiting a state trial in New York,...
Reports: Manafort Headed
to 'Worst Place on Earth'
Jun 4, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Reports: Manafort Headed to 'Worst Place on Earth'
He'll be in solitary confinement at Rikers Island for 'protection,' per Fox
- President Trump's former campaign chairman is reportedly headed for what was once described as " the worst place on Earth ." As soon as Thursday, Paul Manafort is to be transferred to New York City's notorious Rikers Island prison and "will be held in solitary confinement for...
Inside the Truly Weird Heist
of a Salvador Dali Painting
Oct 13, 2018 8:17 AM CDT
Inside the Truly Weird Heist of a Salvador Dali Painting
It was stolen from Rikers Island
- Perhaps the only thing weirder than the fact that a Salvador Dali painting hung for decades in Rikers Island jail complex is the heist that took the piece from its walls. James Fanelli has the story for
, and goes back to the start: In 1965 Dali had agreed to...
Man Who Escaped Rikers
Never Got Off the Island
Jul 27, 2017 7:10 AM CDT
Man Who Escaped Rikers Never Got Off the Island
Inmate was found the following morning
- Escaping from Rikers Island prison is a two-step process: Flee your jail, then somehow make it off the island. Authorities say a 24-year-old inmate managed step one but not the all-important step two, reports the
New York Times
. This appears to be what happened: Guards took six inmates from one...
Rikers Island Jail—'the Worst
Place on Earth'—Will Close
Mar 31, 2017 6:13 PM CDT
Rikers Island Jail—'the Worst Place on Earth'—Will Close
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio announces plan to close US' largest jail
- The days appear to be numbered for America's largest jail, once described as "the worst place on Earth," WPIX reports. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Friday that Rikers Island jail will be closed. "It will take many years," CNN quotes de Blasio...
He Sat in Rikers
for 5 Months;
$2 Would Have
Jun 2, 2016 8:17 AM CDT
He Sat in Rikers for 5 Months; $2 Would Have Freed Him
Aitabdel Salem says he didn't know his bail had changed
- Aitabdel Salem needed to hand over only $2 to bail himself out of Rikers Island, a fact he found out after a five-month stay. The 41-year-old Queens man was initially jailed on $25,000 bail for allegedly attacking an officer who arrested him on suspicion of theft at a retail...
in Plea Deal
Mar 21, 2016 6:45 PM CDT
Woman's Rikers Nightmare Ends in Plea Deal
Candie Hailey, 32, spent more than 2 years in solitary
- Candie Hailey's horrific experience with Rikers Island—which included solitary confinement, suicide attempts, and smearing feces on herself—has finally ended in a plea deal, the AP reports. The 32-year-old pleaded guilty to non-criminal charges Monday for her behavior at Rikers, where she served 29 months awaiting a trial...
Feb 17, 2016 7:20 AM CST
Ex-Rikers Inmate: 2-Plus Years in Solitary Ruined Me
'I don't think I'll ever be normal again': Candie Hailey
- Six weeks after her arrival at Rikers Island, an argument over who should clean a shower sent Candie Hailey to solitary confinement—known as "the bing." It was the first time, but it would not be the last. Of her first 29 months in jail, Hailey served about...
Ex-Rikers Inmate Killed
on Eve of Huge Payout
Nov 29, 2015 2:50 PM CST
Ex-Rikers Inmate Killed on Eve of Huge Payout
Robert Hinton had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner with his family
- Robert Hinton had a chance to move on with his life. But the former inmate of Riker's Island—whose savage beating there by guards spawned a pending $450,000 settlement—was shot and killed Thursday night outside a housing project in Brooklyn, the
reports. Hinton had just...
Suit: Black Man
Did 6 Weeks
Oct 20, 2015 9:31 AM CDT
Suit: Black Man Did 6 Weeks at Rikers— Over Hoodie
NYC's David Owens lost his job after being accused of crime he didn't commit
- A solid alibi did nothing to keep David Owens from getting arrested—because he matched a less-than-credible witness' vague description of a subway thief who was a young black male in a hoodie, the
New York Daily News
reports. Owens is now suing New York City and 11 NYPD officers...
Prosecutors: Rikers Guards
Beat Low-IQ Teen Inmate
Sep 5, 2015 3:20 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Rikers Guards Beat Low-IQ Teen Inmate
Mentally challenged youth was allegedly attacked in a camera-less supply room
- Two guards at Rikers Island are facing prison time themselves after being charged with assaulting an 18-year-old mentally challenged inmate and lying on paperwork to cover it up, the AP reports. In December, Ambiorix Celedonio, who has an IQ of 65, was working in the mess hall when he got...
NYC to Do Away With Bail
for Non-Violent Suspects
Jul 8, 2015 8:07 AM CDT
NYC to Do Away With Bail for Non-Violent Suspects
Beginning in 2016, judges can replace bail with supervision
- Thousands of New Yorkers accused of low-level or non-violent crimes won't face the prospect of raising cash for bail under a plan that seeks to keep such suspects out of the troubled Rikers Island jail complex. The $18 million city plan, detailed to the AP ahead of the announcement...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
Cops: Woman Tries to Buy Baby at Walmart
Elon Musk Has an Offer for McDonald's
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Woman Checks Spam, Finds a $3M Treat
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.