Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Protesters for George Floyd
Attack CNN HQ: 'Say His Name'
May 30, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Protesters for George Floyd Attack CNN HQ: 'Say His Name'
Protests for black man killed in police custody in Minneapolis erupt into violence in cities across US
- Demonstrators marched, stopped traffic, and in some cases lashed out violently at police as protests erupted Friday in dozens of US cities following the killing of George Floyd after a white officer pressed a knee into his neck while taking him into custody in Minnesota. In Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas,...
Black Man Dies After Cop
Encounter: 'I Can't Breathe'
May 26, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Black Man Dies After Cop Encounter: 'I Can't Breathe'
Video circulates showing police officer with his knee on neck of black man who later died
- A black man in Minneapolis is dead after an encounter with police over the holiday weekend, and a viral video showing that incident has "traumatized" the community and spurred demands for answers. The details:
, the video was shot around 8pm Monday, which is
Big Last-Minute Move
Nov 9, 2018 10:14 AM CST
Sessions Makes Big Last-Minute Move
Guidelines appear to curtail Justice Department's oversight of police departments
- A memo dated Nov. 7 out of the Office of the Attorney General appears to be Jeff Sessions' last hurrah, but civil rights advocates aren't applauding. The
New York Times
reports that, before he left his post at President Trump's request, Sessions signed off on strict new guidelines...
Cops Tase 87-Year-Old Who
Was Looking for Dandelions
Aug 17, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Cops Tase 87-Year-Old Who Was Looking for Dandelions
Martha Al-Bishara is 87, doesn't speak English
- After an elderly woman wouldn't leave the grounds of a Boys and Girls Club in rural Georgia last Friday, police were called—and the situation culminated with Martha Al-Bishara, 87, being tased. CNN reports the 911 caller described Al-Bishara as walking on the bike trails while holding a knife,...
Suit: Cop Shot
Aug 2, 2018 1:16 PM CDT
Suit: Cop Shot Unarmed Teen 'Without Warning'
Excessive force alleged in Antwon Rose's June death
- A lawsuit alleging "excessive and deadly force" has followed a homicide charge in the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black teenager in East Pittsburgh. "It is time that we begin to seek answers," a lawyer tells ABC News of the federal suit filed Tuesday on behalf...
Cop Faces Felony Charges
After Arrest of Jaywalker
Mar 9, 2018 12:29 PM CST
Cop Faces Felony Charges After Arrest of Jaywalker
Outrage followed leaking of body camera video that showed violent arrest
- A North Carolina police officer recorded beating a black man stopped for jaywalking now faces criminal charges. It began around midnight on Aug. 25 when officer Christopher Hickman and a police trainee stopped 33-year-old Johnnie Jermaine Rush in Asheville and accused him of jaywalking and trespassing through a parking lot,...
Tenn. Sheriff After Fatal
Shooting: 'I Love This S---'
Feb 7, 2018 7:02 AM CST
Tenn. Sheriff After Fatal Shooting: 'I Love This S---'
Lawsuit alleges excessive force in June shooting in Tennessee
- The fatal shooting of an unarmed Tennessee man is now the focus of a federal lawsuit based on footage in which a sheriff suggests he ordered the killing to avoid damage to police cars. In the aftermath of the April 13, 2017, shooting of Michael Dial—determined to be justified—...
Cop Fired for Kicking
Handcuffed Man in Head
Apr 14, 2017 11:11 AM CDT
Cop Fired for Kicking Handcuffed Man in Head
2nd officer also fired for punching Georgia motorist as he came out of car with hands up
- Two videos circulating on social media showed a Georgia man being assaulted by two cops during a traffic stop this week, and now those cops have been fired, the AP reports. Robert McDonald was canned Thursday after the first video came to light involving motorist Demetrius Bryan Hollins, the Gwinnett...
Video of Cop
Apr 11, 2017 3:33 AM CDT
Video of Cop Body-Slamming Young Woman Causes Furor
Police in Colorado say it's a 'standard arrest technique'
- A nine-second video showing a female college student slammed to the ground by a Colorado police officer, viewed 780,000 times on Instagram, has many accusing the officer of excessive force. But Fort Collins Police, who are investigating Thursday's incident, say people are jumping to conclusions as the video...
Man Says Cop Raped Him,
Cops Suggest It Was Accident
Feb 10, 2017 11:56 AM CST
Man Says Cop Raped Him, Cops Suggest It Was Accident
4 French officers charged after arrest last week
- A 22-year-old French man says a police officer used a baton to rape him during an arrest in a Paris suburb, leaving him to undergo emergency surgery for injuries to his rectum. According to one of the involved officer's lawyers, the baton might've slipped into the man's...
DOJ: Chicago PD Rife With
Racial Bias, Excessive Force
Jan 13, 2017 12:29 PM CST
DOJ: Chicago PD Rife With Racial Bias, Excessive Force
Discrimination, use of excessive force, poor training among long-awaited report's findings
describes as a "scathing report" about Chicago police was released Friday by the Justice Department, with findings of rampant racial bias (including a finding of "reasonable cause" that excessive force was used against minorities), shoddy training, and the mishandling of cops accused of misconduct, per...
Jul 13, 2016 5:25 PM CDT
ACLU Sues Baton Rouge Police Over Protests
Lawsuit claims riot-gear clad cops stomped on protesters' rights
- Civil rights groups and activists sued Baton Rouge law enforcement agencies over their treatment of protesters rallying against the police shooting death of Alton Sterling, saying officers used excessive force and physically and verbally abused peaceful demonstrators, the AP reports. The lawsuit was announced Wednesday by the ACLU of Louisiana....
Apr 27, 2016 6:45 PM CDT
Reserve Deputy Convicted for Accidentally Shooting Suspect
He's facing four years in prison for manslaughter
- A former Oklahoma volunteer sheriff's deputy who said he mistook his handgun for his stun gun when he fatally shot an unarmed suspect last year was convicted of second-degree manslaughter on Wednesday, the AP reports. Robert Bates, a wealthy 74-year-old insurance executive, was accused of fatally shooting Eric Harris...
Girl in Video
Apr 7, 2016 7:21 AM CDT
School Cop Body-Slams 12-Year-Old Girl in Video
Joshua Kehm has been placed on paid leave
- A school police officer is on paid leave after a video surfaced showing him body-slamming a 12-year-old girl, apparently knocking her unconscious. The video recorded March 29 opens showing San Antonio Independent School District Police Officer Joshua Kehm with his arms around sixth-grader Janissa Valdez at Rhodes Middle School. "...
Cop Fired for
Mar 22, 2016 10:31 AM CDT
Cop Fired for Shooting Naked, Unarmed Teen
David Joseph killed by Texas officer who says 17-year-old charged him on Feb. 8
- Officer Geoffrey Freeman had a stun gun, pepper spray, a baton, and a beanbag gun at his fingertips when he confronted a 17-year-old running naked through the streets on Feb. 8, the
New York Daily News
reports. Instead, the Texas cop with 10 years on the Austin police force drew...
Fatal 137-Shot Barrage Gets
6 Cleveland Cops Fired
Jan 26, 2016 3:40 PM CST
Fatal 137-Shot Barrage Gets 6 Cleveland Cops Fired
2012 incident killed 2 unarmed people
- Cleveland officials said Wednesday they're terminating six police officers who fired during a 137-shot barrage that killed two unarmed people after a high-speed chase, the AP reports. It wasn't immediately clear if the fired officers include Patrolman Michael Brelo, who was acquitted of manslaughter charges in May for...
Going to Start
by Cop Better
Dec 9, 2015 12:33 PM CST
FBI: We're Going to Start Counting Deaths by Cop Better
New system will list deadly encounters by gun, Taser, physical force
- The FBI is finally on the case: The agency is revamping its data-collection system to more accurately portray how many deaths come at the hands of police officers each year, the
reports, giving itself a pat on the back as part of the impetus behind the initiative. Officials say...
Video: Man Tased Repeatedly
Before Dying in Custody
Nov 12, 2015 5:20 PM CST
Video: Man Tased Repeatedly Before Dying in Custody
The incident happened two years ago and no charges were ever filed
- A 46-year-old man having a medical emergency died after being tased up to 20 times by police officers while restrained and in custody, MSNBC reports. That was more than two years ago. Since then, no charges have been filed, and the three Virginia police officers involved were promoted. Now police...
Cops for Violent
Nov 7, 2015 4:17 PM CST
Student Sues Cops for Violent Campus Arrest
Smoking on campus was apparently her only crime
- Jaclyn Pazera was sitting in her philosophy class at Illinois' College of DuPage last December when two officers came in, tipped her desk over with her in it, and forcefully arrested her, the AP reports. Her alleged crime: smoking a cigarette on campus, apparently. Pazera filed a lawsuit against the...
Applause as $1M Bond Set for Cop Charged With Murder
Jul 30, 2015 10:22 AM CDT
Applause as $1M Bond Set for Cop Charged With Murder
Judge admonishes courtroom to settle down during Ray Tensing arraignment
- A plea of "not guilty" in Ohio's Hamilton County Courthouse went routinely this morning for ex-University of Cincinnati officer Ray Tensing, charged in the shooting death of motorist Samuel DuBose , Cincinnati.com reports. But when Judge Megan Shanahan set Tensing's bond at $1 million, the courtroom burst...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.