Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Officials Blame Iran for
Drone Attack on Cargo Ship
Nov 25, 2023 10:52 AM CST
Officials Blame Iran for Drone Attack on Cargo Ship
Israeli-owned ship was attacked in Indian Ocean
- A container ship owned by an Israeli billionaire came under attack by a suspected Iranian drone in the Indian Ocean, an American defense official said Saturday. The attack Friday on the CMA CGM Symi comes as global shipping increasingly finds itself targeted in the Israel-Hamas war that threatens to become...
Company Teases New Evidence
of MH370's Location
Mar 10, 2023 4:15 PM CST
Company Teases New Evidence of MH370's Location
US-based Ocean Infinity wants Malaysia's approval to launch another search
- Nine years after Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 vanished over the Indian Ocean, leaving little evidence of its tragic fate, one of the biggest mysteries in aviation continues to baffle, as evidenced by Netflix's new documentary exploring what might have happened to the Boeing 777 along its route from Kuala...
Freddy Is Now
Cyclone on Record
Mar 7, 2023 3:04 PM CST
Freddy Is Now the Longest-Lived Cyclone on Record
31-day-old Indian Ocean storm is on course to make landfall for a third time
- Much like Freddy Krueger in the
Nightmare on Elm Street
movies, Cyclone Freddy keeps coming back when people think the threat has subsided. The storm in the Indian Ocean is now the longest-lived tropical cyclone on record, having tied with 1994's Hurricane-Typhoon John at 31 days, and is on...
Expect This on
May 31, 2020 1:15 PM CDT
Scientists Didn't Expect This on the Ocean Floor
The 'Dumbo' octopus just defied expectations
- Imagine going deep underwater, spotting strange creatures in the dark—and making a first-ever find. That's what researchers say happened when they spotted a so-called "Dumbo" octopus on the Indian Ocean floor for the first time, Science Times reports. The white cephalopod, named after Disney's Dumbo for...
2 Massive Earthquakes
Have a Hidden Cause
May 23, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
2 Massive Earthquakes Have a Hidden Cause
A new study looks deep below the Indian Ocean
- Looks like scientists have uncovered the source of two huge earthquakes—a fracture in a tectonic plate that's slowly breaking apart, LiveScience reports. A new study says two massive undersea quakes near Indonesia, magnitude-8.6 and 8.2, were likely caused by a breakup in the India-Australia-Capricorn plate in...
15 Years Later, Tsunami's
Toll Remains Mind-Boggling
Dec 26, 2019 10:10 AM CST
15 Years Later, Tsunami's Toll Remains Mind-Boggling
Survivors mark anniversary of disaster that claimed 230K lives in Indonesia, other nations
- "It still haunts me." The line from 28-year-old Thai resident Suwanne Maliwan to Reuters expresses a common sentiment Thursday, the 15th anniversary of the Indian Ocean tsunami that claimed 230,000 lives. Maliwan, for instance, lost both her parents and five other relatives. "Sometimes I dream that...
Why a World Leader Just
Gave Speech Underwater
Apr 14, 2019 7:43 AM CDT
Why a World Leader Just Gave Speech Underwater
Seychelles President Danny Faure makes plea to protect oceans from a submersible
- In a striking speech delivered from deep below the ocean's surface, the Seychelles president on Sunday made a global plea for stronger protection of the "beating blue heart of our planet." President Danny Faure's call for action, the first live speech from an underwater submersible, came...
Scientists Heading to One of
the Last 'Unexplored Frontiers'
Jan 24, 2019 7:20 AM CST
Scientists Heading to One of the Last 'Unexplored Frontiers'
Nekton Mission will investigate Indian Ocean ecosystems
- Scientists prepared Thursday to embark on an unprecedented, years-long mission to explore the Indian Ocean and document changes taking place beneath the waves that could affect billions of people in the surrounding region over the coming decades. The ambitious expedition will delve into one of the last major unexplored frontiers...
2K Miles Off
Rescue of an
Sep 24, 2018 7:27 AM CDT
2K Miles Off Australia, Dramatic Rescue of an Elite Sailor
A severely injured Abhilash Tomy found after yacht dismasted during round-the-world race
- "He is conscious, and he is safe." With those words, an Indian navy rep revealed the status of sailor Abhilash Tomy, who'd placed an emergency call from his yacht during a bid to make it around the world in the Golden Globe Race. Per NPR , Tomy's...
Hunt for MH370 Turns Up
Indian Ocean's Deepest Wrecks
May 4, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
Hunt for MH370 Turns Up Indian Ocean's Deepest Wrecks
They're 2.3 miles below the ocean's surface
- A four-year search of the depths of the Indian Ocean has failed to find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. But the unprecedented sonar hunt for the missing airliner might be close to solving 19th-century mysteries—the locations of two sailing ships that vanished with cargoes of coal, reports the AP . Maritime...
While Searching for MH370,
Ship, Too, Disappears
Feb 6, 2018 8:54 AM CST
While Searching for MH370, Ship, Too, Disappears
Seabed Constructor resurfaces after 3 days in Indian Ocean
- Just when you thought the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 couldn't get any more mystifying, it has. While searching for the Boeing 777 that vanished with 239 people on board after departing Kuala Lumpur in March 2014, a ship itself disappeared more than 1,200 miles off Western...
Crab Is Seen Hunting
a Bird in 'Gruesome' First
Nov 10, 2017 11:53 AM CST
Crab Is Seen Hunting a Bird in 'Gruesome' First
Coconut crabs were previously thought to be scavengers
- Seabirds apparently have a surprising new predator to worry about. A researcher who worked on the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean in 2016 says he witnessed a large coconut crab attack a sleeping seabird, which then became dinner. Mark Laidre of Dartmouth College says he first spotted a crab...
Groom Dies on Honeymoon:
'He Just Dropped in the Water'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 22, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
Groom Dies on Honeymoon: 'He Just Dropped in the Water'
Gill Campion left devastated in the Maldives after Andrew Roddy died while snorkeling
- A mystery-turned-tragedy in the Maldives, with a newly married Irish man dead and his bride plunged into a "nightmare."
reports that Andrew Roddy, 30, had been snorkeling in the Indian Ocean on Tuesday while on his honeymoon with Gill Campion, two weeks after their wedding. The two...
Feb 6, 2017 8:30 PM CST
Ancient 'Lost Continent' Is Found
It hides under Mauritius: scientists
- Before the various land masses that are now Africa, India, Australia, and Antarctica went their separate ways some 200 million years ago, they were part of the supercontinent Gondwana. So, too, was a "lost continent" scientists say is now hiding beneath the island nation of Mauritius. In a video...
MH370 in Wrong
Dec 20, 2016 7:53 AM CST
We've Been Searching for MH370 in Wrong Place: Report
Experts believe plane lies north of the search area
- The only boat left searching for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 isn't likely to find it, experts say. A new report from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau says "there is a high degree of confidence" that the plane that disappeared from radar on March 8, 2014, isn't in...
Dec 13, 2016 9:46 AM CST
Last MH370 Search Boat Departs on Final Mission
It will scan trouble areas for the next month
- A Pennsylvania-sized patch of the Indian Ocean has been combed in a $150 million search effort for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370—and that search is now coming to a close with the mystery still unsolved. The last boat still looking for the plane left the Australian port of Fremantle on...
MH370 Wing Flap
Is Clue to Plane's
Nov 2, 2016 8:05 AM CDT
MH370 Wing Flap Is Clue to Plane's Last Moments
Wing flap likely hadn't been deployed: ATSB report
- A piece of debris holds a big potential clue, or so finds a new report on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. Of the more than 20 pieces of aircraft debris that have been found since MH370 went down in March 2014, three have been verified...
Search for MH370
Will Likely End
by July: Chief
Mar 7, 2016 8:56 AM CST
Search for MH370 Will Likely End by July: Chief
But ATSB head says he's 'optimistic' they'll find the missing Malaysia Airlines plane by then
- If the hunt for MH370 doesn't turn up anything over the next few months, the head of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau says the search of a 46,000-square-mile swath of the Indian Ocean will likely be called off by July, NBC News reports. Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan says...
Professor Predicted This
Debris Scenario Last Year
Jul 31, 2015 7:07 AM CDT
Professor Predicted This Debris Scenario Last Year
And Charitha Pattiaratchi may be right
- While the world reels at news that debris washed ashore on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean may be from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, there's one person who's not surprised. Charitha Pattiaratchi, an oceanography professor at the University of Western Australia, created models last year that showed...
Mark 10th Anniversary
Dec 26, 2014 2:27 AM CST
Tsunami-Hit Nations Mark 10th Anniversary
Ceremonies pay tribute to more than 225K dead
- A decade after one of history's worst natural disasters killed more than 225,000 people in 14 countries, memorial ceremonies for Indian Ocean tsunami victims are being held across the region.
In Indonesia, the worst-hit country with more than 170,000 deaths—126,000 of them in Aceh province
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.