Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
King Tut's tomb
Researchers May Finally
Settle King Tut Tomb Mystery
Feb 2, 2018 10:18 AM CST
Researchers May Finally Settle King Tut Tomb Mystery
Third scan will look for a hidden chamber
- The theory that King Tut's tomb also holds the remains of his stepmother, the legendary Queen Nefertiti, has tantalized Egyptian archaeology for nearly three years. But after two scans with ground-penetrating radar proved inconclusive,
reports that third major scan is underway at the tomb in Luxor's...
Archaeologists Find Tomb
With Possible Ties to King Tut
Jul 19, 2017 10:14 AM CDT
Archaeologists Find Tomb With Possible Ties to King Tut
It could belong to his wife, Ankhesenamun
- The two daughters King Tut is believed to have had with wife Ankhesenamun were stillborn, their mummified fetuses found in Tut's tomb nearly a century ago, the
reported in 2008. But what of Ankhesenamun, who was also Tut's half sister? It's possible her grave has just...
Egypt Accused of
Hiding the Truth
About Tut's Tomb
May 13, 2016 6:07 AM CDT
Egypt Accused of Hiding the Truth About Tut's Tomb
Cairo 'in denial' over scan's failure to find hidden chambers, scientist says
- The curse of the pharaohs, or politics as usual? The controversy over supposed hidden chambers in King Tutankhamun's tomb has become even more complicated, with allegations that Egyptian officials are trying to suppress evidence that the chambers are not there after all . A radar scan last November by Japanese...
King Tut's Tomb Theory
Is Suddenly in Doubt
May 9, 2016 8:14 AM CDT
King Tut's Tomb Theory Is Suddenly in Doubt
British Egyptologist's claim wasn't exactly embraced on Sunday
- Last August, British Egyptologist Nicholas Reeves put forth a theory that grabbed headlines around the world: that King Tutankhamun's tomb is adjacent to secret chambers that hold Queen Nefertiti's remains. A March news conference seemed to lend credence to the claim, with then-Antiquities Minister Mamdouh El-Damaty announcing that...
We'll Soon Know
If Tut's Tomb
Mar 1, 2016 8:25 AM CST
We'll Soon Know If Tut's Tomb Holds Secrets
Press conference will follow April 2 radar examinations
- First came the theory, then a dribble of updates: In August 2015, University of Arizona archaeologist Nicholas Reeves made the case that Tutankhamun's tomb also holds the remains of Nefertiti . Egyptian authorities had no comment at the time, but three months later, a duo of stories seemed to lend...
Egypt Sends 8 to Trial
Over Botched King Tut Mask
Jan 24, 2016 9:31 AM CST
Egypt Sends 8 to Trial Over Botched King Tut Mask
Cairo less than impressed with workers it says knocked off beard, glued it back on
- Eight Egyptians involved in a botched repair of the famed burial mask of King Tut , which was corrected late last year, were referred to a disciplinary court Sunday for "gross negligence." The 3,300-year old mask, whose beard was accidentally knocked off and hastily glued on with epoxy...
King Tut's Wet Nurse
Was His Sister
Dec 20, 2015 1:14 PM CST
Archaeologist: King Tut's Wet Nurse Was His Sister
Public can now gawk at scenes showing Maya nursing the young pharaoh
- Some 300 miles south of Cairo sits the Valley of the Kings, the location where Tutankhamen was laid to rest. But just 13 miles south of Egypt's capital is the necropolis of Saqqara, where officials, courtiers, and, apparently, King Tut's wet nurse, Maia, were buried. Her tomb was...
Join Hunt for
Sep 29, 2015 12:54 PM CDT
Radar to Join Hunt for Nefertiti's Tomb
Egypt OKs technology to scan King Tut's tomb for signs of missing queen's
- The Egyptian Antiquities Ministry granted preliminary approval for non-invasive Japanese radar to verify a theory that Queen Nefertiti's crypt may be hidden behind King Tut's 3,300-year-old tomb. A security clearance for the radar's use will probably be obtained within a month, said ministry rep Mouchira Moussa,...
New York Met Will Return Items From King Tut's Tomb
Nov 10, 2010 5:09 PM CST
New York Met Will Return Items From King Tut's Tomb
Artifacts were shipped to New York in 1948
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art has agreed to return 19 items taken from the tomb of King Tut, the
New York Post
reports. The boy king's homeland of Egypt will get back a miniature bronze dog, a bracelet in the likeness of the sphinx, and various other figurines and bits...
King Tut's Penis
Has Gone AWOL
Jun 30, 2010 6:47 AM CDT
King Tut's Penis Has Gone AWOL
- It seems that King Tut and his penis have parted ways despite spending several thousand years joined at the, er, hip. When he was discovered in 1922 the king was fully intact,
reports. Sometime in the last almost 90 years, his kingly member was removed, some hypothesize, to maintain...
Tourism Curses King
Dec 7, 2009 8:16 AM CST
Tourism Curses King Tut's Tomb
Mysterious mold attacks boy pharaoh's burial chamber
- Mass tourism seems to have cursed King Tut's tomb with a problem as mysterious as the untimely deaths of many members of the 1922 expedition team that discovered the boy pharaoh: The 3,000-year-old tomb is rotting before visitors' eyes. Egypt has called in a team of "bookish versions...
Popular on Newser
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
Somebody Torched the Christmas Tree at Fox News HQ
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.