Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Shatner: Prince William
Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
Oct 15, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
Shatner: Prince William Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
He says Blue Origin voyages are 'baby steps' toward greater things after prince's criticism
: William Shatner says Prince William is a "lovely, gentle, educated man"—but he's got the "wrong idea" about space tourism. After the prince said the world's greatest minds should focus on fixing problems on Earth, Shatner told
that trips like his Wednesday...
FAA Is Investigating
Branson's Space Flight
Sep 2, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
FAA Is Investigating Branson's Space Flight
Trip veered off course, but Virgin Galactic insists there was no danger
- Richard Branson famously became the first billionaire to rocket into space, just ahead of Jeff Bezos, but it seems that Branson's flight was a little rockier than first thought. Now the FAA is taking a closer look at what transpired on the Virgin Galactic trip, reports the
Richard Branson Got to Space.
Now Comes the Hard Part
Jul 12, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Richard Branson Got to Space. Now Comes the Hard Part
Entrepreneur has to show space tourism is a viable business
- Richard Branson blasted off into space on Sunday and returned safe and sound, but the
Wall Street Journal
reports that perhaps a bigger challenge for Branson's Virgin Galactic company still lies ahead: Can it make space tourism a viable business? Jeff Bezos, of course, hopes to do the same...
3am Visitor Before
Jul 12, 2021 1:25 AM CDT
Richard Branson's 3am Visitor Before Space Flight: Elon Musk
Tesla founder stopped by Branson's kitchen
- Richard Branson got a visit from another billionaire in the wee hours of Sunday, just before his historic trip to space: Elon Musk. The Virgin Group founder tweeted a photo of himself with the (barefoot) Tesla founder two hours before the flight launched,
reports. Branson later explained at...
Branson Earns His Wings,
Returns After Reaching Space
Jul 11, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
Branson Earns His Wings, Returns After Reaching Space
70-year-old tops Jeff Bezos in race between billionaires
- Swashbuckling entrepreneur Richard Branson hurtled into space aboard his own winged rocket ship Sunday in his boldest adventure yet, beating out fellow billionaire Jeff Bezos. The nearly 71-year-old Branson and five crewmates from his Virgin Galactic space tourism company reached an altitude of about 53 miles over the New Mexico...
Branson Invites Colbert to
Host Launch Livestream
Jul 9, 2021 8:02 AM CDT
Branson Invites Colbert to Host Launch Livestream
Billionaire will blast off Sunday morning
- Richard Branson is going to space on Sunday— nine days before rival billionaire Jeff Bezos—and he's now lined up a celebrity host for the livestream. Branson invited Stephen Colbert to host the Sunday morning event after the late-night host joked on Twitter about not being invited on the...
Another Billionaire Will Get
to Space 9 Days Before Bezos
Jul 2, 2021 6:34 AM CDT
Another Billionaire Will Get to Space 9 Days Before Bezos
Richard Branson will be on July 11 flight
- Jeff Bezos is going on what he calls his " greatest adventure " on July 20—but the Amazon founder won't be able to claim the title of "first billionaire to go to space in his own spacecraft." Virgin Galactic founder Richard Branson announced Thursday that he...
Virgin Galactic Stock Jumps
28% After Landmark Flight
May 24, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Virgin Galactic Stock Jumps 28% After Landmark Flight
Major indexes rose, with tech stocks leading the way
- Stocks closed broadly higher on Wall Street as investors regained an appetite for risk following two straight weeks of losses. The S&P 500 rose 1% Monday, with technology stocks leading the gains. Microsoft and Google’s parent company both rose more than 2%, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq rose 1....
Take a Peek Inside
Virgin Galactic's Space Plane
Jul 29, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Take a Peek Inside Virgin Galactic's Space Plane
It includes plenty of windows and cameras to capture the $250K experience
- Virgin Galactic has offered a look inside its tourist space plane for those of us who can't afford the $250,000 ticket. The six-passenger SpaceShipTwo, a collaboration with London design agency Seymourpowell, is designed entirely around "the view of Earth from space," explains chief space officer George...
Very Expensive Balloon Ride
Promises Quite a View
Jun 25, 2020 2:49 PM CDT
Very Expensive Balloon Ride Promises Quite a View
Company plans $125K rides into the stratosphere
- Still pricey, but this might be the cheapest option for space tourists yet. The company Space Perspective plans to fly people up to the Earth's stratosphere in a giant balloon with a pressurized cabin, reports Space.com . The cost? $125,000 a seat. The trip would take about six...
'Spaceport America' Unveiled
Aug 16, 2019 12:21 AM CDT
'Spaceport America' Unveiled
Virgin Galactic plans to launch thousands of tourists from New Mexico facility
- Spaceport America is no longer just a shiny shell of hope that space tourism would one day launch from a remote spot in the New Mexico desert. The once-empty hangar that anchors the taxpayer-financed launch and landing facility has been transformed into a custom-tailored headquarters where Virgin Galactic will run...
Dec 13, 2018 11:53 AM CST
Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic Reaches Space
It's a big milestone for the commercial space industry
- Virgin Galactic has officially reached space. Sir Richard Branson's company launched a spacecraft more than 50 miles into the air Thursday, not reaching orbit but successfully meeting the Federal Aviation Administration's definition of space, the
reports. It was the first spacecraft with humans aboard to be...
Branson: I'll Be in
Space Within 'Months'
Oct 9, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Branson: I'll Be in Space Within 'Months'
Virgin founder announces imminent test flights
- Justin Bieber and others with a $250,000 reservation to board Virgin Galactic's tourist spaceship won't have too much longer to wait. Richard Branson tells CNBC that commercial space test flights will begin in "weeks, not months," forging a path for the Virgin founder to board...
Space Speculation: Who Are
the Mystery Moon Tourists?
Mar 1, 2017 8:03 AM CST
Space Speculation: Who Are the Mystery Moon Tourists?
SpaceX could make history by sending the first woman
- So who are the two space tourists who will be flown around the moon by SpaceX next year? The company isn't saying, but a post at the
points out an interesting stat: Of the 24 people who have flown to the moon so far (half of whom have...
Virgin Galactic Rolls Out
New Space Tourism Craft
Feb 20, 2016 8:13 AM CST
Virgin Galactic Rolls Out New Space Tourism Craft
A deadly accident destroyed its predecessor
- Virgin Galactic rolled out a new version of its SpaceShipTwo space tourism rocket Friday as it prepares to return to flight testing for the first time since a 2014 accident destroyed the original craft , killing a pilot and setting back the nascent industry. A Land Rover with Virgin Galactic founder...
52 Weeks of
Now Exists. Paid
Jun 10, 2015 4:53 PM CDT
52 Weeks of Parental Leave Now Exists. Paid
For a very select group of employees at one of Richard Branson's subsidiaries
- Richard Branson has come up with a parental leave policy that Michelle Duggar could have retired on probably sometime in the last century: 52 weeks of leave at 100% pay, reports TheStreet . "If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your business," says Branson...
Nov 12, 2014 12:18 PM CST
NTSB: Pilot Thrown From Exploding Spaceship
Peter Siebold didn't know co-pilot had activated feather braking system
- The surviving pilot of the Virgin Galactic spaceship that tore apart over the Mojave Desert was thrown clear of the disintegrating craft and did not know his co-pilot had prematurely unlocked the re-entry braking system, federal investigators said today. In its update on the still-evolving investigation, the National Transportation Safety...
Still Be on
Nov 4, 2014 6:22 AM CST
Branson: I'll Still Be on Virgin's First Spaceflight
Dangers involved are 'worth it'
- The crash of Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo on Friday has unsurprisingly failed to deter Richard Branson: He'll still be on his company's first flight to space, he tells CNN. "There is no way I would ask others to go on a Virgin Galactic flight if I didn'...
NTSB Eyes Pilot Error
in Spaceship Crash
Nov 3, 2014 2:39 AM CST
NTSB Eyes Pilot Error in Spaceship Crash
System to slow descent was deployed too early
- In its first investigation of a manned space launch , the National Transportation Safety Board says pilot error may have caused the deadly crash of SpaceShipTwo on Friday. The agency's acting chairman told reporters last night that a lever on the doomed spacecraft was moved to the unlock position sooner...
Virgin Galactic Spacecraft Was Testing New Fuel
Nov 1, 2014 2:55 PM CDT
Virgin Galactic Spacecraft Was Testing New Fuel
NTSB begins investigation as Richard Branson arrives in Mojave
- The National Transportation Safety Board has taken the lead in trying to figure out what doomed Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo yesterday , and the
Los Angeles Times
notes that it's a milestone of sorts in the new world of commercial space travel. This marks the first time the NTSB has...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
Ukraine Ends Battle Over Mariupol Plant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.