Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is Even More So
for Single Women
Jun 15, 2021 8:14 AM CDT
'Emotionally Devastating' IVF Is Even More So for Single Women
Alicia Lombardini advocates in the 'NYT' to ease logistical, financial obstacles for moms on their own
- Alicia Lombardini became a mother right before the pandemic hit, and she's now the proud mom of an 18-month-old son. But hers wasn't a typical or easy journey to motherhood, and she's hoping maybe someday it will be for single moms like herself, she writes in the...
Oct 18, 2019 9:14 AM CDT
Former NFLer Donates 173rd Home: This Is 'Therapy'
Warrick Dunn's mom was killed when he was 18; his mission has been to help single parents
- After struggling through some recent hard times that led her to move back in with her mother, LaToya Reed and her 18-year-old son, AnTrez, received a most welcome gift on Tuesday: a fully furnished two-bedroom home in St. Petersburg, Fla. The house offering was thanks to a partnership between Habitat...
No, Young Kids
Jul 6, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
No, Young Kids Don't
No difference in well-being of kids of single moms by choice, heterosexual couples: study
- Ladies considering becoming single mothers may get a confidence boost from a new study out of the Netherlands, which has found no difference in the well-being of young children raised by women who chose to become pregnant without a partner and those from more traditional households. With fertility treatments for...
Single Mom Faces Jail
for Selling Food on Facebook
Nov 7, 2016 7:34 AM CST
Single Mom Faces Jail for Selling Food on Facebook
Mariza Ruelas belongs to a food group on the site
- When California single mother of six Mariza Ruelas joined the Facebook group 209 Food Spot a few years ago, she and other members would exchange recipes, meet for potlucks, and sometimes swap or sell their dishes among members. So Ruelas said yes when a member of the group asked to...
Why This Single
Up Like a
Sep 5, 2016 1:50 PM CDT
Why This Single Mom Dressed Up Like a Dad
'I wasn't about to let him miss out,' Texas' Yevette Vasquez says
- A Texas mom stepped up to the plate (complete with a Texas Rangers baseball cap) for her son last week in the most heartwarming way. Fox 4 reports that Yevette Vasquez was dropping her son Elijah off at Fort Worth's Sue Crouch Intermediate School Thursday morning when she remarked...
Thrown in Jail
Jul 15, 2016 6:16 PM CDT
Single Mom Thrown in Jail for Overgrown Lawn
Ebony Conner's 5 kids waited at their Illinois home while she cleared things up
- An Illinois woman with five kids was arrested July 7 and briefly thrown in jail for an offense that the town of Cahokia obviously feels strongly about: not mowing her lawn, the
reports. Single mom Ebony Conner tells KMOV she was verbally warned by a municipal code-enforcement officer back...
Body Found After
Alleged School Affair
Jun 20, 2016 8:00 AM CDT
Pregnant Teacher's Body Found After Alleged School Affair
Arrested assistant principal Robert Marks has yet to talk
- A married middle school assistant principal has been arrested in the murder of a pregnant teacher with whom he was allegedly carrying on an affair in a case that's shaken Baton Rouge, La. Instructional specialist Lyntell Washington, 40, was seven months pregnant and the single mom to a 3-year-old...
CDC: This Is America's
Most Sleep-Deprived Group
Jan 7, 2016 8:03 AM CST
CDC: This Is America's Most Sleep-Deprived Group
Half of single moms and 42% of single dads say they don't feel rested most mornings
- Sleep problems are widespread in the US, affecting adults and kids alike, but a new survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention finds that single moms not only sleep less than any other demographic, they also have a harder time falling and staying asleep and they are more...
Single Mom Returns
Wallet With $1K
Aug 3, 2014 4:30 PM CDT
Single Mom Returns Wallet With $1K
Fargo woman said, 'God is really testing me today'
- A single mother in Fargo says she hoped to set an example for her 7-year-old daughter when she returned a wallet containing $1,000 that the two found while running errands. Sadie Hill and her daughter, Adalee, found the wallet earlier this week in a parking lot. Hill said she...
Mom's the 'Breadwinner'
for 40% of US Families
May 29, 2013 10:59 AM CDT
Mom's the 'Breadwinner' for 40% of US Families
But in many cases, it's because she's a struggling single parent
- You kids had better respect your moms: In a skyrocketing number of American homes, she's the one putting food on the table as stay-at-home moms become things of the past. Women are now the primary or only income source for 40% of US households with kids, according to a...
Apr 5, 2013 10:59 AM CDT
First Lady Calls Herself 'Busy Single Mother'
Michelle Obama quickly corrects herself in TV interview
- A Vermont TV station's interview with the first lady is getting lots of attention for unintended reasons, notes Mediaite . In the course of talking about the demands on busy parents, Michelle Obama slipped up and referred to herself as a "busy single mother" before quickly correcting herself. The...
Only Tip on $138 Meal:
'Single Mom, Sorry'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 4, 2012 7:00 PM CST
Only Tip on $138 Meal: 'Single Mom, Sorry'
Incident, real or not, sparks a firestorm on Reddit
- Here's a tip for bad tippers: Don't make lame excuses. That's a lesson one woman may be learning after allegedly leaving no tip on a $138 bill at a restaurant, and instead writing on the bill, "Sorry, single mom." As if that weren't bad...
Most Babies to Young Moms
Born Out of Wedlock
Feb 18, 2012 7:14 AM CST
Most Babies to Young Moms Born Out of Wedlock
More than half of births for women under 30 occur outside marriage: NYT
- Out-of-wedlock births have been rising in the United States for 50 years, but now they've crossed a big threshold—more than half of all the babies born to women under 30 are born outside of marriage, reports the
New York Times
. While 59% of babies overall are born to...
I Didn't 'Attack'
Mar 5, 2011 9:30 AM CST
Huckabee: I Didn't 'Attack' Natalie Portman
He's just very happy about her pending nuptials
- Mike Huckabee will have you know that he didn't diss Natalie Portman's out-of-wedlock pregnancy— contrary to what you might have read in the "Hollywood media" —nor, for that matter, "did I criticize the hardworking single mothers in our country," reports Politico. He is, however, really glad...
New Moms, Don't
Quit Your Jobs
Jan 6, 2011 3:24 PM CST
New Moms, Don't Quit Your Jobs
Stay-at-home mother warns about the long-term financial consequences
- Katy Read left her full-time job as a reporter in 1996 to raise her two sons and remains grateful for all the moments she
miss as they grew up. That's the good news. Here's the bad: "Now I lie awake at 3 a.m., terrified that as a...
Hits Back at
Aug 13, 2010 7:22 AM CDT
Jennifer Aniston Hits Back at Bill O'Reilly
...by calling him 'Prince Charming'
- Jennifer Aniston hit back at Bill O'Reilly, who recently slammed her views on single motherhood as "destructive to society"...by complimenting him. "Of course, the ideal scenario for parenting is obviously two parents of a mature age. Parenting is one of the hardest jobs on earth," she...
Fake 'Obama Mom' Ads
Jul 24, 2010 10:56 AM CDT
Fake 'Obama Mom' Ads Dupe Students
They're similar to ploys used to hawk subprime loans
- Pro Publica sheds light on a particularly scummy practice all the rage on the Internet designed to sucker low-income single mothers: So-called "Obama mom" ads are springing up all over promising mothers that the president wants them to return to school so badly he's created special federal loans...
Scott Brown: From
Latchkey Kid to
Feb 23, 2010 12:55 PM CST
Scott Brown: From Latchkey Kid to Male Model to Senator
His story is 'part Horatio Alger, part Zoolander'
- One look at Scott Brown’s past, Frank Bruni writes, and you can see that “he’s indisputably self-made” with a “background that’s part Horatio Alger, part Zoolander.” Sure, the “famous truck” was purchased “not so he could haul lumber” but to haul his...
Palins, Oprah Discuss
Bristol's Sex Life
Jan 22, 2010 4:40 PM CST
Palins, Oprah Discuss Bristol's Sex Life
Sarah Palin, Bristol Palin talk abstinence
- American's most famous teen mom and her famous mom, Sarah Palin, talked abstinence with Oprah today. Bristol Palin plans to hold to her vow not to have sex until she's married, even though the queen of all media offered her an out: "It's nobody's business when you chose to...
Army Charges Single Mom for Going AWOL
Jan 13, 2010 2:12 PM CST
Army Charges Single Mom for Going AWOL
She faces prison time for refusing to deploy to Afghanistan
- The Army has filed court-martial charges against Alexis Hutchinson, an Army cook who refused to deploy to Afghanistan because she couldn't find anyone to look after her 1-year-old son. Hutchinson, 21, is charged with "missing movement" and absence without leave, among other things, reports the
Savannah Morning News
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
Longest-Living President Celebrates 98th Birthday
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Florida's Death Toll Climbs After Hurricane
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.