Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
French Official's 'Those People'
Remark Doesn't Land Well
Jul 17, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
French Official's 'Those People' Remark Doesn't Land Well
LGBTQ community and supporters say Caroline Cayeux should not be in government
- Pressure is mounting on a French government minister to quit over comments stigmatizing homosexuality and LGBTQ people, in the latest challenge to President Emmanuel Macron’s leadership. The remarks by Caroline Cayeux have hurt and angered many—including her colleagues—and prompted broader discussion around persistent discriminatory attitudes by people...
A Kiss Gets Pixar
Movie Banned Overseas
Jun 13, 2022 8:28 AM CDT
A Kiss Gets Pixar Movie Banned Overseas
UAE does not look kindly on lesbian show of affection
- The United Arab Emirates on Monday banned the upcoming Pixar animated feature
from showing in movie theaters after its inclusion of a kiss between two lesbian characters, per the AP . The decision by the UAE comes as Malaysia also reportedly will ban the film, raising the possibility other Muslim-majority...
FBI: Man Blamed
His Homophobia for
Attack on Flight Attendant
Apr 27, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
FBI: Man Blamed His Homophobia for Attack on Flight Attendant
He allegedly assaulted attendant in first class on Delta flight
- A Delta Air Lines passenger accused of attacking a flight attendant in first class gave FBI investigators an "excuse" that isn't going to help his case. According to a criminal complaint, Christopher Alexander Morgan told investigators that "he is homophobic and that it is possible he could...
Parents, Son Charged in
Attack That Blinded Gay Man
Apr 13, 2022 3:14 PM CDT
Parents, Son Charged in Attack That Blinded Gay Man
All 3 are facing hate crime charges in Florida
- Three family members in Florida—and possibly a fourth—are facing potential life sentences over an attack that left a gay man permanently blind. Broward County prosecutors say parents Inna Makarenko, 44, and Yevhen Makarenko, 43, are facing hate crime charges over the Aug. 6, 2021, attack, as is son...
Gruden's Target: His Comment
'Makes Your Head Explode'
Oct 13, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Gruden's Target: His Comment 'Makes Your Head Explode'
DeMaurice Smith says coach's resignation presents an 'opportunity'
- As an investigation of the Washington Football Team wrapped up over the summer—with a $10 million fine for workplace abuse —another was just beginning. During that initial probe, prompted by sexual harassment complaints, the NFL had received 650,000 emails from the work account of former Washington executive...
Him on Gay Slur
Aug 2, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Matt Damon's Daughter Schooled Him on Gay Slur 'Months Ago'
50-year-old Harvard alum just recently realized he shouldn't use the word after an ill-received 'joke'
- Matt Damon is making the promotional rounds for his new film,
, but an anecdote he relayed in a recent interview is making its own headlines. Talking with the
, the 50-year-old Harvard alum touched on the state of the movie industry before moving onto the topics of the...
Speech Gets Him
Booted From Lollapalooza
Aug 2, 2021 1:04 AM CDT
DaBaby's Homophobic Speech Gets Him Booted From Lollapalooza
Rapper made the remarks at a Miami-area music festival
- Rapper DaBaby was cut Sunday from Lollapalooza's closing lineup following crude and homophobic remarks he made last week at a Miami-area music festival, the AP reports. The Grammy-nominated artist, whose name is Jonathan Kirk, had been scheduled as a closing act on the final night of the four-day music...
Help Hate Crime
Jul 15, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Bar's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Could Help Hate Crime Law Pass
Wyoming bar's shirt called for shooting homosexuals
- With the sale of a violent, homophobic T-shirt, a biker bar in Cheyenne may have inadvertently moved the state closer to bringing in hate crime legislation. The Wyoming Equality group shared a photo of the shirt—which shows an armed man, with the words "In Wyoming, we have a...
Old Controversy Reemerges
Mar 9, 2021 8:34 AM CST
Old Controversy Reemerges for New
Alexi McCammond is once again apologizing for racist, homophobic tweets posted in 2011
has a new top editor, but just days into the job, Alexi McCammond finds herself at the center of controversy. CNN Business reports that 20 or so members of the magazine have sent a letter to management about McCammond, a former Axios reporter whose face had become a...
Reds Suspend Broadcaster
for 'Horrific' Anti-Gay Slur
Aug 20, 2020 6:14 AM CDT
Reds Suspend Broadcaster for 'Horrific' Anti-Gay Slur
'I don’t know if I’m going to be putting on this headset again,' Thom Brennaman says
- Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman has been suspended from working Cincinnati's games after using an anti-gay slur on air Wednesday night, prompting the team to apologize for the "horrific, homophobic remark." Brennaman used the slur moments after the Fox Sports Ohio feed returned from a commercial break before...
Trump Says He Could
Support a Gay President
Feb 14, 2020 7:04 AM CST
Trump Says He Could Support a Gay President
'I think there would be some that wouldn't'
- President Trump isn't above mocking Pete Buttigieg's name or appearance—but he doesn't have a problem with his sexuality. In an interview with Geraldo Rivera Thursday, Trump said he could support a gay president, though some Americans might not. "I think so," Trump told the...
Prof With 'Stunningly Ignorant'
Views Gets to Keep Job
Nov 22, 2019 7:18 AM CST
Prof With 'Stunningly Ignorant' Views Gets to Keep Job
First Amendment protects Eric Rasmusen, says Indiana University
- The dean of the business school Eric Rasmusen teaches at calls his views "reprehensible"; Indiana University Provost Lauren Robel says they're "stunningly ignorant." But despite posts on his private social media accounts Robel deems "racist, sexist, and homophobic," Rasmusen won't lose his job...
Oct 23, 2019 9:10 AM CDT
County Lawmaker Rants About 'Queer' Running for President
Apparent reference to Pete Buttigieg has earned Tennessee's Warren Hurst condemnation
- A commissioners' meeting in Sevier County, Tenn., went off the rails Monday during a discussion on a resolution to make the county a "Second Amendment sanctuary," per the
. While a couple of people showed up to push back on the resolution, things remained generally coolheaded—until...
US Soccer Star Calls Out
'Homophobic' Fellow Player
Jul 16, 2019 1:29 AM CDT
US Soccer Star Calls Out 'Homophobic' Fellow Player
'Your religion was never the problem,' Ashlyn Harris tells Jaelene Hinkle
- Jaelene Hinkle missed out on World Cup glory after dropping out of the US women's team—a decision the left back later admitted was because she didn't want to wear a jersey designed to honor the LGBT community. Goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris slammed Hinkle as homophobic and intolerant Monday...
Detective-Pastor: We Must
Arrest, Kill All Gay People
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 16, 2019 10:32 AM CDT
Detective-Pastor: We Must Arrest, Kill All Gay People
DA in Tennessee is now reviewing all pending cases involving Grayson Fritts
- The pastor of a small Baptist church in Tennessee delivered a sermon earlier this month that likely would have made headlines under any circumstances. Grayson Fritts told his congregation that police should arrest gay people ("freaks" and "animals") so they can be tried and executed, reports the...
Zuckerberg Has New
Problem on His Hands:
His Security Chief
May 31, 2019 10:32 AM CDT
Zuckerberg Has New Problem on His Hands: His Security Chief
Liam Booth accused of sexual misconduct, as well as racist, sexist, homophobic remarks
- Two former employees of the household staff of Mark Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, are lobbing some serious allegations against the power couple's security chief. First reported by Business Insider and confirmed by NBC News , Liam Booth, a former Secret Service agent, has been accused of making homophobic,...
WV Lawmaker Likens Gays
to the KKK, to Outrage
Feb 13, 2019 9:35 AM CST
WV Lawmaker Likens Gays to the KKK, to Outrage
Republican Delegate Eric Porterfield's remarks have been denounced by both sides
- Virginia isn't the only state where a lawmaker is being called upon to resign. There's a brouhaha within West Virginia's House of Delegates over anti-LGBT comments Republican Eric Porterfield has repeatedly made over the last week. CNN reports things started last Wednesday during a hearing about an...
A New Twist
in the Oscars
Jan 4, 2019 6:39 AM CST
A New Twist in the Oscars Hosting Drama?
Ellen DeGeneres told Kevin Hart the Academy wants him
- He got a gig "nobody was trying to score," and then he just as swiftly lost it . Now, nearly a month after Kevin Hart stepped down from hosting the Oscars after past homophobic tweets surfaced, the 39-year-old comedian may be reconsidering his decision.
reports Hart revealed this...
After Ultimatum, Kevin Hart
Is Out as Oscar Host
Dec 7, 2018 5:00 AM CST
After Ultimatum, Kevin Hart Is Out as Oscar Host
He apologizes for homophobic tweets
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences ended up looking for a new host for the 91st Academy Awards less than 36 hours after naming Kevin Hart for the slot. The comedian, who had faced a major backlash over homophobic tweets from 2011 and earlier, announced Thursday night that...
Mo. GOP Denounces 'Vile'
Remarks of Primary Winner
Aug 10, 2018 10:31 AM CDT
Mo. GOP Denounces 'Vile' Remarks of Primary Winner
Steve West, known for bigotry and conspiracy theories, won nomination for state House seat
- He calls himself Jack Justice, has a YouTube channel in which he puts on a wig and fake beard and spouts conspiracy theories, and said last year on a radio show: "Hitler was right about what was taking place in Germany. And who was behind it." Steve West...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
'Seemingly Impossible' DNA Task Earns Him a Nobel
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.