Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pulls 23 Articles
Jun 16, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Pulls 23 Articles
Newspaper takes coverage off its website after review of sourcing
- After conducting an audit of a reporter's work,
has pulled 23 articles from its website that included fabricated information. An outside complaint prompted the investigation of Gabriela Miranda's work, the
New York Times
reports. A post on the newspaper's home page says the newspaper's...
Obama: Nix the Filibuster,
Pass Voting Rights Legislation
Jan 13, 2022 7:26 AM CST
Obama: Nix the Filibuster, Pass Voting Rights Legislation
In first op-ed since leaving office, former president calls on Senate to 'do the right thing'
- President Biden recently called for altering Senate rules if necessary to remove the obstacle of the filibuster so that voting rights legislation can be passed. Now, a big voice is joining in that same chorus. In what
says is his first op-ed since leaving office in 2017, former...
FBI Seeks to Identify
Jun 4, 2021 4:58 AM CDT
FBI Seeks to Identify Readers of
Publisher is fighting unusual subpoena
- The publisher of
is fighting a very unusual subpoena from the FBI seeking information that could identify readers of a story about a shooting in Florida earlier this year. The subpoena served on Gannett in April orders the publisher to turn over Internet addresses and cellphone information for...
Oct 20, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Breaks With Tradition on 2020 Race
Newspaper makes its very first presidential endorsement, and it picks Joe Biden
does not endorse presidential candidates. Or least it didn't, until Tuesday. The newspaper broke with its own tradition and officially backed Joe Biden. "If this were a choice between two capable major party nominees who happened to have opposing ideas, we wouldn't choose sides,...
Op-Ed Now Has
Jul 17, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Navarro's Fauci Op-Ed Now Has Big Disclaimer
Fact-check by 'USA Today' after publication finds claims are 'misleading'
- On Tuesday, the editorial board of
published a piece praising Dr. Anthony Fauci, the White House task force's epidemiological ace, calling him a "national treasure" and warning we'd be foolish not to listen to him amid the pandemic. The paper then proceeded to publish an...
We'll Remember This
Mar 27, 2020 2:48 PM CDT
Dear Stingy Sports Owners, We'll Remember This
Nancy Amour for USA Today says those who don't pay workers shouldn't expect tax breaks
- Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is getting slammed for cutting salaries or laying off workers altogether during the coronavirus pandemic. Tilman Fertitta, who owns the Houston Rockets—as well as Landry's, the parent company over hundreds of restaurants, hotels, and casinos—is likewise drawing criticism after laying off 40,...
Wasserman Schultz: Count
Me Out of Women’s March
Jan 18, 2019 1:22 PM CST
Wasserman Schultz: Count Me Out of Women’s March
She's not happy with leadership's refusal to 'repudiate anti-Semitism,' hate speech
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz's first experience with the Women's March left her feeling "electrified." Now, two years later, she's ditching the group, specifically its leaders. The former DNC chair explains why in an opinion piece for
, saying she's become increasingly concerned about what...
Zinke Didn't Like an Op-Ed
on Him. Things Got Personal
Nov 30, 2018 1:43 PM CST
Zinke Didn't Like an Op-Ed on Him. Things Got Personal
Interior secretary accuses Rep. Raul Grijalva of alcohol abuse, using tax dollars as 'hush money'
- A scathing opinion piece on Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, penned by a Democrat on the House Natural Resources Committee and published Friday by
, has caught Zinke's attention—and he's offering some eyebrow-raising "thoughts" of his own online. The op-ed by Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva asked...
Acting AG Fired by Trump
Thinks 'Core Values' at Risk
Dec 19, 2017 1:05 PM CST
Acting AG Fired by Trump Thinks 'Core Values' at Risk
But a critic of Sally Yates' op-ed thinks she's being 'despicably hypocritical'
- Acting Attorney General Sally Yates was fired by President Trump just days after he took office for declaring that the Justice Department wouldn't defend a Trump executive order on immigration. She's now had almost 11 months to ponder the state of the US, and in an op-ed for...
May Have Written
Most Anti-Trump Editorial Yet
Dec 13, 2017 1:10 PM CST
May Have Written Most Anti-Trump Editorial Yet
'Not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama Presidential Library'
- Wow, tell us how you really feel
. The newspaper absolutely unloaded on President Trump in an editorial Wednesday that is drawing attention for its scathing language. For instance: "A president who would all but call Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a whore is not fit to clean the toilets...
Parents and Doctors, Hold Off
on This 'Devastating' Surgery
Aug 9, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
Parents and Doctors, Hold Off on This 'Devastating' Surgery
Don't operate on intersex kids until they're the age of consent and can fully participate
- When Kimberly Mascott Zieselman was 15, she had surgery she now says caused "irreversible harm" due to others' "discomfort with difference." In her op-ed for
, Zieselman explains how, as a young teen, she didn't get her period like other girls, and when her parents...
May 19, 2017 9:42 AM CDT
What Killed Roger Ailes, per O'Reilly: 'Hatred'
Former Fox News host pens tribute to his late boss
- To ex-Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, the late Roger Ailes was a "force of nature with an agenda," he writes in a tribute to his former boss in
. O'Reilly explains Ailes' ultimate goal—to "infuse America with traditional philosophy and see to it...
in First-Ever Endorsement
Sep 30, 2016 1:15 AM CDT
Slams Trump in First-Ever Endorsement
Paper urges people to vote for any other candidate
has never taken sides in a presidential election before—but Donald Trump has never run for president before. In a blistering editorial, which can be seen in full here , the paper's editorial board says it has decided to break with 34 years of tradition because Trump...
Stiffs His Workers
Jun 10, 2016 6:40 AM CDT
Lawsuits: Trump Stiffs His Workers
'USA Today' reviews 3,500 lawsuits involving Trump
- Donald Trump is a deadbeat boss who regards paying workers and contracting companies as optional, according to a
review of some of the 3,500 or so lawsuits from the last 30 years involving Trump. Scores of lawsuits and hundreds of liens came from waiters, bartenders, plumbers, real...
Won't Play Ball, So
Apr 25, 2016 8:40 AM CDT
Gannett: Tribune Won't Play Ball, So We're Revealing $815M Bid
'USA Today' owner is looking to acquire the Tribune Publishing Company
- On April 12,
owner Gannett made a private offer to Tribune Publishing: We want you, for roughly $815 million, or $12.25 per share.
own report on the offer notes that at $12.25 a share, Gannett is offering a 63% premium over Friday's...
Miffed Mom of
Fired Critic Cancels
Sep 5, 2014 10:06 AM CDT
Miffed Mom of Fired Critic Cancels
Mother of laid-off journalist gives subscription department a piece of her mind
canned about 70 employees on Wednesday, including film critic Scott Bowles, who had been with the paper for 17 years, reports the
New York Times
. Bowles says there's no proof, but he believes he was fired—right after returning from the memorial service for his dad,
This Girl, 9, Scolded
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 26, 2013 10:19 AM CDT
This Girl, 9, Scolded McDonald's CEO
'Don't you want kids to be healthy so they can live a long and healthy life?'
- Nine-year-old Hannah Robertson knows it's important to eat her fruits and veggies (more so than most; this is her mom ), but she thought Don Thompson ought to know, too. Thompson just so happens to be the CEO of McDonald's, and Robertson addressed him at the fast-food giant'...
Dead at 89
Apr 19, 2013 6:42 PM CDT
Founder Al Neuharth Dead at 89
His focus on short stories, graphics changed newspaper industry
founder Al Neuharth has died in Cocoa Beach, Florida, at age 89. The news was announced today by
and by the Newseum, which he also founded. Neuharth changed American newspapers by putting easy-to-read articles and bright graphics in his national daily publication, which he began in...
Case Must Stay
Feb 7, 2013 4:33 AM CST
Latest in Chandra Levy Case Must Stay Secret: Judge
Judge keeps transcripts sealed ahead of new hearing
- A new hearing regarding Ingmar Guandique, convicted in the Chandra Levy murder case, is set for today—but the media remains in the dark about new developments . A judge yesterday decided to keep transcripts of the latest proceedings sealed, and he's considering closing today's hearing, too,
Fox at Press
Jan 17, 2013 8:39 AM CST
Obama 'Shuns' Fox at Press Conferences
ABC gets called on the most: study
- Does President Obama play favorites with the press? A new study shows certain media outlets getting a healthy dose of attention at news conferences, while others—notably Fox News—receive less, Politico reports. Smart Politics finds that Fox is "still shunned" at the events; its reporters, the study says,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
The World Has a New Island
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.