Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Standard & Poor's
Stories 1 - 20 |
S&P Assesses Russia
at 'Selective Default'
Apr 9, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
S&P Assesses Russia at 'Selective Default'
Given the sanctions, company doesn't expect repayment in dollars in time
- S&P Global Ratings has downgraded its assessment of Russia's ability to repay foreign debt, signaling increased prospects that Moscow will soon default on such loans for the first time in more than a century. The credit ratings agency issued the downgrade to "selective default" Friday night after...
Stocks Swoon Again;
Dow Sinks 400
Mar 23, 2018 3:28 PM CDT
Stocks Swoon Again; Dow Sinks 400
Traders worried about trade war between US, China
- Stocks sank again Friday, giving Wall Street its worst week in two years, as fear gripped investors that China and the US were headed for a trade war, the AP reports. The Dow Jones industrial average plunged more than 400 points, bringing its weekly decline to 1,400. Technology companies...
Stocks End Sluggish
Week With Small Gains
Mar 16, 2018 3:29 PM CDT
Stocks End Sluggish Week With Small Gains
Energy, industrial companies rose Friday
- The stock market eked out a small gain Friday but still ended the week lower after several days of losses, the AP reports. Energy companies rose along with the price of crude oil. ConocoPhillips gained 1.7%. Banks and industrial companies also ended higher. PNC Financial rose 1.4% and...
Strong Hiring Sends
Stocks, Yields Up
Mar 9, 2018 3:44 PM CST
Strong Hiring Sends Stocks, Yields Up
Nasdaq hits another record high
- Stocks and bond yields rose sharply Friday on Wall Street after the government reported a big increase in hiring last month, the AP reports. Investors were relieved to see that wage growth slowed. A jump in wages a month ago raised worries about inflation. Technology companies wiped out the last...
Late Rally Erases
Early Stock Slide
Mar 2, 2018 3:23 PM CST
Late Rally Erases Early Stock Slide
Investors remain focused on Trump's threat of tariffs
- A late burst of buying Friday erased a sharp drop stocks suffered early in the day, the AP reports. Bond yields and the price of gold rose, both signs that investors expect inflation might tick up. Investors remain focused on President Trump's threat to impose tariffs on steel and...
Plans for Steel, Aluminum
Tariffs Sink US Stocks
Mar 1, 2018 3:20 PM CST
Plans for Steel, Aluminum Tariffs Sink US Stocks
Trump announced tariffs Thursday
- Stocks fell sharply Thursday as investors worried that President Trump's planned tariffs on steel and aluminum will lead to retaliation from other countries, the AP reports. Trump told industry executives he would impose the tariffs next week. The head of the European Commission said the region would respond in...
Stocks End Choppy
Week Slightly Higher
Feb 23, 2018 3:16 PM CST
Stocks End Choppy Week Slightly Higher
Tech, banks led gains Friday
- Stocks are ending the week slightly higher after a two-day rally wiped out losses from earlier in the week, the AP reports. The gains Friday were led by technology and banks. Hewlett Packard Enterprise soared 10.5% and former corporate sibling HP rose 3.5% after both reported solid results....
Stocks End Mostly
Higher on Wall Street
Feb 22, 2018 3:34 PM CST
Stocks End Mostly Higher on Wall Street
Industrial stocks led the way
- Stocks closed mostly higher Thursday on Wall Street after much of a midday rally faded away by the closing bell, the AP reports. Industrial stocks contributed the most to the market's gains. United Technologies rose 3.3% a day after its CEO said the company may split up. Energy...
Stocks Rise for
6th Straight Day
Feb 16, 2018 3:19 PM CST
Stocks Rise for 6th Straight Day
More than half the losses from earlier this month have been wiped out
- Stocks ended an up-and-down day mostly higher Friday, capping a week of strong gains that wiped out more than half of the losses suffered in a series of wild swings in early February, the AP reports. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose for the sixth day in a...
Tech Leads Stocks
to 5th Straight Gain
Feb 15, 2018 3:25 PM CST
Tech Leads Stocks to 5th Straight Gain
No thanks to energy companies
- A surge in marquee technology companies pushed stocks higher again Thursday on Wall Street, giving the market its fifth gain in a row, the AP reports. The Dow Jones industrial average rose more than 300 points. Big increases from Apple, Microsoft, and Cisco drove the tech sector higher, helping to...
Market Shakes Inflation
Worries, Ends Up
Feb 14, 2018 3:17 PM CST
Market Shakes Inflation Worries, Ends Up
Banks had a good day
- Stocks rose for the fourth day in a row Wednesday on Wall Street after shaking off an early stumble following another sign that inflation was picking up slightly, the AP reports. The market started slightly lower but turned higher within the first hour of trading and kept going. The Dow...
Stocks Swing Back to
Gains, Dow up 330
Feb 9, 2018 3:24 PM CST
Stocks Swing Back to Gains, Dow up 330
But Dow and S&P 500 both end week down over 5% overall
- Stocks staged a late rally Friday, ending a wild week marked by dramatic point swings on a positive note, the AP reports. The Dow Jones industrial average gained 330 points, or 1.4%, to 24,190. Earlier in the day it had dropped by 500. The S&P 500 gained...
Dow Sees 2nd-Worst
Point Decline in Its History
Feb 8, 2018 3:47 PM CST
Dow Sees 2nd-Worst Point Decline in Its History
But some experts say not to worry
- The Dow Jones industrial average plunged more than 1,000 points on Thursday as a weeklong market swoon continued, the AP reports. Worries about inflation set the market rout in motion last Friday, and many market watchers have been predicting a pullback after the market's relentless march higher...
Stocks End Lower
After Wobbly Day
Feb 7, 2018 3:33 PM CST
Stocks End Lower After Wobbly Day
Tech companies hit by some of the biggest losses
- Stocks are ending a wobbly Wednesday lower, but with far less volatility than the market has seen over the previous three days, the AP reports. Technology companies posted some of the biggest losses. Apple gave up 2.1% and Facebook lost 2.8%. Energy companies also fell. Exxon Mobil gave...
Stocks Swoon, Sending
Dow Down Over 600 Points
Feb 2, 2018 3:33 PM CST
Stocks Swoon, Sending Dow Down Over 600 Points
It ends worst week for stocks in 2 years
- The stock market closed sharply lower Friday, extending a week-long slide, as the Dow Jones industrial average plunged more than 600 points, the AP reports. Stocks ended their worst week in two years, and the Dow's drop was its biggest in percentage terms since June 2016. Several giant US...
Stocks End Bit Higher
Jan 31, 2018 3:15 PM CST
After Stumble, Stocks End Bit Higher
Health care stocks down, tech companies up
- Stock indexes ended slightly higher Wednesday on Wall Street after overcoming a brief stumble in the afternoon, the AP reports. The dip came after the Federal Reserve released its latest statement on interest rate policy and the economy. The Fed, as expected, held off on raising interest rates. Losses in...
Stock Indexes Power
to More Record Highs
Jan 26, 2018 3:21 PM CST
Stock Indexes Power to More Record Highs
Technology, health care companies see gains
- Stocks surged further into record territory Friday on Wall Street, driven by more gains in technology and health care companies, the AP reports. Chipmaker Intel jumped 10.6% after turning in strong quarterly results. AbbVie, a drugmaker, soared 13.8% after releasing a strong report of its own. Health care...
Stocks End a Choppy
Day of Trading Mixed
Jan 25, 2018 3:31 PM CST
Stocks End a Choppy Day of Trading Mixed
Tech companies held back gains elsewhere
- The stock market ended a choppy day of trading Thursday with mixed results as slumping technology companies held back gains elsewhere, the AP reports. The Standard & Poor's 500 notched a tiny gain, enough to mark another all-time high for the widely used index. Safe-play stocks like utilities and...
Tech Losses Weigh
on US Stock Indexes
Jan 24, 2018 3:22 PM CST
Tech Losses Weigh on US Stock Indexes
And airlines suffered steep losses
- US stocks wobbled and finished mostly lower Wednesday on Wall Street as technology companies, including chip-makers, dropped, the AP reports. Industrial companies were weighed down by steep losses in airlines. United Continental plunged 11% after saying it would ramp up passenger capacity to compete with lower-priced airlines. Delta fell 5%...
US Stocks Finish Higher
Jan 19, 2018 3:36 PM CST
US Stocks Finish Higher
Several major indexes hit new highs Friday
- Stocks closed higher Friday on Wall Street, driving several of the major indexes to new highs, the AP reports. Retailers and consumer goods companies led the gainers. Energy stocks fell along with the price of crude oil. Utilities declined as bond yields rose. Lowe's rose 3.5% after naming...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.