Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Talked Penis Size With
Letterman, Taught on Fetishes
Jun 30, 2023 7:43 AM CDT
She Talked Penis Size With Letterman, Taught on Fetishes
Former nurse Sue Johanson, who became a celebrity sex expert in US and Canada, dies at 93
- Sue Johanson, a nurse who became a popular TV sex expert in Canada and the United States when she was in her 60s, has died, her daughter said. Johanson died in Toronto on Wednesday at age 93 after a long decline, Jane Johanson said, per the AP . Johanson's straight...
Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Jun 2, 2023 1:02 PM CDT
Fellow Passengers Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett, both nurses, save a man with no pulse aboard plane
- After a four-day cruise in the Bahamas, Baltimore couple Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett were eager to get home. So eager, in fact, that they twice tried to switch to an earlier flight out of Fort Lauderdale, where their cruise ship docked around 9am on May 1. Ultimately, they stuck...
Nurse Accused of
Apr 13, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Nurse Accused of Slamming Newborn Into Bassinet
Lawyer says 'exceptional' Long Island nurse would never harm baby
- A Long Island nurse who was recorded allegedly treating a newborn baby roughly was arrested Wednesday and charged with endangering the welfare of a minor. Prosecutors say Amanda Burke, 29, was fired within hours of the alleged incident on Feb. 6 in the neonatal intensive care unit at Good Samaritan...
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought
to License Untrained Nurses
Jan 27, 2023 2:10 PM CST
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought to License Untrained Nurses
More than 7.6K fake diplomas allegedly issued over 5 years in South Florida
- "There are over 7,600 people around the country with fraudulent nursing credentials who are potentially in critical health care roles treating patients," FBI Miami Special Agent in Charge Chad Yarbrough said this week. His warning came as the Justice Department announced charges related to three accredited nursing...
Jan 18, 2023 4:09 PM CST
Those Heroic Nurses Need More Help
Biggest issue in strikes is staffing, Lydia Polgreen writes
- Nurses were praised and universally thanked for their work early in the pandemic—applauded nightly in New York, for example, in a show of support for essential health care workers, per NPR . But the appreciation and the pizza didn't last, and nurses remain shortchanged and taken for granted, Lydia...
New York City Nurses
Return to Work
Jan 12, 2023 3:42 PM CST
New York City Nurses Return to Work
Three-day strike end at two hospitals
- Thousands of nurses at two New York City hospitals ended a three-day strike Thursday after reaching a tentative contract agreement that union officials said will relieve chronic short staffing and boost pay by 19% over three years. Nurses began returning to work Thursday morning at Mount Sinai Hospital and Montefiore...
Outrage After Maternity Nurses
Share Their 'Icks' on TikTok
Dec 11, 2022 3:00 PM CST
Outrage After Maternity Nurses Share Their 'Icks' on TikTok
Emory University Hospital Midtown refers to 'former employees' in statement
- Complaining about your job with co-workers is pretty typical, but four labor and delivery nurses who made a TikTok video airing their gripes may have lost their jobs over it. NBC News reports the nurses at Emory University Hospital Midtown made a video in which they sounded off about what...
Prosecutor: When Babies
Survived, Nurse Tried
to Kill Them Again
Oct 10, 2022 1:51 PM CDT
Prosecutor: When Babies Survived, Nurse Tried to Kill Them Again
British nurse Lucy Letby goes on trial on 7 counts of murder, plus multiple counts of attempted murder
- A British nurse accused of killing seven babies in a neonatal unit and trying to murder 10 more was a "malevolent presence" at the Countess of Chester hospital, prosecutor Nick Johnson said as Lucy Letby's trial began Monday. He said that before Letby started work on the ward,...
Have Had It
Sep 13, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
15K Nurses in Minnesota Have Had It
They hope 3-day strike will give them the upper hand in contract negotiations
- Some 15,000 nurses in Minnesota have walked off the job in what the
calls "the largest strike of private-sector nurses in US history," with some of 15 affected hospitals preparing for delays despite efforts to recruit traveling nurses. The three-day strike, which began Monday, comes...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal
Meds Avoids Jail Time
May 14, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal Meds Avoids Jail Time
RaDonda Vaught gets 3 years of supervised probation for death of Charlene Murphey
- RaDonda Vaught, the Tennessee nurse behind a fatal medicine mix-up that killed a 75-year-old woman in 2017, won't be going to prison. WTVF reports that the 38-year-old former nurse at Nashville's Vanderbilt University Medical Center was sentenced Friday to three years of supervised probation, following emotional testimony from...
Nurse in Fatal Drug
Mix-Up Hears Her Fate
Mar 26, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Nurse in Fatal Drug Mix-Up Hears Her Fate
RaDonda Vaught found guilty of negligent homicide, gross neglect in death of 75-year-old patient
RaDonda Vaught has been found guilty in the death of an elderly patient after a fatal drug mistake. The
and NPR report that a jury in Nashville, Tenn., on Friday convicted the former nurse of criminally negligent homicide and gross neglect of an impaired adult, tied to the...
After Assault, Nurse Dies in
Same Hospital She Served
Jan 18, 2022 11:10 AM CST
After Assault, Nurse Dies in Same Hospital She Served
Police in Los Angeles say Sandra Shells, 70, was victim of unprovoked attack at bus stop
- A 70-year-old nurse who worked most of her life at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center died there last week after being assaulted at a bus stop, reports NBC News . Sandra Shells, who was still employed by the hospital after 38 years, was the victim of what police are calling an...
3 Nurses Sue for $1M
After Airing COVID Views
Jan 12, 2022 8:57 AM CST
3 Nurses Sue for $1M After Airing COVID Views
Ontario RNs accused of spreading misinformation file complaint against nurses group, media org
- Three nurses in Canada who saw repercussions after voicing conspiracy theories online about COVID have now filed a $1 million libel lawsuit. Per the CBC , the complaint by Kristen Nagle, Kristal Pitter, and Sara Choujounian—registered Dec. 13 against the Canadian Nurses Association, CNA executives, and Together News Inc., a...
Patient Loses Dog,
So Nurse Takes Action
Dec 26, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Patient Loses Dog, So Nurse Takes Action
Jennifer Smith adopted her patient's dog to keep them together
- It's an all too common tale: a dog owner becomes ill and must stay hospitalized for a long period, forcing them to surrender the companion they love. In many cases, they lose their dog forever. In the case of Central New York man John Burley and his buddy Boomer,...
Cops Say Fake Nurse
Worked at Hospital for a Year
in case you missed it
Nov 28, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Cops Say Fake Nurse Worked at Hospital for a Year
Canadian woman Brigitte Cleroux has a long history of similar offenses
- Authorities in Canada say Brigitte Cleroux appears to have had a long career working as a nurse at numerous hospitals and clinics—which is a big problem, because she isn't a nurse. Police say the 49-year-old used the name of a real nurse to get a job at BC...
Kaiser, Unions Reach
Deal Without 2-Tiered Pay
Nov 14, 2021 1:25 PM CST
Kaiser, Unions Reach Deal Without 2-Tiered Pay
Strike was scheduled to begin Monday
: Kaiser Permanente and a group of unions have reached a tentative agreement on a four-year contract, averting a strike by employees in eight states. The deal reached Saturday includes pay raises and drops Kaiser's plan for a two-tiered wage system, the
New York Times
reports, that would pay...
She Says She Administered
Vaccine. Cops Say She Didn't
Nov 8, 2021 7:16 AM CST
She Says She Administered Vaccine. Cops Say She Didn't
Nurse is accused of pretending to give vax to teen at clinic in Perth, Australia
- A nurse in Western Australia has been charged with fraud, accused of pretending to administer a COVID vaccine at a private clinic. The
notes it's the first recorded instance of someone allegedly faking such a vaccination. ABC Australia reports that 51-year-old Christina Hartmann Benz had apparently received a...
This Week, a 'Turning
Point' on Vaccinations
Jul 27, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
This Week, a 'Turning Point' on Vaccinations
As case numbers rise once again, vaccine mandates gain support
- The US has reached a turning point in the pandemic, with businesses, state governments, and even a federal government agency now backing mandatory coronavirus vaccinations for employees. How'd we get here?
"With vaccination rates stagnating and the delta variant driving yet another wave of cases,
Major Medical Groups Just
Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
Jul 26, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Major Medical Groups Just Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
AMA, dozens of others say health care workers should be required to get vaccinations
- As pushback continues against requiring coronavirus vaccines on cruise ships , in the NF L, and on college campuses , there's a new lobby for mandatory vaccination. The
and CNN report that 50-plus medical groups representing millions of health care professionals released a statement Monday calling for health care...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.