Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
April 11 Will Be a Big Day
for Transgender Americans
Mar 31, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
April 11 Will Be a Big Day for Transgender Americans
State Department sets date for widespread introduction of gender-neutral passports
- In what State Department special envoy for LGBTQ rights Jessica Stern calls a "momentous step," Americans will be able to select "X" as their gender on passport applications starting April 11. Stern says adding the gender-neutral option moves the US toward "ensuring that our administrative systems...
Children's Hospital Sorry for
'Harmful' Intersex Surgeries
Jul 30, 2020 7:28 AM CDT
Children's Hospital Sorry for 'Harmful' Intersex Surgeries
It says cosmetic procedures should wait until a person is able to consent
- A children's hospital in Chicago has apologized for its "harmful and wrong" approach to genital surgery on infants born "intersex," with genitals that don't correspond to the usual definitions of male or female. The Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital, which was responding...
Looks Like Revolutionary
War Hero Wasn't Male
Apr 7, 2019 1:25 PM CDT
Looks Like Revolutionary War Hero Wasn't Male
Casimiar Pulaski may have been female or intersex, researchers say
- A Revolutionary War hero dubbed the "father of the American cavalry" may well have been female or even intersex, if new research holds up. Experts analyzing the DNA and bones of Casimiar Pulaski—a Polish-American soldier who was fatally wounded in the 1779 Siege of Savannah—say the skeleton...
Parents and Doctors, Hold Off
on This 'Devastating' Surgery
Aug 9, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
Parents and Doctors, Hold Off on This 'Devastating' Surgery
Don't operate on intersex kids until they're the age of consent and can fully participate
- When Kimberly Mascott Zieselman was 15, she had surgery she now says caused "irreversible harm" due to others' "discomfort with difference." In her op-ed for
, Zieselman explains how, as a young teen, she didn't get her period like other girls, and when her parents...
Child Who Had
Upon Him Will
Jul 27, 2017 5:40 PM CDT
Child Who Had Gender Forced Upon Him Will Get $440K
Settlement in 'landmark' lawsuit reached
- A child who as an infant underwent surgery aimed at assigning his gender as female but who now identifies as male will get a hefty payout in what BuzzFeed calls a "landmark" settlement. Under the deal , the Medical University of South Carolina and the state's social services department...
Model's Intersex Reveal:
I Was Born With Testes
Jan 23, 2017 10:33 AM CST
Model's Intersex Reveal: I Was Born With Testes
'USA Today' calls Hanne Gaby Odiele one of the first big names to go public
- She's used to putting herself on display, but Belgian model Hanne Gaby Odiele exposed herself in a different way on Monday. The 29-year-old sat with
and revealed something that "should be perfectly all right to talk about ... in this day and age": Odiele is intersex, having...
Parents Sue After Doctors
Decide Their Child Is a Girl
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 18, 2015 3:09 PM CDT
Parents Sue After Doctors Decide Their Child Is a Girl
Pam and Mark Crawford say intersex surgeries raise important issue of consent
- Pam and Mark Crawford of Greenville, SC, adopted MC when he was just 20 months old and then considered female. Born with "true hermaphroditism" or both male and female anatomy—including a penis, vagina, testicle, and ovarian tissue—doctors had performed surgery to remove MC's male anatomy two...
Birth to Twins
Feb 10, 2015 8:08 AM CST
'Mostly Male' Woman Gives Birth to Twins
32-year-old looks female but has more than 95% male chromosomes
- When a 32-year-old sought fertility treatment in India, she learned that while her appearance is female, her chromosomes are 95% male; the intersex condition is known as "XY gonadal dysgenesis," reports the
. Thanks to extensive hormone treatments, she has just given birth to healthy twins—a...
Prenatal Pill May
Aug 16, 2010 7:51 AM CDT
Prenatal Pill May Reduce Lesbianism
Ambiguous genitalia treatment raises alarms
- A prenatal pill designed to prevent ambiguous genitalia in newborns may end up reducing lesbianism, triggering complaints from critics that the treatment is nothing more than medical engineering to manipulate sexual orientation. A few dozen pregnancies each year in the US result in babies with congenital adrenal hyperplasia, which causes...
Wins in Return
Jul 15, 2010 10:54 PM CDT
Caster Semenya Wins in Return to Track
South African teen missed 11 months while undergoing gender testing
- Caster Semenya won the 800m at a minor meet tonight in Finland, her first competition since the IAAF cleared the South African teen to compete as a woman . Looking happy and relaxed, she comfortably dealt with a larger-than-usual crowd and massive media contingent, the
reports . "I felt more...
Pollution Turns Male Fish
Into Mutant Mommies
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 25, 2010 9:51 AM CDT
Pollution Turns Male Fish Into Mutant Mommies
Potomac river full of intersexed fish
The Potomac river has become so polluted that most of its male fish have mutated and developed female traits—like carrying eggs in their testes. More than 80% of the river's male bass have some female characteristic, the Potomac Conservancy tells the
blaming drugs and other chemicals that...
South Africa: Ax
Lying Semenya Official
Sep 20, 2009 7:02 AM CDT
South Africa: Ax Lying Semenya Official
His coverup hurt runner, says sports minister
- South African government officials are calling for the firing of an athletic director who admitted lying about gender tests before Caster Semenya entered her controversial World Championship race last month. "His lies were to Ms. Semenya's detriment," said a statement from the nation's sports minister, reports the BBC....
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
A Decade-Long Uber Strategy Comes to an End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.