Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Hector' Just Sold
for Really Big Bucks
May 14, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Remains of 'Hector' Just Sold for Really Big Bucks
Skeleton of dino that inspired velociraptors in 'Jurassic Park' was bought for $12.4M at auction
- "Hector" has been sold. The skeleton of the
dinosaur species, said to be the inspiration for the velociraptors in 1993's
, was auctioned off by Christie's on Thursday to an undisclosed buyer for $12.4 million, more than double the price the auction house...
Fossils More Than
200M Years Old
Stolen From Utah Park
May 11, 2022 12:31 PM CDT
Fossils More Than 200M Years Old Stolen From Utah Park
NPS offers $1K reward after Capitol Reef National Park theft
- Fossils of reptile tracks in Capitol Reef National Park have been dated to the Triassic period more than 200 million years ago—and their theft has been dated to some time between August 2017 and August 2018. The National Park Service, which describes the fossils as "irreplaceable paleontological resources,...
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died
on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Apr 7, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Leg was among many finds at North Dakota site that preserved the 'death blow'
- The asteroid that hit the Earth around 66 million years ago brought an abrupt end to the Cretaceous period—and to the life of a
dinosaur whose incredibly well-preserved leg was found at a North Dakota site. Researchers say they can pinpoint the day of the dinosaur's death...
World's Most Expensive Fossil
Mar 24, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
World's Most Expensive Fossil Vanished.
Stan the T. rex has been hiding in UAE, getting ready to be displayed in Abu Dhabi museum
- When one of the largest and most complete
fossils ever found sold at a Christie's auction for $31.8 million in October 2020, experts worried the 39-foot-long specimen would be lost to the public, and to research. That prompted
to go looking for Stan, as...
Biggest Triceratops Fossil Sells
for Far More Than Expected
Oct 22, 2021 5:53 AM CDT
Biggest Triceratops Fossil Sells for Far More Than Expected
: The biggest triceratops skeleton ever found has sold for more than four times the expected price—and as paleontologists feared, the buyer wasn't a museum. The Drouot auction house says the fossil, known as "Big John," was bought for $7.7 million by a private collector...
Fossil Could Be Oldest
Known Animal by 350M Years
Jul 28, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
Fossil Could Be Oldest Known Animal by 350M Years
Possible remains of ancient sponge found in Canada's far north
- Fossils discovered in the far north of Canada could push back the proven timeline of animals on Earth back by around 350 million years—a period of time longer than that between the first dinosaurs and the present day. Geologist Elizabeth Turner says the tiny fossils found in the Northwest...
Meet Dragon Man, Our
Newly Discovered Relative
Jun 25, 2021 2:11 PM CDT
Meet Dragon Man, Our Newly Discovered Relative
Scientists say he belongs to a newly discovered species closely related to modern humans
- He was a big guy, somewhere around 50 years old when he died, and his discovery might just change the narrative on how modern humans came to be. Introducing Dragon Man, so nicknamed for China's Dragon River region where his well-preserved skull was found, reports CNN . Researchers say he...
Paleontologists Gain Insight
Into a Dinosaur's Butt
Jan 21, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Paleontologists Gain Insight Into a Dinosaur's Butt
They're able to re-create in 3D a cloacal opening
- It's a first for paleontology, and one that might produce a giggle. For the first time, scientists have been able to describe in fine detail a dinosaur's cloaca. If you're not familiar with that body part, CNET translates: It's essentially "a jack-of-all-trades butthole." The...
Scientists: 'Smallest Dinosaur'
Wasn't Really a Dinosaur
Aug 3, 2020 3:29 PM CDT
Scientists: 'Smallest Dinosaur' Wasn't Really a Dinosaur
They now believe Oculudentavis was a lizard
was a strange and fascinating creature, scientists say—but it probably wasn't a dinosaur. Researchers who identified the hummingbird-sized animal as the smallest known dinosaur in a study published earlier this year have retracted their claim following new research and the discovery of another
Court: Fossils Worth Millions
Belong to Montana Family
Jun 24, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
Court: Fossils Worth Millions Belong to Montana Family
Mary Ann and Lige Murray own surface rights to land where 'dueling dinosaurs' found
- Dinosaur fossils worth millions of dollars unearthed on a Montana ranch belong to the owners of the land’s surface rights, not the owners of the mineral rights, a US appeals court ruled. The June 17 ruling by the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a 2016 decision by...
Dinosaur's Last Meal
Preserved Down to the Cells
Jun 3, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Dinosaur's Last Meal Preserved Down to the Cells
Researchers 'could see the different layers of cells in a leaf fragment'
- Scientists say they've uncovered the "best-preserved dinosaur stomach ever found to date," offering an unprecedented look at a 110-million-year-old chewed salad. It's extremely rare to find a preserved dinosaur stomach, and even rarer to find one with much evidence of diet. But the soccer-ball-size stomach of...
A Supercontinent Split.
The Frogs Ended Up Here
May 6, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
A Supercontinent Split. The Frogs Ended Up Here
Fossils in Antarctica are evidence of the breakup of Gondwana
- "Frogs, nowadays, are known on all six other continents. Now we know they were also present on the seventh." That's according to Swedish scientist Thomas Mors, whose discovery of 40-million-year-old ancient horned frog fossils in Antarctica suggests frogs were transported around the globe by the breakup of...
Aug 28, 2019 5:35 PM CDT
Face of Lucy's Ancestor Revealed
Ethiopian fossil reveals face for the species A. anamensis
- A fossil from Ethiopia is letting scientists look millions of years into our evolutionary history—and they see a face peering back. The find, from 3.8 million years ago, reveals the face of a presumed ancestor of the species famously represented by Lucy, the celebrated Ethiopian partial skeleton found...
Experts Roaring Over
Rare T. Rex on eBay
Apr 17, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Experts Roaring Over Rare T. Rex on eBay
Skeleton, likely of a juvenile, could be lost to science
- What is touted as the only known fossil of a juvenile T. Rex is up for grabs on eBay—which came as quite a shock to the museum showcasing it. The 68 million-year-old skeleton found on private land in Montana in 2013 was on loan to the University of Kansas...
Good News After Devastating
Brazil Museum Fire
Oct 22, 2018 1:16 PM CDT
Good News After Devastating Brazil Museum Fire
80% of famed 'Luzia' skull has been recovered
- A bit of good news after the catastrophic fire that ravaged Brazil's National Museum last month: One of the museum's most prized possessions has been mostly recovered. Museum director Alexander Kellner tells the AP that "Luzia," the oldest human fossil ever found in Latin America, was...
Fat From This Fossil
Solved Decades-Old Mystery
Sep 21, 2018 8:56 AM CDT
Fat From This Fossil Solved Decades-Old Mystery
Study says Dickinsonia is earliest confirmed animal in geological record
- A researcher calls it "a decades-old mystery that has been the Holy Grail of paleontology": What, exactly,
was. It's one of a group of lifeforms called the Ediacaran biota, which the BBC describes as the "first complex multi-cellular organisms to appear on Earth." But for...
Bored by Soccer Game, Girl
Digs in Dirt, Makes Wild Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 25, 2018 7:43 AM CDT
Bored by Soccer Game, Girl Digs in Dirt, Makes Wild Find
7-year-old 'delighted' with ammonite fossil found in Oregon
- At 7 years old, Naomi Vaughan probably has a hard time wrapping her head around a 65 million-year span. But that's the minimum amount of time elapsed between the death of a tiny sea creature and when Naomi picked up its remains. Bored with her sister's soccer game...
Reveals 'Holy Grail'
of Dino Discoveries
Jan 30, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Sahara Desert Reveals 'Holy Grail' of Dino Discoveries
African dinosaur suggests link to Europe in late Cretaceous Period
- Researcher Matt Lamanna calls it "the Holy Grail" of dinosaur discoveries. After decades of digging had left a 44-million-year gap in the fossil record for dinos in Africa, Lamanna says his jaw "hit the floor" when he saw photos of skull fragments, a lower jaw, neck and back...
Found in China: Dino
With a 'Rainbow Glimmer'
Jan 15, 2018 9:01 AM CST
Found in China: Dino With a 'Rainbow Glimmer'
Jurassic Period's 'Caihong juji' had shimmering feathers like those found on hummingbirds
- Scientists are now saying there may have been "a more colorful Jurassic World than we previously imagined," thanks to the recent discovery of a fossil in China's Hebei province. Reuters reports that a closer look at the "exquisitely preserved," almost completely intact fossil of a...
Rarest of Rare
Dec 7, 2017 10:15 AM CST
Rarest of Rare Discoveries: a Swimming Dinosaur
It's believed to be only the 2nd swimming dinosaur ever found
- The dinosaur was the size of a turkey and had a neck like a swan, teeth like a crocodile, forelimbs similar to a penguin's flippers, and clawed feet ideal for use on land. It's such a strange assortment of features that researchers who identified the new species from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.