Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gig Driver Who Missed Car
Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Jan 6, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Gig Driver Who Missed Car Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Ali Badr is suing city of San Ramon, Calif., for excessive force after being pulled over by cops
- A gig driver badly mauled by a police dog is suing a San Francisco area suburb, alleging use of excessive force and violation of civil rights when police stopped him in December 2020 after he'd missed car rental payments, reports the AP . Dashboard and body-camera videos obtained by the...
Suit: Cops Fired on 'Innocent
Bystanders,' Killing 8-Year-Old
Oct 28, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
Suit: Cops Fired on 'Innocent Bystanders,' Killing 8-Year-Old
Family of Fanta Bility files federal lawsuit against Philadelphia police
The family of an 8-year-old girl fatally shot by police outside a high school football game in Philadelphia allege unreasonable and excessive force in a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday. Gunfire erupted during an altercation between young men after the Aug. 27 game in Sharon Hill, CNN reports. Three police...
Girl, 10, Drew a
Picture at School.
Then Cops Arrested Her
Oct 21, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Girl, 10, Drew a Picture at School. Then Cops Arrested Her
ACLU of Hawaii demands $500K in damages, plus reforms
- The American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii is demanding $500,000 in damages after a 10-year-old Black girl was arrested at school over a drawing. A parent of a student at Honowai Elementary School outside Honolulu demanded staff call police in response to the girl's drawing, which allegedly depicted...
Cops Saw 'Weapons
All Over the Wall.'
Brothers: Not Exactly
Apr 8, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Cops Saw 'Weapons All Over the Wall.' Brothers: Not Exactly
Fort Lauderdale police accused of excessive force felt threatened after seeing 'Star Trek' props: suit
- Two police officers in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., who've been previously accused of what the
dubs "overzealous policing" have now been hit with a lawsuit by two brothers who are claiming the same. Per the complaint filed Monday against officers Alexander Paul and Steven Pohorence, as well...
Testimony at Chauvin Trial:
'At That Point, It's Just Pain'
Apr 7, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Testimony at Chauvin Trial: 'At That Point, It's Just Pain'
LAPD use-of-force expert Sgt. Jody Stiger testified for the prosecution
- The prosecution in the case of Derek Chauvin brought in an LAPD use-of-force expert to review documents and videos from the scene, and Sgt. Jody Stiger on Wednesday told jurors Chauvin appeared to be inflicting pain on George Floyd's cuffed hand during his arrest. Citing body-camera video, Stiger said...
Martin Gugino, Shoved to
Ground by Cops, Files Suit
Feb 23, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Martin Gugino, Shoved to Ground by Cops, Files Suit
75-year-old protester who fractured his skull during confrontation is suing Buffalo, 3 officers
- Last week, criminal charges were dropped against two police officers who were caught on video pushing 75-year-old protester Martin Gugino to the ground during a June 4 protest in Buffalo, NY, against police brutality and racism. Gugino, who fractured his skull and suffered a concussion as a result of the...
Feb 1, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Rochester Cops Shown Cuffing, Pepper-Spraying 9-Year-Old Girl
Bodycam footage out of upstate NY has department vowing to make a 'culture change'
- "This video, as a mother, is not anything you want to see." That was Lovely Warren, mayor of Rochester, NY, on Sunday morning, reacting just before the city released body camera footage of an incident Friday afternoon involving the city's police and a local child. Per the...
Whistleblower: DC Protesters
Faced 'Unprovoked Escalation'
Sep 17, 2020 6:40 AM CDT
Whistleblower: DC Protesters Faced 'Unprovoked Escalation'
National Guard major says protesters were peaceful, did not receive ample warnings
- The senior-most DC National Guard officer at Lafayette Square on June 1, the day protesters were forcibly removed before President Trump did a photo-op at a nearby church, has claimed federal officials sought crowd control devices too unpredictable to be used in war zones and moved in without clear, repeated...
Video Shows K9 Repeatedly
Bite Compliant Black Man
Aug 13, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Video Shows K9 Repeatedly Bite Compliant Black Man
Months later, Salt Lake City officer is placed on leave
- K9s are off the job for now in Salt Lake City after police footage showed a dog repeatedly biting a Black man kneeling on the ground with his hands up. Lawyers for Jeffrey Ryans, 36, say the April 24 attack left him with leg gashes that looked like they were...
Mom to File $10M Suit Against
NYPD After Mask Fracas
Jun 18, 2020 7:24 AM CDT
Mom to File $10M Suit Against NYPD After Mask Fracas
Kaleemah Rozier's claim says cops put knee on her neck while 5-year-old son watched
- A mother arrested for not properly wearing a mask plans to file a $10 million notice of claim against New York City for excessive force, arguing police officers put a knee on her neck in front of her 5-year-old son. Kaleemah Rozier, 22, and her son were inside a Brooklyn...
Police Chief Decries
'Horrible' Use of
Force on Black Man
Jun 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Police Chief Decries 'Horrible' Use of Force on Black Man
Police officer Tyler Timberlake charged with assault after using stun gun on 'man in crisis'
- A Virginia police officer was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery Saturday after being accused of using excessive force on a black man. The
Fort Hunt Herald
reports the incident took place Friday around 1:30pm in Mount Vernon, where an apparently disoriented victim—described by the Fairfax County Police...
'Whitewashed' Cop Movies,
TV Shows Have to Go
Jun 5, 2020 12:41 PM CDT
'Whitewashed' Cop Movies, TV Shows Have to Go
In 'WaPo,' Alyssa Rosenberg calls for more realistic storytelling about police
- In the wake of the death of George Floyd , the subject of racism and police brutality is now top of mind for most Americans. Alyssa Rosenberg has one idea on how Hollywood can help move things forward on these pervasive, intertwined issues: "Halt production on cop shows and movies...
Protesters for George Floyd
Attack CNN HQ: 'Say His Name'
May 30, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Protesters for George Floyd Attack CNN HQ: 'Say His Name'
Protests for black man killed in police custody in Minneapolis erupt into violence in cities across US
- Demonstrators marched, stopped traffic, and in some cases lashed out violently at police as protests erupted Friday in dozens of US cities following the killing of George Floyd after a white officer pressed a knee into his neck while taking him into custody in Minnesota. In Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas,...
Black Man Dies After Cop
Encounter: 'I Can't Breathe'
May 26, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Black Man Dies After Cop Encounter: 'I Can't Breathe'
Video circulates showing police officer with his knee on neck of black man who later died
- A black man in Minneapolis is dead after an encounter with police over the holiday weekend, and a viral video showing that incident has "traumatized" the community and spurred demands for answers. The details:
, the video was shot around 8pm Monday, which is
Big Last-Minute Move
Nov 9, 2018 10:14 AM CST
Sessions Makes Big Last-Minute Move
Guidelines appear to curtail Justice Department's oversight of police departments
- A memo dated Nov. 7 out of the Office of the Attorney General appears to be Jeff Sessions' last hurrah, but civil rights advocates aren't applauding. The
New York Times
reports that, before he left his post at President Trump's request, Sessions signed off on strict new guidelines...
Cops Tase 87-Year-Old Who
Was Looking for Dandelions
Aug 17, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Cops Tase 87-Year-Old Who Was Looking for Dandelions
Martha Al-Bishara is 87, doesn't speak English
- After an elderly woman wouldn't leave the grounds of a Boys and Girls Club in rural Georgia last Friday, police were called—and the situation culminated with Martha Al-Bishara, 87, being tased. CNN reports the 911 caller described Al-Bishara as walking on the bike trails while holding a knife,...
Suit: Cop Shot
Aug 2, 2018 1:16 PM CDT
Suit: Cop Shot Unarmed Teen 'Without Warning'
Excessive force alleged in Antwon Rose's June death
- A lawsuit alleging "excessive and deadly force" has followed a homicide charge in the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black teenager in East Pittsburgh. "It is time that we begin to seek answers," a lawyer tells ABC News of the federal suit filed Tuesday on behalf...
Cop Faces Felony Charges
After Arrest of Jaywalker
Mar 9, 2018 12:29 PM CST
Cop Faces Felony Charges After Arrest of Jaywalker
Outrage followed leaking of body camera video that showed violent arrest
- A North Carolina police officer recorded beating a black man stopped for jaywalking now faces criminal charges. It began around midnight on Aug. 25 when officer Christopher Hickman and a police trainee stopped 33-year-old Johnnie Jermaine Rush in Asheville and accused him of jaywalking and trespassing through a parking lot,...
Tenn. Sheriff After Fatal
Shooting: 'I Love This S---'
Feb 7, 2018 7:02 AM CST
Tenn. Sheriff After Fatal Shooting: 'I Love This S---'
Lawsuit alleges excessive force in June shooting in Tennessee
- The fatal shooting of an unarmed Tennessee man is now the focus of a federal lawsuit based on footage in which a sheriff suggests he ordered the killing to avoid damage to police cars. In the aftermath of the April 13, 2017, shooting of Michael Dial—determined to be justified—...
Cop Fired for Kicking
Handcuffed Man in Head
Apr 14, 2017 11:11 AM CDT
Cop Fired for Kicking Handcuffed Man in Head
2nd officer also fired for punching Georgia motorist as he came out of car with hands up
- Two videos circulating on social media showed a Georgia man being assaulted by two cops during a traffic stop this week, and now those cops have been fired, the AP reports. Robert McDonald was canned Thursday after the first video came to light involving motorist Demetrius Bryan Hollins, the Gwinnett...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Scientists Take Issue With Joe Rogan Podcast Discussion
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
This Airline Is the Best of All Major US Carriers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.