Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Reuters: Musk Firm Has Killed
1.5K Animals in Experiments
Dec 6, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Reuters: Musk Firm Has Killed 1.5K Animals in Experiments
Sources say pressure from Musk is leading to rushed Neuralink experiments
- At a demonstration for Neuralink last week, Elon Musk showed off a test monkey that had one of his company's brain implants inserted. He said "the monkeys actually enjoy doing the demos," and there was nothing evident from the monkey onstage that there was anything amiss. Musk...
Scientist's Monkey Research Is
Put on Blast: 'I'm Horrified'
Oct 24, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Scientist's Monkey Research Is Put on Blast: 'I'm Horrified'
PETA, animal behavior experts slam Harvard's Margaret Livingstone for her work; others defend her
- A Harvard neuroscientist is drawing backlash for her studies on infant monkeys, as is the scientific journal that referenced the research. Per
, Margaret Livingstone has studied the primates for more than four decades, specifically monkeys' vision. In some of the experiments she's done, in order to see how...
I Made Off With 2 Piglets.
A Jury Found Me Not Guilty
Oct 19, 2022 4:41 PM CDT
I Made Off With 2 Piglets. A Jury Found Me Not Guilty
Animal rights activist Wayne Hsiung delves into his acquittal
- In March 2017, five animal rights activists entered Smithfield's Circle Four Farms in Milford, Utah, and made off with two piglets whose condition, the activists alleged, meant certain death. Smithfield was unaware of the thefts until a video of the act was posted months later by the
Court: Bronx Zoo
Is Not a Person
Jun 14, 2022 5:17 PM CDT
Court: Bronx Zoo Elephant 'Happy' Is Not a Person
2 judges on NY's top court disagreed with ruling on 'illegal confinement'
- Happy the elephant may be intelligent and deserving of compassion, but she cannot be considered a person being illegally confined to the Bronx Zoo, New York’s top court ruled Tuesday. The 5-2 decision by the state Court of Appeals comes in a closely watched case that tested the boundaries...
Fans Stepped Up for
Betty White's Birthday Challenge
Jan 23, 2022 2:25 PM CST
Fans Stepped Up for Betty White's Birthday Challenge
Call to action encouraged fans to donate to animal rights causes in her name
Betty White's fans stepped up big time. The "Betty White challenge" called for fans of the late actress to donate to animal shelters and rescues on what would have been her 100th birthday, and
reports those donations added up to at least $12.7 million. That'...
It's a 'Defining Moral
Failure of Our Age'
Dec 17, 2021 8:15 AM CST
It's a 'Defining Moral Failure of Our Age'
Ezra Klein offers ways to ease the suffering of factory-farmed animals
- In one sense, it's a typical column for this time of year: Ezra Klein of the
New York Times
is suggesting groups worthy of donations. In this case, he puts the focus on organizations that can help end or ease the suffering of factory-farmed animals. And in making his...
Undercover Probe Finds Catfish
'Gasping,' 'Slowly Suffocating'
Aug 16, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Undercover Probe Finds Catfish 'Gasping,' 'Slowly Suffocating'
Investigator at Simmons farm in Mississippi found 'numerous instances of animal abuse and suffering'
- "I remember as a kid the moment I learned that there was an awful place animals were sent to be killed called a slaughterhouse. If you had told me back then that I would be working in one someday, I would've never believed you." So says an...
Alpaca Set for Execution
Gets a Human Shield
Aug 12, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Alpaca Set for Execution Gets a Human Shield
Male tested positive for bovine tuberculosis; supporters say the tests are flawed
- If dogs are man's best friend, alpacas must not be far behind, given that more than 100,000 people are appealing to save an alpaca in England from execution. Geronimo, an 8-year-old who came to Gloucestershire from New Zealand four years ago, tested positive for bovine tuberculosis when his...
Activists Slam 'Shameful'
Killing of Escaped Bull
Aug 10, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Activists Slam 'Shameful' Killing of Escaped Bull
Campanito the bull gored 2 elderly men in Brihuega, Spain, before a local slammed their car into him
- Animal rights advocates are steaming after a 500-pound-plus bull escaped from a bullfighting ring in Spain over the weekend and met a terrible fate. The
reports that spectators had gathered early Sunday in Brihuega to attend a "concurso de recortadores" event, in which those taking part taunt the...
Canada Goose Makes an
Even Bigger Change on Fur
Jun 25, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
Canada Goose Makes an Even Bigger Change on Fur
It's going fur free by 2022
- Last year, Canada Goose announced it would only purchase reclaimed fur . This year, it's going further. The luxury parka maker says it will stop buying fur entirely by the end of this year, and will cease using fur in its winter coats by the end of next year, the...
Meat CEO in Fox Interview
Dec 24, 2020 5:20 AM CST
Activist Impersonates Meat CEO in Fox Interview
'We have been punked,' Maria Bartilomo admitted
- "It appears we have been punked," Maria Bartiromo said at the end of her Fox Business Network show Wednesday after learning the meat company CEO she had interviewed was actually an animal rights activist. Matt Johnson of Direct Action Everywhere impersonated Dennis Organ, new CEO of Smithfield Foods,...
Nov 27, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Here's Why Cher Just Rushed to Pakistan
Singer is there to celebrate departure of 'world's loneliest elephant' from Islamabad zoo
- Iconic singer and actress Cher is in Pakistan to celebrate the departure of Kaavan, dubbed the "world's loneliest elephant," who will soon leave a Pakistani zoo for better conditions after years of lobbying by animal rights groups and activists. Because of security concerns, Cher's schedule was...
Pain to Pets
Oct 7, 2020 8:44 AM CDT
Petco Won't Sell Product That Brings Pain to Pets
Pet supplies chain also wants its competitors to stop hawking electronic 'shock' collars
- A pet product that's been labeled "controversial" by the Humane Society will no longer be sold by one major chain. Petco announced Tuesday that consumers won't find human- and bark-activated "shock" collars—devices that administer electronic pulses of varying intensity and duration to help train animals...
'World's Loneliest Elephant'
Is Given a New Life
Sep 5, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
'World's Loneliest Elephant' Is Given a New Life
Kaavan has attracted the attention of celebrities and animal activists
- An elephant who has become a cause celebre for animal rights activists around the world will be allowed to leave his Pakistani zoo and transferred to better conditions, the animal welfare group helping with the case said Saturday. Dubbed the 'world's loneliest elephant' by his supporters, Kaavan has...
Big Pharma Has
Bad News for Crabs
May 31, 2020 3:20 PM CDT
Big Pharma Has Bad News for Crabs
Looks like a synthetic substitute to crab blood won't be officially adopted after all
- Big Pharma is out for blood—horseshoe crabs' blood, that is—and that's not about to change. An effort to promote a synthetic substitute to crab blood in medical safety tests fell short Friday when a powerful US group refused to fully back the switch, Reuters reports. The group,...
Judge Gives 'Joe Exotic'
Exactly What He Wants
Apr 18, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Judge Gives 'Joe Exotic' Exactly What He Wants
Joseph Maldonado-Passage says he needs more time to argue for his lawsuit
- A former Oklahoma zookeeper who was sentenced to 22 years in prison for a murder-for-hire plot and federal wildlife violations has been granted an extra month to argue why his lawsuit challenging the convictions shouldn't be dismissed, the AP reports. Joseph Maldonado-Passage, also known as "Joe Exotic,"...
'Shocking' Find Made
at Government Labs
Feb 8, 2020 12:00 PM CST
'Shocking' Find Made at Government Labs
PETA demands an audit at all National Institutes of Health laboratories
- Mice cooked to death. Primates holed up in a room with 24-hour-a-day lights. An owl, denied veterinary care, that dies in a cage. These are among the 31 incidents uncovered through a freedom-of-information request about animal-welfare failures in government labs in 2018 and 2019—labs where official inspections are never...
Fox Accused of Scuttling
Super Bowl Commercial
Jan 31, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Fox Accused of Scuttling Super Bowl Commercial
PETA had it made as a call against 'speciesism'
- PETA says its Colin Kaepernick-themed ad for the Super Bowl is getting a frosty reception over at Fox and might not air at all, TMZ reports. The animal rights group's ad calls for an end to speciesism—in their words, to "challenge people to expand their concept of...
In Small NC
Dec 31, 2019 7:33 AM CST
In Small NC Town, No More NYE Possum Drop
Town of Andrews finally gives up controversial practice after years of backlash
- A longtime New Year's Eve tradition in North Carolina appears to have finally come to a close. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that, after years of protests by animal rights activists, the town of Andrews won't carry out its holiday "Possum Drop," in which a live...
Swift Cancels Concert After
Sep 21, 2019 9:33 AM CDT
Swift Cancels Concert After #NupToTheCup Campaign
The singer was pressured by an animal-rights group
- Looks like Taylor Swift won't be performing in Australia this year after all. The "Shake It Off" singer canceled a planned Nov. 5 show at Australia's Melbourne Cup after facing pressure from animal rights activists, CNN reports. Swift was initially gung-ho about her only Aussie show, saying...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.