Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Who Killed Her Rapist
in Custody After Her Escape
Nov 9, 2022 1:15 PM CST
Teen Who Killed Her Rapist in Custody After Her Escape
Pieper Lewis, who fled from a Des Moines women's center, didn't go far
- Pieper Lewis is back in custody. The 18-year-old Iowa sex trafficking victim who on Friday fled a Des Moines women's center where she was serving five years of probation for the killing of her alleged rapist was found in Des Moines and booked into Polk County Jail on Tuesday....
Serial 'Jogger Rapist'
Will Be a Free Man
Oct 9, 2022 6:48 AM CDT
Serial 'Jogger Rapist' Will Be a Free Man
Richard Gillmore of Oregon admitted 9 assaults, was convicted in only one
- An Oregon serial rapist is set to be released from prison in mid-December after serving nearly 36 years behind bars, almost all of his maximum sentence. Richard Gillmore, arrested in 1986 and called the “jogger rapist” because he staked out victims as he ran by their homes, admitted to...
Cops Thought He Drowned,
Then Heard the Horrible Claims
Jun 16, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
Cops Thought He Drowned, Then Heard the Horrible Claims
Scot Kim Avis gets 15 years for rape, failure to appear after faked death in California
- Numerous people have drowned at Monastery Beach in Carmel-by-the-Sea, Calif., earning it the nickname "Mortuary Beach." Kim Avis is not one of them . The Scottish street vendor reported missing at the notoriously dangerous site in 2019 in fact faked his own death while facing dozens of accusations of...
Cops: When Hit Men Came, She
Lied, Took Bullet for Daughter
in case you missed it
Feb 6, 2021 2:35 PM CST
Cops: When Hit Men Came, She Lied, Took Bullet for Daughter
Police say Louisiana woman murdered in error after brother hired men to kill niece he allegedly raped
- A Louisiana man accused of raping his niece is now suspected of hiring two hit men to kill her before she could testify against him—except instead of killing his niece, the two hit men mistakenly killed the suspect's own sister and another woman, police say. Per KLFY , the...
After 47 Years, Marshals on
Trail of Escaped Child Killer
Oct 21, 2020 8:08 AM CDT
After 47 Years, Marshals on Trail of Escaped Child Killer
Lester Eubanks has been on the run since 1973
- Federal authorities believe they're closing in on a convicted child killer who's been on the run for 47 years. Lester Eubanks—whose story features in an episode of Netflix's
—was convicted in May 1966 of the rape and murder of 14-year-old Mary Ellen Deener...
Woman Sentenced to 20 Years
for Killing Her Alleged Rapist
Oct 12, 2020 4:09 AM CDT
Woman Sentenced to 20 Years for Killing Her Alleged Rapist
Brittany Smith should be released to house arrest in 7 months in controversial case
- Brittany Smith says that an acquaintance raped and strangled her in 2018—and that she killed him hours later, as he held her brother in a headlock and threatened to kill both of them after her brother came over to confront him. The 32-year-old Alabama mother of four on Friday...
How 29-Year-Old's Arrest Led
to Alleged 'Pillowcase Rapist'
Jan 24, 2020 9:05 AM CST
How 29-Year-Old's Arrest Led to Alleged 'Pillowcase Rapist'
Authorities believe Robert Eugene Koehler was building a 'dungeon' under his Florida home
- More details are trickling out on a Florida man police believe raped more than 40 women in the Miami area over a five-year stretch in the '80s. In a Thursday presser, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said the DNA of registered sex offender Robert Eugene Koehler has been...
He Allegedly Raped
44 Women in 5 Years
Jan 21, 2020 10:45 AM CST
He Allegedly Raped 44 Women in 5 Years
Suspected 'Pillowcase Rapist' nabbed in Florida
- Police in Florida believe they've found the notorious "Pillowcase Rapist" who attacked more than 40 women at knifepoint over five years in the 1980s. Robert Eugene Koehler, a registered sex offender and mechanic from Palm Bay, was arrested Saturday after a DNA hit, reports the
Jan 6, 2020 10:20 AM CST
'Britain's Most Prolific Rapist' Is Sentenced
Reynhard Sinaga gets life sentence; authorities says he may have had 200 victims
- A mild-mannered student who prosecutors say led a double life as "Britain's most prolific rapist" has just earned another life sentence. Reynhard Sinaga, 36, has so far been convicted of 136 rapes of men in multiple trials, reports the
. Based on evidence from Sinaga's phone, however,...
Cops: Serial Rapists Who Struck
in 1990s Found With Genealogy
Nov 20, 2019 10:50 AM CST
Cops: Serial Rapists Who Struck in 1990s Found With Genealogy
Including the so-called 'Potomac River Rapist'
- Police say two serial rapists have been caught—one in California and one in South Carolina—thanks to genetic genealogy. Giles Daniel Warrick, accused of sexually assaulting 10 women and killing one in Washington, DC, and Maryland in the 1990s, was arrested last week in Conway, SC, after authorities connected...
to Judge's $150K
Nov 8, 2019 1:08 PM CST
Rape Victim to Judge's $150K Restitution Idea: Uh, No
Bruce Bennett offered to reduce 12-year sentence for Sedrick Hills if he financially compensated victim
- A rape victim's response to what a Louisiana judge likely thought was a generous offer: No thanks. The AP reports District Court Judge Bruce Bennett made the surprising overture Thursday right after he'd sentenced 44-year-old Sedrick Hills to 12 years behind bars for raping the woman, now 31,...
Oct 29, 2019 8:02 AM CDT
Georgia Accidentally Sets Free Child Rapist
Now scrambling to find inmate after public wasn't notified for days
- Authorities in Georgia are on the hunt for a rapist who was serving a life sentence when he was mistakenly released from prison on Friday. Tony Maycon Munoz-Mendez, 31, jailed since 2015 on convictions of rape and aggravated child molestation in Gwinnett County, was released from Reidsville's Rogers State...
A Decades-Long Serial Killer
Case Ends With Confession
Oct 2, 2019 8:49 AM CDT
A Decades-Long Serial Killer Case Ends With Confession
S. Korea's Lee Chun-jae admitted to 14 murders, but statute of limitations has run out
- Police had only been able to link him to a handful of rapes and murders in South Korea—but a suspected serial killer has just confessed to many more. The
New York Times
reports that 56-year-old Lee Chun-jae, already in prison for life for raping and killing his sister-in-law, has...
Trial Begins for
Former NFL Star
Accused of Being
May 21, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
Trial Begins for Former NFL Star Accused of Being Serial Rapist
Kellen Winslow Jr. faces life in prison if convicted
- From 2004 to 2013, Kellen Winslow Jr. was an NFL star, raking in $40 million over the course of his career—during which, at one point, he was the highest-paid tight end in the league. Now, the 35-year-old is on trial, accused of being a serial rapist . His father, San...
Woman: X-Ray Tech
Leaked My Info to Rapist,
He Attacked Me Again
May 14, 2019 7:05 PM CDT
Woman: X-Ray Tech Leaked My Info to Rapist, He Attacked Me Again
She says hospital worker alerted rapist to allegations
- A Kansas woman was raped on May 26, 2017, and had a rape kit administered at Atchison Hospital. She told hospital staff her alleged attacker's name—and, she claims, former X-ray technician Janet Rawson Enzbrenner turned around and notified the man that she was accusing him of rape. The...
Jailed Rapist Told He Could
Seek Visits With Victim's Son
Nov 28, 2018 10:25 AM CST
Jailed Rapist Told He Could Seek Visits With Victim's Son
The teen's mother is outraged
- An eye-popping story out of Northern England, where the
Times of London
reports a convicted rapist was contacted by the Rotherham Council while incarcerated and invited to seek out visits with the son he fathered through rape. The child's mother was 15 when she became pregnant by Arshid Hussain,...
Serial Rape Suspect
Arrested After 27 Years
Sep 22, 2018 8:10 AM CDT
Serial Rape Suspect Arrested After 27 Years
California authorities say they have the 'NorCal Rapist' in custody, thanks to DNA
- It's taken nearly three decades, but California authorities think they've finally nabbed the "NorCal Rapist." At a Friday presser, Sacramento Police Chief Daniel Hahn and Sacramento County DA Anne Marie Schubert said Roy Charles Waller, 58, was arrested Thursday as he showed up to work at...
Cops Say They've Caught
the 'Rideshare Rapist'
Jul 16, 2018 8:51 AM CDT
Cops Say They've Caught the 'Rideshare Rapist'
Orlando Vilchez Lazo allegedly posed as driver for ride-sharing company, picked up victims
- Police in San Francisco say they've caught a man they'd been hunting as the "Rideshare Rapist." Orlando Vilchez Lazo, 37, has been charged with four separate assaults going back to 2013, and police suspect more victims are out there, reports the
. Authorities say Lazo...
10 Years Later, Rape Victims
in One State Gain a Victory
Feb 8, 2018 12:11 AM CST
10 Years Later, Rape Victims in One State Gain a Victory
Women impregnated by their rapists can cut off parental rights
- More than 10 years after supporters began pushing for it, Maryland's legislature has decided—with unanimous votes in the state Senate and House—to enable impregnated rape victims to ask judges to end the parental rights of their rapists. Supporters say it has become embarrassing that a state known...
Locked Back Up
Over 'Distorted Thinking'
Jan 14, 2017 9:50 AM CST
'Pillowcase Rapist' Locked Back Up Over 'Distorted Thinking'
Christopher Hubbart had been released in 2014
- A notorious California serial rapist who muffled victims' screams with a pillowcase had his freedom revoked after his therapists said they were concerned about his fantasies and didn't think he had come to terms with his "distorted thinking," the AP reports. Christopher Hubbart, who was dubbed the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Former Child Actor Lance Kerwin Dead at 62
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.