Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heavy Drinkers Have Greater
Tolerance, Right? Not So Much
Jun 25, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Heavy Drinkers Have Greater Tolerance, Right? Not So Much
Study suggests it's largely a myth
- It's a common dramatic trope: Steely-eyed people squaring off in a boozy drinking duel, usually ending with someone passing out on the floor while their opponent seems relatively clear-eyed in victory. Research done by the University of Chicago found that the heavy drinker with high tolerance, however, is mostly...
Studies Touting Alcohol as
Good for Health Were Flawed
Apr 5, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Studies Touting Alcohol as Good for Health Were Flawed
Analysis finds no benefit to health, but an increased risk of death
- The Canadian Center on Substance Use and Addiction was on to something when it claimed no amount of alcohol consumption is healthy, according to a new analysis of 107 studies of 4.8 million adults published between 1980 and 2021, which debunks the idea that moderate drinking provides benefits for...
May Be 'a Bit
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2023 3:25 PM CST
Canada's New Booze Guidelines May Be 'a Bit Shocking'
New recommendation for beer-swilling Canadians: no more than 2 drinks per week
- In Canada, the legal drinking age is between 18 and 19, depending on location. But new guidelines from the nation's Canadian Center on Substance Use and Addiction not only discourage young people from throwing one too many back—the center is now warning everyone away from more than two...
Bike Culture May Have
Jan 10, 2023 12:14 PM CST
Bike Culture May Have a Problem—Alcohol
In 'Bicycling,' Gloria Liu suggests the cycling world drinks too much
- A few years ago, Gloria Liu wrote a story in
magazine about how great the "post-ride beer" is in the parking lot, especially with a group of riding friends. Now comes a story in the same magazine with a different bent and a headline asking, "Does Cycling...
She Was a Heavy Drinker.
Then She Ingested Psilocybin
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
She Was a Heavy Drinker. Then She Ingested Psilocybin
Small study suggests the 'magic mushrooms' psychedelic may help heavy drinkers quit
- The compound in psychedelic mushrooms helped heavy drinkers cut back or quit entirely in the most rigorous test of psilocybin for alcoholism. More research is needed to see if the effect lasts and whether it works in a larger study. The AP notes many who took a dummy drug instead...
Japan Wants Young People
to Drink More Booze
Aug 18, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Japan Wants Young People to Drink More Booze
Tax agency is worried about falling revenue
- Japan's national tax agency is trying to tackle a decline in revenue by persuading young people to change their sober ways. Younger people in Japan aren't drinking as much as previous generations did, and so the tax agency has launched a competition to find ways to boost alcohol...
Who Drink Solo,
Take Heed of This Study
Jul 13, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Young People Who Drink Solo, Take Heed of This Study
Study finds young solitary drinkers at increased risk for alcoholism in mid-30s
- The manner in which you drink alcohol as a young person might be more important than how much you drink in determining future alcoholism risk, according to new research that warns against drinking alone in early life, especially if you're a young female. Researchers analyzed data from 4,500...
It's Time Someone Said It:
Hard Seltzer Just Isn't Good
Jul 13, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
It's Time Someone Said It: Hard Seltzer Just Isn't Good
Amanda Mull charts America's slowly waning obsession with the beverage
- America fell in love with hard seltzer in the summer of 2019. It appears our feelings might have slightly cooled. In a piece for the
, Amanda Mull charts hard seltzer's heyday (more than 150 brands on the market by mid-2021!) and where sales are now (certainly not...
The Research Doesn't
Back Up Your Hangover Cure
Jan 3, 2022 10:55 AM CST
The Research Doesn't Back Up Your Hangover Cure
But that's partly because the studies to date are so mediocre, researchers found
- Tomato juice, kombucha, greasy eggs and ketchup: Whatever method you swears cures your hangover, well, there's not much science to back you up. So found a review of 21 placebo-controlled randomized clinical trials that examined various hangover "cures." The upshot: The research that's been done so...
Teens Ended Up
at Parties Mom
Oct 13, 2021 11:52 AM CDT
Teens Ended Up Vomit-Covered at Parties Mom Allegedly Threw
Shannon O'Connor allegedly supplied booze to kids who were just 14, 15
- The parties don't sound particularly COVID-friendly, and that's the least of the issues with them. Authorities say a 47-year-old woman threw the Los Gatos, Calif., bashes from June 2020 until May 2021 and supplied guests with vodka, Fireball whiskey, and condoms—and that those guests were largely just...
Jun 6, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
You Probably Should Stop Drinking Alone
Kate Julian does a deep dive into the pros and cons of American drinking in the 'Atlantic'
- To get a big-picture perspective on the pros and cons of drinking, settle in with Kate Julian's piece in the
, headlined, "America Has a Drinking Problem." And we mean
picture: The story goes back to the earliest days of civilization, diving into humans' unique ability...
The Greediest, Angriest, Most
Jealous States in America
Feb 15, 2021 10:15 AM CST
The Greediest, Angriest, Most Jealous States in America
WalletHub takes note of our sins and ranks us
- The first day of Lent is Wednesday, and for Christians who follow the observance, it's often a time to give up a bad habit for the six weeks that follow. That may be harder for people in some parts of the country, per WalletHub , which has ranked US states...
Opening More Bottles Than
Usual? You're Not Alone
Oct 6, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Opening More Bottles Than Usual? You're Not Alone
Study finds Americans 30 and older are drinking booze 14% more during pandemic than last year
- If you've been throwing back more vino than you used to, join the stuck-at-home crowd. A new study conducted by the Rand Corporation has found that Americans are drinking alcohol 14% more often during the pandemic than they used to, with NPR citing everything from Zoom happy hours to...
In Japan, People Do a Weird
Thing After a Night of Drinking
Aug 19, 2020 11:41 AM CDT
In Japan, People Do a Weird Thing After a Night of Drinking
Officials worry 'road sleeping' is going to lead to more people getting hurt in Okinawa
- There's a strange phenomenon that has overtaken the Okinawa prefecture in Japan, and police can't figure out a way to stop it. "Road sleeping," or
in Japanese, seems to be what people like to do there after a night of drinking, and it means that...
My Divorce 'the
of My Life'
Feb 19, 2020 6:21 AM CST
Ben Affleck: My Divorce 'the Biggest Regret of My Life'
Says playing an alcoholic in new movie was 'very therapeutic'
- The second of four movies due out this year starring Ben Affleck has him playing an alcoholic who goes to rehab after ruining his marriage . If that sounds a little close to home for the actor, well, that's kind of the point. "Regarding
The Way Back
, the benefits,...
Americans Are Drinking
More, and Here's Why
Jan 14, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Americans Are Drinking More, and Here's Why
Seems there's a cultural change, and no 'policy response to match it'
- Americans are drinking more now than when Prohibition was enacted. What's more, it's been rising for two decades, and it's not clear when it will fall again. That’s the picture painted by federal health statistics, which show a rise in per-person consumption and increases in emergency...
In 'Rare Move,' 3 Elite
Navy SEALs Are Fired
Sep 7, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
In 'Rare Move,' 3 Elite Navy SEALs Are Fired
'Due to a loss of confidence that resulted from leadership failures'
- In July, a Navy SEAL team was sent home early from Iraq amid allegations of sexual assault and unauthorized drinking. Shortly after that, Rear Adm. Collin Green warned , "We have a problem" in regard to the culture underlying not only SEAL Team 7, but throughout the entire special-operations force....
Servers Who Fake-Smile
Can't Hold Back After Work
Apr 10, 2019 6:43 PM CDT
Servers Who Fake-Smile Can't Hold Back After Work
It's especially hard for those with an impulsive personality
- Those fake smiles and "thank yous" can really add up—especially if you're a spontaneous person. A new study finds that customer-service workers who force happy behavior on the job are more likely to over-drink after work, the
reports. Researchers at the University of Buffalo and...
He Allegedly Killed
a Fellow Cop. Now,
a New Accusation
Feb 1, 2019 12:40 PM CST
He Allegedly Killed a Fellow Cop. Now, a New Accusation
Nathaniel Hendren was reportedly drinking while on duty, per disciplinary document
- Authorities in St. Louis are still trying to get to the bottom of how off-duty police officer Katlyn Alix was shot and killed last week while at the apartment of an on-duty colleague, and now the latter is facing allegations that he, along with his partner who was also on...
Coroner Rules on What
Killed Cranberries Singer
Sep 6, 2018 7:49 AM CDT
Coroner Rules on What Killed Cranberries Singer
Dolores O'Riordan died in an accidental drowning after a night of heavy drinking
- The sudden death of Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan in January stunned the world, and a new development may prompt further shock waves. An inquest in the UK took place Thursday on what would have been the performer's 47th birthday, and the court heard that O'Riordan died of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.