Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wife's Sharp Nose Leads
to New Test for Parkinson's
Sep 8, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Wife's Sharp Nose Leads to New Test for Parkinson's
Joy Milne noticed her husband smelled different before his official diagnosis
- A relatively simple way to detect Parkinson's might be possible thanks to a Scottish woman's unusually sharp sense of smell. As the BBC reports, researchers at the UK's University of Manchester say their newly developed skin-swab test proved to be 95% accurate in a new study published...
Is Invading This City
Apr 29, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Awful-Smelling Foam Is Invading This City
Toxic foam from polluted river has become the bane of Mosquera, a suburb of Bogota, Colombia
- Playing in foam is usually fun—think bubble baths when you were a kid. But in the streets of one suburb of Bogota, Colombia, residents flee toxic clouds of the stuff wafting over from a nearby polluted river, bringing an unpleasant odor and suspected to be the cause of a...
Finally, Cause of City's
'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Dec 7, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Fire at California warehouse filled with beauty products led to plant die-off, which led to hydrogen sulfide in the air
- In early October, residents in Carson, Calif., started picking up on a noxious smell emanating from the Dominguez Channel, with dozens of complaints called in daily to the South Coast Air Quality Management District. Some even noted they were suffering from fatigue, headaches, and respiratory issues, reports the
France to City
Folk: Deal With
Sounds of the
Jan 23, 2021 8:30 AM CST
France to City Folk: Deal With Sounds of the Countryside
Senate passes law to protect rural areas' 'sensory heritage'
- In an attempt to stop rural French neighbors from being at each other's throats, France has just passed a law to protect the nation's "sensory heritage." What that means, in essence, per CNN : Weekenders visiting from more urban areas won't be able to stifle most...
New Research Takes
'Odious' View of History
Nov 18, 2020 6:25 PM CST
New Research Takes 'Odious' View of History
The Odeuropa project gives European history a good whiff
- Ever said, "Oh, that smells nasty?" Then you were part of history. Case in point: A team of scientists and historians is embarking on a plan to catalogue the smells of Europe over time and see what they say about society, the
New York Times
reports. The new $3....
That Wasn't Just
a New-Car Smell
Nov 17, 2020 1:51 PM CST
That Wasn't Just a New-Car Smell
Hyundai says it's solved the mystery odor in some Palisades and will take care of it
- When drivers opened the door to their new Hyundai Palisade, they often were hit with more than that new-car smell, or even pride of ownership. Some people described the odor as much like dirty socks, or body odor, or onions, or cabbage, or just simply "really bad." It...
COVID-19 Smell Loss Study
Supports an Infection Theory
Aug 19, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
COVID-19 Smell Loss Study Supports an Infection Theory
The theory being that the coronavirus infects the brain and central nervous system
- A small study out of Europe is the first to look at how smell loss associated with COVID-19 differs from that caused by a severe cold or the flu—and the findings bolster the theory that the coronavirus infects the brain and central nervous system, per a press release . A...
This Early Virus Sign Now
Has Science Backing It Up
Apr 15, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
This Early Virus Sign Now Has Science Backing It Up
Loss of taste, smell were documented anecdotally for COVID-19, but now there's research
- Because up to half of COVID-19 patients may be asymptomatic or show very mild symptoms, it's important to be able to identify early, subtle signs of the disease. A new study published in the
International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology
journal lends support to what's till now been...
The Smell in This Canadian
Town Is Just Unbearable
Feb 13, 2019 6:45 AM CST
The Smell in This Canadian Town Is Just Unbearable
Fish sauce factory stopped operating in 2001, but the liquid is still causing problems
- The residents of a small Canadian town say they've been plagued by a wretched smell for more than a decade. The CBC digs into the plight of St. Mary's in Newfoundland. It's home to 400 residents and the shuttered Atlantic Seafood Sauce Co. plant, which opened in...
Cops: Boy May Have Died
After Breathing In Fish Smell
Jan 2, 2019 11:48 AM CST
Cops: Boy May Have Died After Breathing In Fish Smell
11-year-old from Brooklyn seems to have suffered allergic reaction as family cooked New Year's meal
- Authorities are trying to figure out what caused the death of a Brooklyn boy, and it may be tied to a rare allergic reaction. The
New York Post
New York Daily News
report that the 11-year-old, named Camron Jean-Pierre or Camron Jean-Paul, got sick Tuesday evening while at home...
Passengers, Plane Crew Nearly
Brawl Over Stinky Fruit
Nov 7, 2018 8:00 AM CST
Passengers, Plane Crew Nearly Brawl Over Stinky Fruit
Sriwijaya Air flight in Indonesia temporarily grounded thanks to durian in cargo hold
- The durian is known for being one of the grossest-smelling fruits in the world—think "turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock," as one food writer has described it, per
. The late Anthony Bourdain once said after eating it, "Your breath will smell as if...
Tiger, India Has
an Odd Idea
in case you missed it
Oct 13, 2018 1:00 PM CDT
Plagued by a Man-Eating Tiger, India Has an Odd Idea
Calvin Klein's Obsession cologne may do the trick
- Vets with tranquilizer darts, drones, and even a powerful breed of hunting dogs haven't been able to track down and take out a dangerous tiger in India suspected of killing 13. So now, forest rangers near Pandharkawada are turning to a bottle of something they hope will make the...
His Odor Grounded a Plane.
A Month Later, He Died
Jun 28, 2018 8:51 AM CDT
His Odor Grounded a Plane. A Month Later, He Died
It turns out Andrey Suchilin was suffering from necrosis, which was causing the smell
- A story that began embarrassingly has ended tragically.
reports on the death of 58-year-old Andrey Suchilin, a Russian guitarist who spurred an emergency landing of a Transavia Airlines plane in Portugal. Per
via WJW , Suchilin's odor during the May 29 flight from Spain to the Netherlands...
Hunter's 'Stupid Mistake'
Leads to Grisly Scene
Dec 21, 2017 12:07 PM CST
Hunter's 'Stupid Mistake' Leads to Grisly Scene
And a malodorous one in Argyle, NY
- The source of a stench that bedeviled the residents of Argyle, NY, this fall has been identified, and it's a grisly one. The
reports hundreds of pounds of rotting moose meat—including the animal's head—were the culprit. After tracing the smell to its source, the state...
One Whiff of Blood Molecule
Separates Hunters, Hunted
Oct 23, 2017 2:55 PM CDT
One Whiff of Blood Molecule Separates Hunters, Hunted
Scent of E2D triggers widely different reactions in animals, including humans
- Scientists have zeroed in on a molecule in blood whose very scent triggers alarm in humans but also beckons predators. In fact, one whiff of the E2D molecule causes animals of all kinds to act in "diametrically opposite" ways, suggesting that it's been around for eons and responses...
City Tells Man to Get Rid of
His Seriously Smelly Driveway
Jun 15, 2017 4:54 PM CDT
City Tells Man to Get Rid of His Seriously Smelly Driveway
Man used unwashed shells to pave driveway, then came flies and maggots
- A Rhode Island town's long, smelly nightmare is finally over. Two weeks ago, a Tiverton resident used unwashed clam shells to pave an access road on his property, the AP reports. The shells still had bits of clam meat stuck to them, eventually drawing flies and maggots while creating...
Neighbor's Choice of Road
Material Brings Stink, Maggots
Jun 8, 2017 6:05 PM CDT
Neighbor's Choice of Road Material Brings Stink, Maggots
And Rhode Island residents aren't happy about it
- Crushed seashells are one of the best surfaces for making paths and driveways on your property, according to this helpful landscaping website . But some Rhode Islanders are learning the hard way it's ideal if the shells are cleaned first. Residents in Tiverton say a neighbor recently dumped thousands of...
Sniff Myth, Busted: Humans
Can Smell as Well as Dogs
May 12, 2017 12:27 PM CDT
Sniff Myth, Busted: Humans Can Smell as Well as Dogs
Analysis of more than 1K olfactory studies challenges longtime belief
- A dog's nose may be wetter than yours, but don't count yourself out when it comes to tracking a scent just as well as your canine companion. A new mega-study in the journal
refutes the longtime belief that dogs' noses are vastly superior to our own, reporting...
What TV Surgeries Often
Fail to Convey: It Stinks
May 8, 2016 12:10 PM CDT
What TV Surgeries Often Fail to Convey: It Stinks
Surgeons say there are some smells that permeate everything
- Surgical rooms might look like the most sterile of places on TV or in the movies, but a post at Atlas Obscura reveals a gross truth: Surgery can smell, and terribly so. The daughter of one surgeon writes that as a child she was allowed to attend a surgery but...
Dec 12, 2015 10:30 AM CST
Guy Invents the 'World's Worst Smell'
It smells like 'butt crack…with a hint of dead animal'
- Imagine the worst smell you can think of. Now imagine the scent of "butt crack…with a hint of dead animal." That's how Allen Wittman, 45, describes his creation, Liquid ASS —a smelly spray initially intended to be used in pranks. "We package Liquid ASS...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.