Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Malawi Has an Unusual
Offer for Mike Tyson
Nov 30, 2021 7:29 AM CST
Malawi Has an Unusual Offer for Mike Tyson
The country wants him as its new cannabis ambassador, but his rape conviction hovers
- In "something we weren't expecting" news this week, Mike Tyson has been asked to be an ambassador. Specifically, the cannabis ambassador for the African nation of Malawi, which hopes that the former world heavyweight champ's brand will help bring investors to its nascent medicinal pot industry. "...
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash
Had Cocaine, Pot in System
Sep 23, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash Had Cocaine, Pot in System
5 died after balloon hit power lines in New Mexico
: The hot air balloon pilot killed along with his four passengers in a crash in Albuquerque, NM, in June had drugs in his system, the Federal Aviation Administration says. A toxicology report released Wednesday says blood and urine samples taken from 62-year-old Nicholas Meleski show he had marijuana and...
After Olympic Letdown, WADA
to Review Controversial Ban
Sep 15, 2021 12:22 PM CDT
After Olympic Letdown, WADA to Review Controversial Ban
Sha'Carri Richardson lost spot in Tokyo Games due to pot use
- Sha'Carri Richardson missed her chance to compete in Tokyo's Summer Olympics due to pot use, but a move by the World Anti-Doping Agency could keep future athletes from meeting the same fate. On Tuesday, WADA announced it will set up an advisory committee to review whether cannabis should...
A Warning for
Sep 7, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Warning for Cannabis Users Under 45
They're almost twice as likely as nonusers to suffer a heart attack, study finds
- Heart attacks are significantly more prevalent in US adults under 45 who use cannabis than those who don't, according to researchers, who dispute the idea that cannabis is safe. Their study, published Tuesday in the
Canadian Medical Association Journal
, looks at the health data of more than 33,000...
We May Not Need
Federal Marijuana Laws
Jun 29, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas: We May Not Need Federal Marijuana Laws
Because of the government's 'piecemeal approach'
- One of the Supreme Court's most conservative justices thinks we may be able to do away with federal weed laws. Clarence Thomas released a statement Monday in connection with the high court declining to hear an appeal from a Colorado pot dispensary looking to block the IRS from getting...
Amazon Doesn't Care About
Jobseekers' Pot Use Anymore
Jun 2, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Amazon Doesn't Care About Jobseekers' Pot Use Anymore
Country's second-largest private employer will no longer test applicants for cannabis
- Amazon said Tuesday that it will stop testing jobseekers for marijuana. The company, the second-largest private employer in the US behind Walmart, is making the change as states legalize cannabis or introduce laws banning employers from testing for it. The AP reports that in March, a New York man sued...
Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Feb 8, 2021 10:05 AM CST
'Cultural Embarrassment:' Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Rain, drought, pandemic, legalization, fewer farmers all mean less ganja on the island
- Jamaica is running low on ganja. Heavy rains followed by an extended drought, an increase in local consumption, and a drop in the number of marijuana farmers have caused a shortage in the island's famed but largely illegal market that experts say is the worst they've seen. "...
On Marijuana, a
Dec 2, 2020 9:40 AM CST
On Marijuana, a 'Huge, Historic Victory'
UN committee takes cannabis for medical use off of list of most dangerous drugs
- Drug policy advocates are celebrating a win this week after a United Nations commission voted to remove marijuana for medical use from a list of the world's most dangerous drugs. In a 27-25 vote, with only Ukraine abstaining, the 53 member states of the UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs...
First Marijuana Shop in
Major East Coast City Opens
Mar 9, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
First Marijuana Shop in Major East Coast City Opens
Boston's Pure Oasis expects big crowds
- The first recreational marijuana shop in a major East Coast city opens Monday in Boston, where owners are bracing for large crowds. Pure Oasis owners Kobie Evans and Kevin Hart say they're preparing for up to 1,000 customers a day to visit the store—which is also the...
Should Bengals, Browns Fans
Qualify for Medical Pot?
Jan 9, 2020 7:07 AM CST
Should Bengals, Browns Fans Qualify for Medical Pot?
Ohio board will actually consider the question
- Live in the state of Ohio? Suffer from lupus, insomnia, or being a Cincinnati Bengals or Cleveland Browns fan? You could soon qualify for a medical marijuana prescription, even for the latter "condition"—if the State Medical Board of Ohio approves its inclusion on the "eligible" list,...
First Day of Legal Pot Sales in
This State Was a Big One
Jan 3, 2020 10:35 AM CST
First Day of Legal Pot Sales in This State Was a Big One
Nearly $3.2 million of cannabis was sold in Illinois on Wednesday
- It was freezing in many parts of Illinois on New Year's Day, but that didn't stop droves of people from standing in line for the state's first day of legal marijuana sales. And the day brought in a hefty haul: NBC Chicago reports that, per the state'...
NYC Mayor Slams 'Infuriating'
Claim on Murdered Student
Dec 16, 2019 8:43 AM CST
NYC Mayor Slams 'Infuriating' Claim on Murdered Student
Bill de Blasio says NYPD union chief shouldn't be 'shaming' Tessa Majors with marijuana claim
- A 13-year-old suspect is in custody related to the murder of Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors , with police still seeking other suspects, but her killing has become what the
New York Daily News
calls a "political football," drawing in New York City's mayor, the head of the...
Neil Young Answered
Honestly. Now, a
Nov 11, 2019 12:20 PM CST
Neil Young Answered Honestly. Now, a Delayed Citizenship
Canadian singer admitted to using marijuana
- Neil Young answered a question on his US citizenship application honestly, and it's costing him. The singer admitted that, yes, he has used marijuana, and as a result the application process has been delayed, the
reports. Young, who's Canadian but is well known as, per the newspaper,...
Pot. So He Called
the Cops on Them
Sep 6, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Cops Allegedly Confiscated His Pot. So He Called the Cops on Them
He was quite irate (and wrong) during his conversation with an Ohio police sergeant
- A man confused about Ohio drug laws called a police department demanding that officers return the small amount of marijuana they "stole" from him, per the AP . WXIX reports the man told a Sharonville police dispatcher in an expletive-laced call Tuesday that it's legal to possess 100 grams...
Researchers Examine Pot Use
in Pregnancy, Get Pushback
Aug 8, 2019 6:53 AM CDT
Researchers Examine Pot Use in Pregnancy, Get Pushback
Controversial study examines whether marijuana can help with morning sickness
- There's no proof that cannabis can relieve morning sickness, and mainstream medicine advises against use in pregnancy due to studies suggesting it might cause premature birth, low birthweight, and infant brain deficits. But the National Institute on Drug Abuse is pressing for more solid evidence. With nearly $200,000...
In 11th State to Legalize
Pot, a Bonus for 770K
Jun 28, 2019 10:09 AM CDT
In 11th State to Legalize Pot, a Bonus for 770K
It's not only OK to smoke marijuana recreationally in Illinois—pot convictions will also be expunged
- On Tuesday, Illinois became the 11th state to legalize recreational marijuana for those 21 and over, and the bill makes another big move within its 610 pages. CNN reports that, thanks to HB 1438, about 770,000 state residents with convictions involving pot will be able to have their records...
Pot Smokers at NYC Concert
Ignite Wrath of Who's Daltrey
May 15, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Pot Smokers at NYC Concert Ignite Wrath of Who's Daltrey
Roger Daltrey's message to attendees at Madison Square Garden on Monday: 'F--- you!'
- The kids were not all right at The Who's Monday night concert in New York City. At least not according to singer Roger Daltrey, who ripped into fans at Madison Square Garden who decided to toke up while the band was performing, Page Six reports. In what some treated...
He Was Crushed
by a Bulldozer
Over 10 Pot Plants
Mar 20, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
He Was Crushed by a Bulldozer Over 10 Pot Plants
Lawsuit now targets Pennsylvania authorities over 2018 death of Gregory Longenecker
- The family of a Pennsylvania man killed after he fled a clearing where he was growing 10 pot plants fault state authorities for chasing him with equipment similar to "a military tank." Though his friend was arrested at the game preserve in Berks County on July 9, 2018,...
A Pot Etiquette
Mar 18, 2019 11:14 AM CDT
A Pot Etiquette Guide, From a Somewhat Surprising Source
Primer from Lizzie Post, great-great-granddaughter of Emily Post, could be very helpful to a newbie
- New to pot smoking? Concerned you'll embarrass yourself? Who better to turn to for advice than a trusted co-president of the Emily Post Institute —Post's own great-great-grandaughter, in fact. Yes, Lizzie Post has published a book on the subject of cannabis etiquette, appropriately titled
Harris' Dad: Ancestors 'Must
Be Turning in Their Grave'
Feb 21, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Harris' Dad: Ancestors 'Must Be Turning in Their Grave'
He accuses her of perpetuating Jamaican stereotype
- "Half my family's from Jamaica, are you kidding me?" Kamala Harris joked in an interview earlier this month while admitting she'd previously smoked pot and "inhaled." The 2020 Democratic candidate is now getting a tongue-lashing from an angry Jamaican: her own father. "Myself and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
FBI: Laundrie Took Responsibility in His Notebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.