Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Those Who Catch Cheating
Cheated on Their Ethics Exams
Jun 28, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Those Who Catch Cheating Cheated on Their Ethics Exams
Ernst & Young has to pay a $100M fine to the SEC
- It's a scandal rich in irony. Auditors with the giant accounting firm Ernst & Young—the very people whose job it is to catch cheaters—themselves cheated on exams needed to keep their licenses, reports NPR . But the irony gets richer: The accountants cheated on the
Should the Public See What
Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
May 30, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
Should the Public See What Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
The Uvalde shooting has rekindled a long-running debate in the news media
- What do high-velocity rounds from an AR-15 do to a child's body, and should the public see it? Last week's mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, has rekindled a debate about whether publishing graphic images might prompt more urgent, meaningful action. As the
New York Times
reports, families and...
Jan 8, 2022 8:15 AM CST
NYC's New Mayor Makes Controversial Hirings
Eric Adams appoints brother to plum NYPD position, Phil Banks III as deputy mayor for public safety
- New York City's new mayor, Eric Adams, is getting right to work—and right to raising eyebrows, specifically with two new appointments. Getting the most buzz on Friday was the reveal by the
New York Post
that Adams has appointed his younger brother, Bernard Adams, to be a deputy...
Sorry for Possible
Oct 16, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Psaki Says Sorry for Possible Breach: 'Words Certainly Matter'
Ethics watchdog says press secretary shouldn't have promoted Va. gubernatorial contender McAuliffe
- President Biden's camp is going all in for support of Terry McAuliffe, the Democratic candidate for Virginia governor, but one member of that team is now getting dinged for not lying low. Reuters reports that the nonprofit watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has called for an...
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade
Yearbook Had Telling Signature
Jan 25, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade Yearbook Had Telling Signature
'Josh Hawley, president 2024'
- Josh Hawley has been roundly condemned by Democrats in the wake of the Capitol riot because of his prominent role in backing former President Trump's election challenge. On Monday, however, the Missouri senator fought back in two notable ways. He scored the cover of the right-leaning
New York Post
Google CEO's Apology
Doesn't Cut It: 'Gaslighting'
Dec 10, 2020 8:39 AM CST
Google CEO's Apology Doesn't Cut It: 'Gaslighting'
Dr. Timnit Gebru says she was forced from AI research position after email criticizing company
- One of Google's most prominent Black female employees is no longer with Google, and a firestorm has erupted over her departure. Google CEO Sundar Pichai has issued an apology of sorts, insinuating Dr. Timnit Gebru, the former co-leader of Google's AI team, resigned. But Gebru is pushing back,...
Sep 12, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Woodward Mounts His 'Deadly Stuff' Defense
The legendary reporter is asked why he didn't inform the public sooner
- A revelation in Bob Woodward's new book is coming back to haunt him—but he insists he had his reasons, the
, Woodward writes that President Trump called COVID-19 "deadly stuff" back in February but chose not to tell the public because he didn'...
Up Can of
Jul 15, 2020 12:13 PM CDT
Ivanka Holds Up Can of Beans, Sparks Controversy
Critics say first daughter violated ethics rules by showing support for Goya in online posts
- The Great Bean Brouhaha continues. Last week, Robert Unanue, the CEO of Goya Foods, prompted a boycott of his company after irked Latinos and other critics slammed his endorsement of President Trump, whom he called a "builder" that the US is "truly blessed" to have as its leader....
He Says He Was Fired for Being
Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 10:57 AM CST
He Says He Was Fired for Being Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Decision says ethical veganism is belief worthy of protection from discrimination, but case isn't over
- A UK man who says he was fired due to his ethical veganism saw partial victory this week via an employment tribunal. Unlike run-of-the-mill veganism, ethical veganism resists not only an animal-based diet, but all kinds of animal exploitation, such as buying clothes made from leather, or testing products on...
Report: Trump Jr. Had
an 'Unusual' Summer Vacation
Dec 11, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Report: Trump Jr. Had an 'Unusual' Summer Vacation
He killed a rare Mongolian sheep, got retroactive permit, met with nation's president: ProPublica
- Donald Trump Jr. lived the "Yurt Life" over the summer, embarking on an expedition with his son Donald to Mongolia that he documented in a series of Instagram posts . Now, ProPublica and WYNC report that Trump Jr. received "special treatment" during the trip, which "blurred the lines...
Big Pregnancy Study
Halted After 6 Babies Die
Oct 29, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Big Pregnancy Study Halted After 6 Babies Die
But results of late-term labor induction are being noted: 'There is potential to save babies' lives'
- A Swedish study has been canceled after the deaths of six infants, but early results are already changing the approach to late-term pregnancy. The
reports on research undertaken by Sahlgrenska University Hospital that wanted to see, in pregnant women who'd gone past 40 weeks of gestation, if labor...
Top Navy SEAL Warns:
'We Have a Problem'
Aug 2, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Top Navy SEAL Warns: 'We Have a Problem'
Addressing 'good order and discipline problem' is 'top priority'
- The commander of the Naval Special Warfare Command put the words "We have a problem" in bold font. "I don't know yet if we have a culture problem, I do know that we have a good order and discipline problem that must be addressed immediately," reads...
Apr 5, 2019 10:18 AM CDT
Judge Faces Suspension After 'Close Your Legs' Remark
Ethics panel: Suspend John Russo after 'egregious' questioning of alleged assault victim
- "Emotional immaturity" has been cited by a New Jersey Supreme Court advisory panel as a factor in its recommendation that a family court judge be suspended without pay for three months and receive training in "appropriate courtroom demeanor." The ethics committee's main bone of contention with...
Feb 10, 2019 12:45 PM CST
AOC 'Lightning Round' Video on Ethics Goes Viral
The Congress member asks if she can be 'the bad guy'
- "Let's play a lightning-round game. I'm going to be the bad guy, which I'm sure half the room would agree with anyway." So said Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as she kicked off questioning about current US campaign-finance laws Wednesday at a House committee hearing on government...
Has 5 New
Jan 21, 2019 9:30 AM CST
Ivanka Trump Has 5 New Trademarks
In China, which is in trade negotiations with her father's administration
- The Chinese government has granted Ivanka Trump's company preliminary approval for another five trademarks this month, reports the AP , as her father's administration pushes ahead on trade negotiations with China. Four trademarks, including child care centers, sunglasses, and wedding dresses, were approved on Sunday. A fifth, covering brokerage,...
Chicago Mayor: This Town
Really Needs to Change
Jan 13, 2019 2:24 PM CST
Chicago Mayor: This Town Really Needs to Change
Rahm Emanuel puts forth a proposal
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is proposing far-reaching ethics reforms for the City Council in the wake of a federal attempted-extortion charge filed this month against a powerful alderman, the AP reports. A Sunday statement from the mayor's office doesn't mention Ed Burke directly. But several suggested changes directly...
Ex-Ethics Chief: Sanders'
Broke Federal Rules
Jun 25, 2018 6:51 AM CDT
Ex-Ethics Chief: Sanders' Restaurant Tweet Broke Federal Rules
She shouldn't have used official account, he says
- Sarah Sanders shouldn't be using her official social media accounts to complain about restaurants, according to a former federal ethics chief. Walter Shaub—who served as director of the Office of Government Ethics during the Obama administration and stepped down last year after publicly clashing with President Trump—says...
Research on 'Alien' Skeleton
Causes Outrage in Chile
Mar 29, 2018 3:45 AM CDT
Research on 'Alien' Skeleton Causes Outrage in Chile
Body of stillborn girl was dug up near church
- A tiny skeleton long rumored to be some kind of alien-human hybrid is actually the body of a stillborn baby girl , researchers say—and the finding has caused outrage in Chile, where the body was dug up near an abandoned Catholic church in 2003. Chilean scientists say it appears that...
A Sheriff's Odd
May Not Be So Rare
Mar 14, 2018 4:03 PM CDT
A Sheriff's Odd $750K 'Compensation' May Not Be So Rare
Old Alabama state law lets sheriffs take excess funds meant for feeding inmates
- Todd Entrekin makes just under $95,000 a year as the sheriff of Alabama's Etowah County, but somehow he and his wife Karen (an ex-probation officer) have $1.7 million in property spread over two counties. AL.com reports that how he paid for all of this is now...
As Cartoons Played, Monkeys
Forced to Breathe Diesel Fumes
Jan 29, 2018 10:26 AM CST
As Cartoons Played, Monkeys Forced to Breathe Diesel Fumes
Other experiments involved humans
- Could carmakers replace cable companies in the battle for the title of Most Reviled Industry? This news out of Germany could certainly help. The BBC reports German carmakers funded research that involved having humans and monkeys inhale diesel exhaust fumes to gauge the health impact. The research was done at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.