Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 21, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Buzz Aldrin Celebrated 2 Happy Occasions on Friday
Astronaut marked his 93rd birthday, also got married
- Astronaut Edwin "Buzz” Aldrin announced on social media that he has married his "longtime love" in a small ceremony in Los Angeles. Aldrin, who made history along with Neil Armstrong as the first humans to set foot on the surface of the moon, said the wedding took place...
'The World Has Lost
Another True Hero'
Jan 3, 2023 8:01 PM CST
'The World Has Lost Another True Hero'
Walter Cunningham, last surviving Apollo 7 astronaut, dies at 90
- Walter Cunningham, the last surviving astronaut from the first successful crewed space mission in NASA's Apollo program, died Tuesday in Houston. He was 90. His family said through a spokesman that Cunningham "died in the hospital of natural causes," the AP reports. Cunningham was one of three...
The World’s First
Has Been Selected
Nov 25, 2022 3:51 AM CST
The World’s First Disabled Astronaut Has Been Selected
European Space Agency chose former Paralympic sprinter John McFall
- A British man who lost his right leg in a motorcycle accident when he was 19 is going to become the world's first disabled astronaut—or "parastronaut," as the European Space Agency terms it. John McFall, 41, became a Paralympic sprinter after the accident and later trained...
After Safe Trip to
Oct 19, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
After Safe Trip to Space, Cosmonaut Hits Co-Worker With Car
It's advised astronauts not drive for 3 weeks once home; Oleg Artemyev hit victim 19 days after return
- Not even three weeks after he set foot back on Earth, a Russian cosmonaut is having a rough time adjusting back to terra firma. According to the nation's Roscosmos space agency, Oleg Artemyev, who returned from trip No. 3 to the International Space Station at the end of last...
Russian Astronauts Board
ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Mar 19, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Russian Astronauts Board ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Were they wearing Ukraine's colors on purpose, or was it a coincidence?
- For the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine last month, a trio of Russian astronauts arrived at the International Space Station. But when the ISS hatch opened to let them in, their appearance raised some eyebrows, reports Space.com . Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveyev, and Sergey Korsakov blasted off in their...
Nov 8, 2021 12:18 PM CST
This Is a First for China's Space Program
First female Chinese astronaut conducts spacewalk
- Wang Yaping has become the first Chinese woman to conduct a spacewalk as part of a six-month mission to the country's space station, per the AP . Wang and fellow astronaut Zhai Zhigang left the station's main module on Sunday evening, spending more than six hours outside installing equipment...
'No One’s Ever Sent
Me a Spaceship for
My Birthday Before'
Aug 30, 2021 3:04 PM CDT
'No One’s Ever Sent Me a Spaceship for My Birthday Before'
Ice cream delivery arrives on astronaut Megan McArthur 50th birthday
- A space station astronaut is celebrating her 50th birthday with the coolest present ever—a supply ship bearing ice cream and other treats. SpaceX’s latest cargo delivery showed up Monday at the International Space Station after a day in transit. Overseeing the automated docking was NASA astronaut Megan McArthur....
Scott Kelly's Body Endured
Another Surprise in Space
Apr 2, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Scott Kelly's Body Endured Another Surprise in Space
Astronaut's heart didn't have to work as hard in zero gravity and so it shrank 27%, scientists say
- They called it the "perfect nature versus nurture" experiment : Astronaut Scott Kelly was sent to the International Space Station for nearly a year, while his identical twin, astronaut and now Sen. Mark Kelly, remained on Earth. When Scott Kelly came back home in March 2016, scientists compared his DNA...
Boeing Astronaut Pulls Out
of First Starliner Mission
Oct 7, 2020 7:40 PM CDT
Boeing Astronaut Pulls Out of First Starliner Mission
Chris Ferguson doesn't want to miss daughter's wedding
- The commander of the final space shuttle mission has decided against becoming one of the first "corporate astronauts." Chris Ferguson tells the
that he has stepped aside as commander of the first crewed mission of Boeing's Starliner spacecraft because he has a "lot of...
She Accused Astronaut of
a Space Crime. Now, a Twist
in case you missed it
Apr 11, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
She Accused Astronaut of a Space Crime. Now, a Twist
Summer Worden, ex-wife of astronaut Anne McClain, accused of making false statements
- It was an unprecedented accusation , and now there's a twist: In what's been described as the first allegation of a crime in space, astronaut Anne McClain was accused of improperly accessing the personal bank account of estranged spouse Summer Worden on two occasions in January 2019 while McClain...
Man Who Circled the Moon
Alone in 1971 Has Died
Mar 19, 2020 3:40 AM CDT
Man Who Circled the Moon Alone in 1971 Has Died
Al Worden was on Apollo 15
- Apollo 15 astronaut Al Worden, who circled the moon alone in 1971 while his two crewmates test-drove the first lunar rover, died Wednesday at age 88. Worden died in his sleep at a rehab center in Houston following treatment for an infection, says friend and colleague Tom Kallman. "Al...
Always Wanted to
Be an Astronaut?
This May Be
Feb 13, 2020 8:09 AM CST
Always Wanted to Be an Astronaut? This May Be Your Chance
NASA has put out a call to the general public for applications
- Calling all Buzz Aldrin wannabes—NASA is looking for you.
reports that the space agency will soon be accepting applications from the general public to vie for a spot in the next class of Artemis Generation astronauts, with a chance to possibly fly to the International Space Station...
Jan 4, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Astronaut's Scary Rare Event, 200-Plus Miles Above Earth
Astronaut was found to have potentially dangerous blood clot, sending doctors scrambling
- If "venous thrombosis" sounds menacing, that's because it can be—but even more so if you're an astronaut hovering more than 200 miles above the Earth at the International Space Station. Gizmodo reports on just that frightening scenario, as documented in a new paper in the
2 Female Astronauts
Just Made History
Oct 18, 2019 12:12 PM CDT
2 Female Astronauts Just Made History
Christina Koch, Jessica Meir are first to make women-only spacewalk to fix the ISS power grid
- For the past 50 years, the guys have gone out into space to carry out all needed repairs. On Friday, that all changed, thanks to Christina Koch and Jessica Meir. The two NASA astronauts became the world's first all-female team to do a spacewalk when they were sent out...
This May Be First Allegation
of a Crime From Space
Aug 24, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
This May Be First Allegation of a Crime From Space
It involves a custody dispute and an estranged spouse accessing a bank account
- It's an unfortunate custody dispute between estranged spouses, with one element that makes it stand above all others—it has led to what the
New York Times
reports might be the first allegation of a crime in space. In the short version, astronaut Anne McClain is accused of improperly...
He Once Set His
Sights on Stars.
Now, the Senate
Feb 12, 2019 9:10 AM CST
He Once Set His Sights on Stars. Now, the Senate
Retired astronaut Mark Kelly to run for US Senate out of Arizona
- Retired astronaut Mark Kelly has announced his "next mission"—and it's an ambitious, albeit earthbound, one. "I care about people. I care about the state of Arizona. I care about this nation. So because of that, I've decided I'm launching a campaign for the...
Humans to Mars? 'Stupid'
Idea, Says Apollo Astronaut
Dec 24, 2018 7:37 AM CST
Humans to Mars? 'Stupid' Idea, Says Apollo Astronaut
Bill Anders, now 85, thinks the idea is 'almost ridiculous'
- NASA aims to send humans to Mars in the not-too-distant future. One of its more famous former employees thinks it's a dumb idea. "Stupid" is actually the word used by astronaut Bill Anders in an interview with the BBC . The 85-year-old, who went up with Apollo 8 in...
Nov 5, 2018 1:07 AM CST
Neil Armstrong's Spacecraft ID Fetches $465K
Memorabilia auction made $7.4M
- Memorabilia that belonged to the first man to set foot on the moon has fetched more than $7.4 million at auction. Dallas-based Heritage Auctions says the item that sold for the highest price, $468,500, was Neil Armstrong's spacecraft ID plate from Apollo 11's lunar module Eagle....
Minutes After Launch, Things
Go Wrong for Astronauts
Oct 11, 2018 6:43 AM CDT
Minutes After Launch, Things Go Wrong for Astronauts
US, Russian astronauts survive emergency landing
- Two astronauts from the US and Russia are safe after an emergency landing Thursday in the steppes of Kazakhstan following the failure of a Russian booster rocket carrying them to the International Space Station. NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Roscosmos' Alexei Ovchinin lifted off as scheduled early Thursday from the...
For First Time in Decades,
Astronaut Quits During Training
Aug 28, 2018 12:14 PM CDT
For First Time in Decades, Astronaut Quits During Training
Robb Kulin came to NASA from SpaceX
- For the first time in 50 years, an astronaut-in-training is quitting NASA. Astronaut candidate Robb Kulin has resigned halfway through his two years of training at Johnson Space Center in Houston. A NASA spokeswoman says his departure is effective Friday and that he is leaving for personal reasons that the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.