Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Struggling to Keep
Feb 21, 2021 11:20 AM CST
Tennessee's Also Struggling to Keep Water On
Memphis distributes thousands of bottles while crews work
- Crews in Tennessee raced Sunday to fix water mains that failed in freezing temperatures, as the region worked to recover from winter weather that paralyzed parts of the nation. Ten inches of snow fell in Memphis last week, followed by a sustained cold snap. With the forecast calling for temperatures...
Line That Carries Water
to Half of Houston Breaks
Feb 27, 2020 7:00 PM CST
Line That Carries Water to Half of Houston Breaks
- A water main break from a plant that supplies about half of Houston left drivers stranded on a flooded freeway and forced businesses and schools to close because they had no water or low water pressure on Thursday. "This was a major, a major break," Mayor Sylvester Turner...
Conn. City Lost 8K Gallons
of Water Per Minute
Aug 14, 2014 11:18 AM CDT
Conn. City Lost 8K Gallons of Water Per Minute
New London could have lost 10M gallons in just one day
- A broken water main in New London, Conn., caused the city to lose more water than it uses in a day—about 8,000 gallons a minute, at least when it first started this morning, the
reports. A state of emergency was declared and residents were told to...
Huge Water Main
Break Floods UCLA
Jul 30, 2014 12:58 AM CDT
Huge Water Main Break Floods UCLA
Home of UCLA basketball suffers major water damage
- Swamped in the middle of a drought: A massive water main break under Sunset Boulevard flooded parts of the UCLA campus yesterday, causing serious damage to buildings, including the school's famous Pauley Pavilion basketball arena. Millions of gallons of water flooded athletic facilities after the 93-year-old pipe broke, sending...
US Will Need $1T
to Fix Water Pipes
Feb 29, 2012 5:03 PM CST
US Will Need $1T to Fix Water Pipes
Industry estimate sees steep costs over next 25 years
- The US could be facing a $1 trillion plumbing bill. That's how much it will cost over the next 25 years to mend or replace the disintegrating pipes that carry drinking water throughout cities and build new ones to accommodate a rising population, according to an industry study. And...
Boston Area Gets
Clean Water Back
May 4, 2010 11:12 AM CDT
Boston Area Gets Clean Water Back
2+ days after water main break, state lifts order to boil tap water
- After almost 3 days without a safe water supply, 2 million residents of eastern Massachusetts once again have clean tap water, the
reports. After a huge water main ruptured Saturday, the state imposed a boil water order for Boston and 29 other communities. Stores quickly sold out of...
2 Million Parched
May 2, 2010 2:00 PM CDT
Water Main Break Leaves 2 Million Parched
Massachusetts governor declares state of emergency
- Tap water in most of eastern Massachusetts is unsafe to drink following a water main break yesterday in a suburb west of Boston. Some 2 million residents must boil water for at least 1 minute before drinking it, making baby formula, or brushing their teeth, a situation one official described...
Sinkhole Eats LA Fire Truck
Sep 8, 2009 7:23 PM CDT
Sinkhole Eats LA Fire Truck
42,000-pound vehicle was responding to early-morning broken pipe
- A broken water pipe in a Los Angeles neighborhood today created a sinkhole that swallowed one of the city’s fire trucks, KTLA-TV reports. The crew, responding to the break just after 5am, felt the street buckle beneath the 42,000-pound truck; it gave way before they could back out....
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
For US Savings Accounts, Another Shift Is Unfolding
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
Police: Parade Shooting Was Planned Weeks in Advance
Couple Gets $1.5K Ticket for Using Their Own Driveway
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.