Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Sentenced to Prison
After Threats to CNN Anchors
Dec 21, 2021 8:14 AM CST
Man Sentenced to Prison After Threats to CNN Anchors
Robert Lemke also threatened members of Congress, including on Jan. 6
- A California man is headed to prison for three years after threatening 50 people who stated that President Biden won the 2020 presidential election, including CNN anchors and members of Congress. "We have armed members near your home," 36-year-old Robert Lemke, who claimed to be part of a...
Ted Cruz Courts Controversy
With Tweet About 'Woke' Army
May 21, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
Ted Cruz Courts Controversy With Tweet About 'Woke' Army
Senator criticized over his complaint about 'emasculated' US military
- Ted Cruz has stirred up controversy again, this time over an Army ad and his view that left-leaning advocates are turning soldiers into "pansies." But he's getting a lot of pushback about that. Coverage:
This all began when Cruz commented on a TikTok video that purports to
Senate Passes Bill on
Anti-Asian Crimes, 94-1
Apr 22, 2021 3:34 PM CDT
Senate Passes Bill on Anti-Asian Crimes, 94-1
Missouri's Josh Hawley is the lone nay vote
- The Senate overwhelmingly approved legislation Thursday intended to counter violence against Asian Americans, which has increased during the pandemic. Majority Leader Charles Schumer said passage sends a message to Asian Americans that the government is listening and reassures them that "hate crimes will not be tolerated." The bill...
Tammy Duckworth Fires Back
at Tucker Carlson in Op-Ed
Jul 10, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Tammy Duckworth Fires Back at Tucker Carlson in Op-Ed
'These titanium legs don't buckle'
- Tucker Carlson has stepped up his attacks against Sen. Tammy Duckworth in recent days, calling her a moron, a coward , and a vandal and challenging Duckworth's patriotism after she expressed openness to a "national dialogue" about the complicated legacies of American founders. In a blistering
New York Times
Jul 7, 2020 6:38 AM CDT
Senator Has Quick Response After Patriotism Is Questioned
Tammy Duckworth to Fox's Tucker Carlson: 'Walk a mile in my legs'
- Tammy Duckworth's profile is on the rise as one of Joe Biden's potential running mates , and the Illinois senator took some strong criticism from Tucker Carlson during his Fox show Monday night. “You’re not supposed to criticize Tammy Duckworth in any way because she once served...
These 2 Names
Are on the Rise as
Jul 6, 2020 3:32 AM CDT
These 2 Names Are on the Rise as VP Candidates
Sen. Tammy Duckworth and former US Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice
- Two new names are increasingly getting buzz as possibilities for Joe Biden's running mate: Sen. Tammy Duckworth and former US Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice. As Politico reports, Duckworth, who is of Thai and Chinese descent, ramped up the speculation on Sunday when she declined to say...
Ready to Block
Over 1K Military
Jul 3, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
Senator: I'm Ready to Block Over 1K Military Promotions
Sen. Tammy Duckworth stands up for a key Trump whistleblower
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth is drawing the line. The Illinois Democrat announced Thursday she'll hold up over 1,100 military promotions unless the Pentagon promises it won't block the promotion of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, who testified in in the House impeachment inquiry of President Trump,
As Airports Jam, Ill. Gov
Tells Feds to Get Their
'S@#t Together. NOW.'
Mar 15, 2020 6:09 AM CDT
As Airports Jam, Ill. Gov Tells Feds to Get Their 'S@#t Together. NOW.'
O'Hare among airports hit by lines as feds struggle to screen hordes of travelers for coronavirus
- As weary travelers returned to the US amid coronavirus-related travel restrictions, the AP reports that they were greeted with packed, hourslong waits for required medical screenings at airports. Posts on social media indicated passengers at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport waited upward of four hours in lines, eliciting criticism...
Jan 10, 2020 2:52 PM CST
Apology Follows Comment That Democrats Love Terrorists
Doug Collins says he doesn't really believe that
- "Let me be clear: I do not believe Democrats are in love with terrorists, and I apologize for what I said earlier this week." What Rep. Doug Collins had said earlier was that Democrats are "in love with terrorists" and mourn the Iranian general killed by the...
Make Senate History
Apr 19, 2018 2:32 PM CDT
Duckworth, Newborn Make Senate History
Baby was brought onto Senate floor for vote
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth and daughter Maile have made Senate history, the AP reports. The Illinois Democrat brought her daughter, in a pink hat, onto the Senate floor Thursday under new rules that permitted it. Duckworth already is the only senator to have given birth while serving in the Senate. Maile,...
'But What if There Are 10
Babies on Floor of the Senate?'
Apr 19, 2018 3:16 AM CDT
'But What if There Are 10 Babies on Floor of the Senate?'
Senate unanimously votes to allow members' newborns, but not without some qualms
- Who doesn't like babies? No one in the Senate, apparently—at least not enough to block a historic rules change that passed Wednesday allowing the newborns of members into the chamber. Its passage without objection came despite plenty of concern, some privately aired, among senators of both parties about...
Tammy Duckworth's Newborn
Soon to Make History Again
Apr 16, 2018 5:45 PM CDT
Tammy Duckworth's Newborn Soon to Make History Again
The Illinois Democrat wants to bring her baby to the Senate during votes
- Tammy Duckworth made history when she became the first US Senator to give birth while in office and now the Illinois Democrat wants to make history again. This time, it could change age-old Senate rules. According to
, Duckworth has submitted a resolution that would allow children under a...
Achieves a Big First
Apr 9, 2018 3:33 PM CDT
Tammy Duckworth Gives Birth, Achieves a Big First
She's the first US senator to give birth while in office
- Tammy Duckworth gave birth to a girl, Maile, Monday, making her the first US senator to deliver a baby while in office, NPR reports. Duckworth, 50, who lost both her legs in the Iraq war and now represents Illinois, had her first daughter Abigail in 2014 while she was serving...
White House Walks Back
Trump's 'Treasonous' Remark
Feb 6, 2018 9:54 AM CST
White House Walks Back Trump's 'Treasonous' Remark
It was 'tongue in cheek,' spokesman says
- The White House says President Trump wasn't speaking seriously when he said it was "treasonous" for Democrats not to clap during his State of the Union address. He was speaking "tongue in cheek" and trying to emphasize positive changes under his leadership that all Americans should celebrate,...
Set to Make History
Jan 24, 2018 1:46 AM CST
Senator's Pregnancy Set to Make History
Tammy Duckworth will be first to give birth in office
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth, the first disabled woman to serve in the House and the first Asian-American member of Congress from Illinois, is on course to chalk up another first: She's six months pregnant with her second child, which will make her the first senator to give birth while in...
Senator Who Lost Legs in War
Slams 'Draft-Dodger' Trump
Jan 22, 2018 6:29 AM CST
Senator Who Lost Legs in War Slams 'Draft-Dodger' Trump
Duckworth has message for 'Cadet Bone Spurs'
- A Democratic senator who lost both legs while serving in the Iraq War says she isn't going to let a "draft-dodging" president lecture her on what the military needs. Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth, a retired US Army lieutenant colonel, slammed President Trump as "Cadet Bone Spurs" in...
Senator Sorry He
Oct 28, 2016 12:36 PM CDT
Senator Sorry He Questioned Opponent's Heritage
Mark Kirk's comment Thursday had met with 'thunderous condemnation'
- Sen. Mark Kirk has apologized for a comment he made Thursday during a debate with challenger Tammy Duckworth that was met with "thunderous condemnation" around the country, NBC Chicago reports. "I forgot that your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington," the
In Tight Race, Ill. Senate
Debate Takes an Ugly Turn
Oct 28, 2016 6:26 AM CDT
In Tight Race, Ill. Senate Debate Takes an Ugly Turn
Mark Kirk questions Tammy Duckworth's US heritage
- Illinois Republican Mark Kirk's chances of keeping his US Senate seat took a hit Thursday night when he made an ugly—and inaccurate—remark about his opponent's heritage during a televised debate. After Democratic US Rep. Tammy Duckworth, who was born in Bangkok to a Thai mother and...
Pelosi Takes Flak
for Not Letting
Nov 19, 2014 2:23 PM CST
Pelosi Takes Flak for Not Letting Pregnant Rep Vote
War vet and amputee Tammy Duckworth not given proxy vote
- Democrats may have re-elected Nancy Pelosi as their House leader this week, but she's taking lots of criticism from within her own party and beyond over one controversial move, reports Roll Call . Pelosi refused to let Rep. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois vote by proxy in the party's leadership...
Rips 'Disabled' Vet:
'Shame on You'
Jun 27, 2013 9:41 AM CDT
Tammy Duckworth Rips 'Disabled' Vet: 'Shame on You'
Amputee congresswoman angry over breaks given to business for prep school injury
- Lost amid the Supreme Court news of yesterday was an epic takedown on Capitol Hill covered by the
and spotted by Gawker . It happened when Rep. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, who lost both her legs and the use of one arm flying a helicopter in Iraq, grilled IRS...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.