Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
missile defense system
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia Is Using
a Novel Decoy Missile
Mar 15, 2022 11:42 AM CDT
Russia Is Using a Novel Decoy Missile
'New York Times' reports it may be why Ukraine has been struggling to intercept missiles
- Ukraine has won praise for its ability to blunt the progress of Russia's military—see this assessment in the Conversation —but footage from Kyiv and elsewhere makes clear that aerial bombardments are still exacting a massive toll. One reason, reports the
New York Times
, is that Ukraine's...
Is Now Deployed,
Dec 28, 2019 9:01 AM CST
Hypersonic Weapon Is Now Deployed, Russia Says
Development could renew arms race or restart negotiations with US
- Russia said its new, intercontinental weapon that can carry a nuclear warhead, travel at 3,800 mph, and is invulnerable to US missile defense systems is ready to use. US officials said they believe it. The Russian military made the announcement Friday, the
New York Times
reports, raising the possibility...
Turkey Just Got
Special Delivery That
Won't Make US Happy
Jul 12, 2019 10:11 AM CDT
Turkey Just Got Special Delivery That Won't Make US Happy
First shipment of Russian S-400 missile defense system has arrived in Ankara
- A special delivery arrived in Turkey's capital Friday: the first batch of equipment for a $2.5 billion Russian S-400 missile defense system. A source tells the TASS news agency that two more shipments are expected by the end of the summer and that Turkish missile operators are being...
Report: Test of Hawaii's Missile
Interceptor Was a Flop
Feb 1, 2018 5:10 AM CST
Report: Test of Hawaii's Missile Interceptor Was a Flop
Sources say SM-3 missile failed to hit incoming target
- Hawaii now has fresh worries about its missile defense system on top of its concerns about its emergency warning system. Defense sources tell NBC and the
New York Times
that the latest test of the SM-3 Block IIA interceptor missile, designed to knock out incoming missiles, was a flop. The...
With Interceptor Missile
May 30, 2017 6:30 PM CDT
Pentagon Hits ICBM-Style Target With Interceptor Missile
Tuesday's launch was win for system with highly mixed test record
- US officials are calling Tuesday's successful test of the country's missile-defense system "an incredible accomplishment," the
Los Angeles Times
reports. A rocket fired from California intercepted and destroyed a target warhead fired toward Alaska from the other side of the Pacific Ocean. It was the first-ever...
US Will Try to
Shoot Down an
ICBM for 1st Time
May 26, 2017 2:15 PM CDT
US Will Try to Shoot Down an ICBM for 1st Time
Pentagon worried about possible nuclear missile from North Korea
- For the first time ever, the US will attempt to shoot down an intercontinental-range missile speeding toward the homeland, the AP reports. The Pentagon has scheduled a test of its Ground-based Midcourse Defense system for next Tuesday. The test was announced three days after the director of the US Defense...
China Seethes as US Deploys
S. Korea Anti-Missile System
Mar 7, 2017 6:47 AM CST
China Seethes as US Deploys S. Korea Anti-Missile System
Beijing says there will be consequences
- US missile launchers and other equipment needed to set up a controversial missile defense system have arrived in South Korea, the US and South Korean militaries said Tuesday, a day after North Korea test-launched four ballistic missiles into the ocean near Japan. The plans to deploy the Terminal High-Altitude Area...
Report: US Can't
Protect Itself From
Jul 14, 2016 3:49 PM CDT
Report: US Can't Protect Itself From North Korean Nuclear Attacks
American missile defense system is a 'disaster'
- Uh-oh. A 60-page report released Thursday by the Union of Concerned Scientists says America's current defense system is "simply unable to protect the US public" from nuclear attacks by the likes of Iran and North Korea. The report calls the Ground-based Midcourse Defense system (GMD) a "system...
Russia: US Missile
in Romania a
May 12, 2016 9:45 AM CDT
Russia: US Missile Defense Site in Romania a 'Direct Threat'
The US says defense site is meant to stifle threats from Iran, not Russia
- A US missile defense site in Romania aimed at protecting Europe from ballistic missile threats went live Thursday, angering Russia, which opposes its presence in its former area of influence, the AP reports. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg tried to reassure Russia as he spoke at a ceremony attended by...
Putin Selling Iran
a 'Game Changer'
Apr 14, 2015 7:03 AM CDT
Putin Selling Iran a 'Game Changer' Missile Defense
'Beast' could make it very hard for US to strike Iran
- The nuclear deal between Iran and Western powers is still only a "framework," but Vladimir Putin has decided to lift a ban on missile sales to Tehran—and make it a lot harder for the US to strike Iran if the deal goes bad. The Russian leader has...
Russia Picks a
Mar 23, 2015 8:10 AM CDT
Russia Picks a New Fight—With Tiny Denmark
'Danish warships will be' nuclear targets if country joins NATO shield: ambassador
- Denmark is poised to play a role in NATO's missile defense system, and Russia isn't happy about it. In August, Denmark said it would use its warships' radar to contribute to the shield, Reuters reports; now Russia has issued a threat over the decision. "If that happens,...
Jul 28, 2014 12:05 PM CDT
Pols Demand Missile Defenses on Airliners
Thousands of surface-to-air missiles believed owned by terrorists
- A pair of prominent legislators are reviving a decade-old measure that would outfit passenger planes with anti-missile technology, at a cost of up to $2 million per $200 million plane, the
New York Post
reports. Sen. Charles Schumer and Rep. Steve Israel want on-board lasers, warning systems, flares, and infrared...
'Star Wars' Defense
Aug 30, 2013 2:51 PM CDT
Russia Building 'Star Wars' Defense
Moscow plans major improvement to launch in 2017
- Russia might not be thrilled with US plans to build a NATO shield in Europe , but that's not stopping Moscow from beefing up its own missile-defense system, AFP reports. It plans to launch a long-range system in 2017 capable of knocking out targets in space. The S-500 system would...
Assad: The Russian
Missiles Are Here
May 30, 2013 7:51 AM CDT
Assad: The Russian Missiles Are Here
He says in interview to air on Hezbollah TV channel
- On the one hand, it's a fairly expected announcement: On the heels of Russia's confirmation of a missile deal with Syria, President Bashar al-Assad has confirmed that the initial shipment of S-300 air defense missiles was in fact delivered to his country, with the second portion of the...
Japan Deploys Defenses
Amid Korea Missile Fears
Apr 9, 2013 12:01 AM CDT
Japan Deploys Defenses Amid Korea Missile Fears
N. Koreans fail to show up at Kaesong complex
- Japan, fearing a possible North Korean missile launch, has set up missile defense batteries at several sites in Tokyo. The deployment comes amid warnings that Pyongyang may be preparing to launch missiles as soon as Wednesday , the
New York Times
reports. North Korea has threatened to attack American military bases...
Mar 18, 2013 7:45 AM CDT
China: US Is Bungling North Korea Situation
And lawmaker says Pyongyang has missile that could reach US
- If the US boosts its missile defenses in reaction to North Korea's threats, a plan revealed last week and confirmed by Chuck Hagel on Friday, it will just make the situation worse, China is warning today. The move, which would bring the total number of US interceptors to 44...
US to Boost
Mar 15, 2013 4:00 AM CDT
Pyongyang Threats Prompt US to Boost Missile Defense
Obama had halted program's expansion
- North Korea's missile warnings have the US building up its defenses, insiders tell Fox News . The Pentagon is preparing 14 new ground-based interceptors in Alaska and California. The result—44 total interceptors—is in line with Bush administration plans. President Obama had halted deployment at 30 when he entered...
Going to Turkey
Dec 4, 2012 2:36 PM CST
NATO: Patriot Missiles Are Going to Turkey
- Now it's official: NATO agreed today to send Patriot anti-missile systems to Turkey to protect against attacks from war-torn Syria, the AP reports. The systems—which include radars, missiles, and other facilities—will be programmed only to fend off the Syrian shells and mortar rounds that have already killed...
US Missile Defense
Not Ready for
Iran, N. Korea
Sep 12, 2012 10:59 AM CDT
US Missile Defense Not Ready for Iran, N. Korea
NRC report calls for missile site in Northeast
- America's missile defense system isn't enough to defend against the threat Iran or North Korea could pose in less than a decade, a report from scientists and military experts at the National Research Council finds. The panel's report says the current system is "very expensive and...
Putin Explains Why
Group Sex Is Great
Sep 6, 2012 10:15 AM CDT
Putin Explains Why Group Sex Is Great
...something about not having to 'hit the ball all the time'
- Ladies of Russia, take note: Vladimir Putin might just be into orgies. In an interview with Russia Today , Putin threw out an off-handed comment on the upside of group sex while discussing Pussy Riot, the
notes. Putin says that Pussy Riot—which he faults for making "everyone say...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.