Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ineffective Snowplows Leave
Mountain Residents Stranded
Mar 4, 2023 5:20 PM CST
Ineffective Snowplows Leave Mountain Residents Stranded
California officials concede storms overwhelmed them
- With residents stranded by snowstorms for more than a week pleading for help and trying to dig themselves out—while dealing with gas leaks and running out of food—officials in San Bernardino County conceded they weren't prepared for this. Neither were residents. "We're just all so...
Defy Easy Solutions
Jan 16, 2023 6:15 PM CST
California Landslides Defy Easy Solutions
Residents, agencies have tried to learn from Montecito devastation in 2018
- Relentless storms from a series of atmospheric rivers have saturated the steep mountains and bald hillsides scarred from wildfires along much of California's long coastline, causing hundreds of landslides this month. So far, the debris has mostly blocked roads and has not harmed communities, as in 2018 when mudslides...
Californians Are Asked to Be
Careful During More Storms
Jan 14, 2023 5:30 PM CST
Californians Are Asked to Be Careful During More Storms
26M already are under a flood watch
- California—which already has almost 26 million residents under a flood watch, the National Weather Service says—endured still more storms on Saturday. Forecasts call for another 6 inches of rain through Sunday in much of the state, an amount not so worrisome if the ground weren't already saturated,...
Sinkhole Swallows Cars
in LA County
Jan 11, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Sinkhole Swallows Cars in LA County
Mother, daughter rescued in Chatsworth during California storms
- Amid California's wild weather , a sinkhole opened up during one of the downpours in Los Angeles County, swallowing two cars. The sinkhole opened up around 7:30pm Monday in Chatsworth, and by the time firefighters arrived, it was already 15 feet deep, with heavy rainfall causing it to grow...
California's Volatile Weather
Isn't Over Yet
Jan 9, 2023 10:45 AM CST
California's Volatile Weather Isn't Over Yet
Governor warns deadly rain and winds may be worse this week
- Californians steeled Monday for the latest of a series of powerful storms that have shuttered schools, toppled trees, flooded roads, and left tens of thousands without power. The National Weather Service warned of a "relentless parade of atmospheric rivers"—storms that are long plumes of moisture stretching out...
Inflict More Damage
Jan 8, 2023 4:40 PM CST
California Storms Inflict More Damage
Thousands lose power ahead of another wave of rain, snow, high winds
- California endured more turbulent weather Sunday as thunderstorms, snow, and damaging winds swept into the northern part of the state, preceding another series of incoming storms and raising the potential for road flooding, rising rivers, and mudslides on soils already saturated after days of rain. The National Weather Service warned...
California Declares Emergency
as 'Truly Brutal' Storm Arrives
Jan 4, 2023 7:10 PM CST
California Declares Emergency as 'Truly Brutal' Storm Arrives
Governor already declares an emergency while forecasters warn of dangers
- With an atmospheric river delivering a third major storm to California in less than two weeks, the National Weather Service is warning residents to prepare, and the governor already has declared a state of emergency. "We anticipate this may be the most challenging and impactful series of storms to...
An End to California's 5-Year
Drought? It's on Mother Nature
Jan 12, 2017 10:43 AM CST
An End to California's 5-Year Drought? It's on Mother Nature
If storms keep raining precipitation down, Cali could be sitting pretty
- Sorry, Lena Horne, but stormy weather may be just what California's been looking for. The Golden State has been getting bombarded with precipitation—rain, snow, hail, sleet—making even Los Angeles feel "more like London than Southern California," the
Los Angeles Times
notes. But for a parched...
LA Residents Evacuated
as New Storm Bears Down
Jan 20, 2010 3:00 AM CST
LA Residents Evacuated as New Storm Bears Down
Another pummeling for southern California
- Evacuations have been ordered in mudslide-prone Los Angeles neighborhoods as the third storm in as many days bears down on the city. Heavy storms early this week resulted in flooding and a tornado warning. Police officers have been going door-to-door in vulnerable neighborhoods telling hundreds of residents to be out...
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.