Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Virgin Atlantic's Uniform Update
Lets Crew Show 'True Identity'
Sep 28, 2022 11:24 AM CDT
Virgin Atlantic's Uniform Update Lets Crew Show 'True Identity'
Virgin Atlantic introduces gender-neutral skirts/trousers
- Airlines are known for their often-rigid rules around the uniforms their crew members wear, often leading to complaints that the garb is impractical, uncomfortable, and outdated. Virgin Atlantic is now attempting to remedy the "outdated" part by releasing a new policy that gets rid of "gendered uniform" requirements...
Aug 19, 2022 2:13 PM CDT
Plane Misses Destination as Pilots Sleep
Ethiopian Airlines jet landed safely later
- Airline pilots have warned about exhaustion among flight crews increasingly becoming a problem. A missed landing this week might be an example. Two pilots on an Ethiopian Airlines flight from Khartoum to Addis Ababa apparently fell asleep at the switch and didn't wake up until their Boeing 737-800 had...
Pulls Out of 3 Cities
Jun 20, 2022 4:36 PM CDT
American Airlines Pulls Out of 3 Cities
American blames shortage of regional pilots
- Saying it's running short of pilots, American Airlines has dropped regional service to three cities. Flights at airports in Toledo, Ohio; Ithaca, New York; and Islip, New York, will end Sept. 7, the Hill reports. A spokesperson said the airline will contact travelers who have a ticket for a...
Pilots Are Returning to Work,
and Some Are Making Mistakes
Oct 15, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Pilots Are Returning to Work, and Some Are Making Mistakes
Many have barely flown for 18 months
- If you haven't flown for a long time because of the pandemic, you're far from alone—tens of thousands of pilots worldwide have barely flown in the last 18 months, and rusty pilots tend to make mistakes. Bloomberg reports that dozens of incidents involving out-of-practice pilots have been...
As Bookings Rebound,
Airline to Hire 300 Pilots
Apr 1, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
As Bookings Rebound, Airline to Hire 300 Pilots
Business still is down from 2019, but bookings are climbing
- United Airlines said Thursday it plans to hire about 300 pilots, another sign that airlines feel more confident that a recent increase in travel will continue. The airline plans to start by hiring pilots who received conditional job offers or had a class for new hires canceled last year, the...
Pilots Sidestep 3,800 Layoffs
Sep 28, 2020 6:50 PM CDT
Pilots Sidestep 3,800 Layoffs
Federal pandemic aid expires Thursday
- Pilots at United Airlines voted to approve an agreement that will avoid about 2,850 furloughs that were to take effect this week and another 1,000 early next year. Airline officials said Monday that the agreement will reduce involuntary job cuts to fewer than 12,000 if Congress fails...
City of Denver to Pony Up for
Wrongfully Arrested Nude Pilot
Nov 13, 2019 7:34 AM CST
City of Denver to Pony Up for Wrongfully Arrested Nude Pilot
Andrew Collins may still sue airport hotel after indecent exposure charges were dropped
- Andrew Collins has long insisted he did nothing wrong by standing naked at his hotel window overlooking Denver International Airport—and now, his lawyer says, it's payback time for the trouble he's endured since. NBC News reports the city of Denver has settled with Collins and will pay...
Someone Else Is at Fault
in Boeing 737 Crashes
Sep 21, 2019 12:40 PM CDT
Someone Else Is at Fault in Boeing 737 Crashes
Inexperienced pilots are also to blame, says the New York Times
- Boeing isn't the only one to blame. So concludes an impressively detailed
New York Times
article about two fatal Boeing 737 Max crashes since last year—which, it turns out, were caused at least partly by pilot error. "Look, we know as a fact that half of airline...
Two Pilots Are Detained
After Failing Breath Tests
Aug 4, 2019 11:17 AM CDT
Two Pilots Are Detained After Failing Breath Tests
Police take men into custody in Glasgow
- Two pilots about to take a United Airlines flight from Glasgow to Newark failed their breath tests this weekend. The men were taken into custody and are due in court in Scotland on Tuesday, the BBC reports. "These pilots were immediately removed from service," United said. The statement...
Aviation Unions on Shutdown:
We Can't Calculate the Risk
Jan 24, 2019 6:22 AM CST
Aviation Unions on Shutdown: We Can't Calculate the Risk
Reps for air traffic controllers, pilots, flight attendants say air safety system 'deteriorating'
- Is it still safe to fly during the government shutdown? That's a question with a potentially uncomfortable answer, at least according to the unions representing more than 130,000 pilots, flight attendants, and air traffic controllers, per the
New York Times
. In a statement , the presidents of the three...
'I Thought We Were Goners'
Apr 19, 2018 7:04 AM CDT
'I Thought We Were Goners'
Passenger describe terror on Flight 1380
- Passengers say they went through 22 minutes of terror after an engine blew on a Southwest Airlines 737-700 Tuesday, forcing it to make an emergency landing in Philadelphia. Some say they prayed and tried to comfort those around them as the oxygen masks fell amid a steep descent. Other say...
Alaska Airlines Pilot Says
She Was Raped by Captain
Mar 15, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Alaska Airlines Pilot Says She Was Raped by Captain
He remains at work, Betty Pina alleges in lawsuit against airline
- Last June, an Alaska Airlines pilot reported that her captain drugged and raped her during a layover in Minneapolis. Nine months later, he's still in the job, according to her lawsuit against the airline. It describes how Betty Pina, 39, and Paul Engelien, 50, arrived in the concierge room...
2 Pilots Fired for
Jan 11, 2018 2:08 AM CST
2 Pilots Fired for Bizarre Fight in Cockpit
Male pilot allegedly slapped female co-pilot
- An Indian airline says it has fired two pilots who reportedly fought in the cockpit, with the man allegedly slapping the woman during the New Year's Day flight from London to Mumbai. Jet Airways said in a statement that it "has terminated services of both the cockpit crew...
Passengers Cheer for Pilot's
Very Special Preflight Speech
Jan 1, 2018 2:00 PM CST
Passengers Cheer for Pilot's Very Special Preflight Speech
Jon Emerson proposed to his flight attendant girlfriend right before takeoff
- Call it the tamer (and more romantic) version of the Mile High Club, before the plane even left the ground. The Independent reports on an airline pilot who decided to surprise his flight attendant girlfriend, who works with him, two days before Christmas. As Jon Emerson, 24, gave passengers weather,...
Dutch King Secretly Kept
Pilot Job for 21 Years
May 18, 2017 2:51 AM CDT
Dutch King Secretly Kept Pilot Job for 21 Years
He flew incognito for KLM
- Dutch passengers on KLM flights might have recognized the co-pilot's voice when he introduced himself on the airline's Cityhopper services. It was not just their co-pilot telling them weather conditions and estimated time of arrival. It was their king. King Willem-Alexander told national daily
Spirit Cancels Multiple Flights,
Melee Breaks Out
May 9, 2017 9:41 AM CDT
Spirit Cancels Multiple Flights, Melee Breaks Out
Police called to the scene at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood airport
- Spirit Airlines customers were not happy when as many as nine flights were canceled Monday night at Florida's Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport—in fact, they were so unhappy, police had to be called in. Video posted by onlookers and witness reports detail a massively chaotic scene, complete with yelling...
In Video, Delta Pilot
Hits Woman in Fight
Apr 30, 2017 8:37 AM CDT
In Video, Delta Pilot Hits Woman in Fight
Airline standing by him, says he 'deescalated altercation'
- A lot of people, it seems, are having a hard time behaving themselves around airplanes: The latest example involves Delta Air Lines, reports TMZ , and an April 21 video in which two female passengers are fighting after getting off a flight in Atlanta. A pilot enters the fray, grabs one...
Less Than 30 Minutes
Before Departure, the
Pilot Was Arrested
Oct 27, 2016 2:04 AM CDT
Less Than 30 Minutes Before Departure, the Pilot Was Arrested
Cops say pilot showed up drunk for Delta flight
- The pilot of a Delta flight from a South Dakota airport was arrested less than 30 minutes before departure time Wednesday morning when a TSA agent told police he smelled like booze. Russel Duszak, 38, was found to have a blood alcohol content of more than 0.04 and was...
Feds: Alaska Airlines
Pilot Flew Drunk—Twice
Jan 22, 2016 3:59 AM CST
Feds: Alaska Airlines Pilot Flew Drunk—Twice
Blood alcohol readings were way over the limit
- An Alaska Airlines pilot was too drunk to drive, let alone fly, when he piloted two flights on June 20, 2014, according to federal prosecutors. David Hans Arntson—who was immediately removed from "safety sensitive duties" after flunking a breath test and later retired from the airline—was arrested...
Was 7 Times
Over Legal Limit
Aug 19, 2015 3:33 AM CDT
Drunk Co-Pilot Was 7 Times Over Legal Limit
And the pilot wasn't exactly sober
- Too drunk to fly, and possibly too drunk to walk: A co-pilot who went on a drinking binge with three other airBaltic crew members hours before a flight was found to have a blood alcohol level around seven times the legal limit, the BBC reports. The 38-year-old told a court...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.