Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Iran nuclear weapons program
Stories 1 - 20 |
in Nuclear Deal Talks
Aug 16, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Iran Issues 'Written Response' in Nuclear Deal Talks
State-run media outlet suggests Tehran won't accept the proposal
- Iran said Tuesday it submitted a “written response” to what has been described as a final roadmap to restore its tattered nuclear deal with world powers, the AP reports. Iran's state-run IRNA news agency offered no details on the substance of its response, but suggested that Tehran still...
Iran's Nuke Chief Makes
'Rare' Claim on Atomic Bomb
Aug 1, 2022 7:49 AM CDT
Iran's Nuke Chief Makes 'Rare' Claim on Atomic Bomb
Country has capability to build bomb, though it doesn't plan to right now, says Mohammad Eslami
- Iran could build an atomic bomb if it really wanted to—it just doesn't plan to, at least at the moment. So said Mohammad Eslami, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, on Monday, according to the Fars news agency, echoing similar remarks made last month by a...
Iran: We Could Build a
Nuke If We Wanted To
Jul 18, 2022 2:07 AM CDT
Iran: We Could Build a Nuke If We Wanted To
Comment from Khamenei adviser comes soon after Biden's Middle East trip
- Iran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb, though the country hasn't yet decided whether it will do so, according to a senior adviser to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. "In a few days we were able to enrich uranium up to 60% and we can...
Iran Accuses Israel of
Sabotage at Nuclear Plant
Apr 12, 2021 6:52 AM CDT
Iran Accuses Israel of Sabotage at Nuclear Plant
It may have been a cyberattack at the Natanz site
- Iran on Monday blamed Israel for a sabotage attack on its underground Natanz nuclear facility that damaged the centrifuges it uses to enrich uranium there, warning that it would avenge the assault, per the AP . The comments by Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh represent the first official accusation leveled against...
Iran: Power Outage at
Plant Was 'Nuclear Terrorism'
Apr 11, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Iran: Power Outage at Plant Was 'Nuclear Terrorism'
Israel may have been behind the cyberattack, its media reports
- Iran has described a blackout at its underground Natanz atomic installation on Sunday an act of "nuclear terrorism." No injuries or leaks were caused by the problem with the power distribution network, the BBC reports. The head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization didn't accuse anyone of...
In a Message to Iran,
US Bombers Buzz Mideast
Mar 7, 2021 10:30 AM CST
In a Message to Iran, US Bombers Buzz Mideast
Flights are the second ordered during Biden administration
- A pair of B-52 bombers flew over the Mideast on Sunday, the latest such mission in the region aimed at warning Iran amid tensions between Washington and Tehran. The flight by the two heavy bombers came as a pro-Iran satellite channel based in Beirut broadcast Iranian drone footage of an...
Biden Won't Lift Sanctions
to Revive Iran Negotiations
Feb 7, 2021 5:40 PM CST
Biden Won't Lift Sanctions to Revive Iran Negotiations
He indicated that the country must stop enriching uranium first
- “No.” That’s President Joe Biden’s response to a question on whether he’d lift economic sanctions on Iran to get the country back to the negotiating table for the Iran Nuclear deal. Speaking to CBS News , Biden indicated that Iran would need to stop enriching uranium...
2 Big Moves
Against the West
Jan 4, 2021 4:42 PM CST
Iran Makes 2 Big Moves Against the West
Country seizes South Korean tanker, increases nuclear enrichment
- Iran began enriching uranium Monday to levels unseen since its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers and also seized a South Korean-flagged tanker near the crucial Strait of Hormuz, a double-barreled challenge to the West that further raised Mideast tensions. Both decisions appeared aimed at increasing Tehran's leverage in...
Iranian Scientist May Have
Been Killed Via Satellite
Nov 30, 2020 7:20 AM CST
Iranian Scientist May Have Been Killed Via Satellite
Government official accuses Israel of using 'electronic devices'
- A new narrative is emerging about how Iran's top nuclear scientist got gunned down last week on a stretch of road. The main story line is unchanged: Iran accuses Israel of assassinating Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, though Israel isn't saying a word about it. What's new is that the...
Nov 28, 2020 12:21 PM CST
Iran: We Know Who Killed Our Nuclear Scientist
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says revenge will come
- Iran's supreme leader on Saturday demanded the "definitive punishment" of those behind the killing of a scientist who led Tehran's disbanded military nuclear program, as the Islamic Republic blamed Israel for a slaying that has raised fears of reignited tensions across the Middle East, the AP reports....
After Iranian Scientist Is Killed,
'Serious Indications' Emerge
Nov 27, 2020 10:15 AM CST
After Iranian Scientist Is Killed, 'Serious Indications' Emerge
Benjamin Netanyahu had mentioned Mohsen Fakhrizadeh before, said 'remember that name'
- Iran's foreign minister is alleging the killing of a scientist linked to the country's disbanded military nuclear program has "serious indications" of an Israeli role. Mohammad Javad Zarif made the statement Friday on Twitter, per the AP . "Terrorists murdered an eminent Iranian scientist today," Zarif...
Pence Helped Talk Trump
Out of Bombing Iran: Report
Nov 17, 2020 6:19 AM CST
Pence Helped Talk Trump Out of Bombing Iran: Report
'New York Times' says president asked advisers about strike before he leaves office
- The election isn't the only big matter on President Trump's mind. The
New York Times
reports that he asked top aides last week about bombing Iran. According to the story, Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo were among those who talked the president out...
Iran Admits the Truth
About Burned Nuclear Site
Jul 5, 2020 4:50 PM CDT
Iran Admits the Truth About Burned Nuclear Site
Iranian officials had tried to downplay the blaze at Natanz
- Iran on Sunday confirmed that a damaged building at the underground Natanz nuclear site was a new centrifuge assembly center, the official IRNA news agency reported, per the AP . Iranian officials had previously sought to downplay the fire , which erupted early on Thursday, calling it only an "incident" that...
A 'Worrisome' Development:
Iran 'Has a Pathway to a Bomb'
Mar 4, 2020 6:11 AM CST
A 'Worrisome' Development: Iran 'Has a Pathway to a Bomb'
IAEA reports say Iran's low-enriched uranium stockpile has tripled
- When the Trump administration took the US out of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, the idea was to instead impose sanctions to pressure Iran to stop developing its nuclear program. Now, "the numbers suggest a different reality"—that Iran "now has a pathway to a bomb,"...
Site Meant for
Nov 11, 2019 11:33 AM CST
Site Meant for Research Has Been Enriching Uranium: UN Watchdog
It looks like Fordo underground facility is in violation of 2015 nuclear deal
- The United Nations' nuclear watchdog has confirmed that Iran is now enriching uranium at its underground Fordo facility, a move prohibited by the 2015 nuclear deal. That's according to a confidential quarterly report that was distributed to member states and seen by the AP on Monday. Iran invited inspectors...
Iran Gives Europe an Ultimatum
Sep 2, 2019 9:33 AM CDT
Iran Gives Europe an Ultimatum
Tehran wants new terms on nuke deal, or it will take 'strong step' away from it
- Iran will "take a strong step" away from its 2015 nuclear deal if Europe cannot offer new terms, a government rep said Monday as top Iranian diplomats traveled to France and Russia for last-minute talks. Ali Rabiei reinforced the deadline Iran had set for Friday for Europe to offer...
Iran, 5 World
Jul 28, 2019 11:31 AM CDT
Iran, 5 World Powers Discuss Nuclear Deal
Germany, France, and Britain are among those who met in Vienna
- Diplomats from Iran and five world powers recommitted Sunday to salvaging a major nuclear deal amid mounting tensions between the West and Tehran since the US withdrew from the accord and reimposed sanctions, the AP reports. Representatives of Iran, Germany, France, Britain, China, Russia, and the European Union met in...
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
Jul 8, 2019 3:41 PM CDT
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
It's now enriching uranium to 4.5%
- Iran on Monday began enriching uranium to 4.5%, just breaking the limit set by its nuclear deal with world powers, while it is still seeking a way for Europe to help it bypass US sanctions amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington. The acknowledgement by the spokesman of the...
Iran Had an
a New Defiance
Jul 3, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Iran Had an 'Unwelcome Milestone.' Now, a New Defiance
Uranium enrichment will be 'as much as we want it to be,' President Hassan Rouhani says
- Iran announced an "unwelcome milestone" this week: It has 660 pounds of low-enriched uranium stockpiled, a violation of the 2015 nuclear deal the US pulled out of last year. The
notes that reserve on its own doesn't bring the country much closer to being able to...
War With Iran?
'I Hope Not,'
May 17, 2019 8:28 AM CDT
War With Iran? 'I Hope Not,' Says Trump
Diplomats move to de-escalate situation
- Going to war with Iran is not on the to-do list of President Trump, officials say. Sources tell the
New York Times
that the president—who strongly criticized America's Middle East entanglements during his 2016 campaign—told Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan during a Wednesday morning briefing that he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.