Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They Found Safety in Denmark.
Now They're Told to Go
Apr 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
They Found Safety in Denmark. Now They're Told to Go
Denmark becomes first EU country to revoke Syrians' residence permits
- "I'm not a danger. I'm not a criminal." You might be inclined to agree. What Ghalia al-Asseh
is a chemistry and biotechnology student at the Technical University of Denmark, the country in which she has lived since fleeing Syria with her family in 2015. Now,...
3 Men Caught, Sentenced
Over Infamous Drowning
Mar 15, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
3 Men Caught, Sentenced Over Infamous Drowning
Turkey sentences them to 125 years each
- Turkey has thrown three human traffickers behind bars in the case of a Syrian toddler whose death made headlines around the world, CNN reports. The three organizers, caught by Turkish law enforcement after fleeing the trial, were each sentenced Friday to 125 years in prison. Their crime: "killing with...
Man Who Fled Syria Killed
Delivering Pizza in Baltimore
Feb 19, 2020 12:45 AM CST
Man Who Fled Syria Killed Delivering Pizza in Baltimore
Khaled Heeba was on last delivery of the night
- A family friend of a pizza delivery driver who was recently gunned down in Baltimore says he had fled war-torn Syria to seek a better life. The killing of Khaled Heeba remains unsolved nearly two weeks after he died, the
reports. His death is one of more than...
A Refugee Mother's
Anguish After Fire:
'All 7 Are Dead?'
Feb 20, 2019 6:03 AM CST
A Refugee Mother's Anguish After Fire: 'All 7 Are Dead?'
Ibrahim and Kawthar Barho lost all of their children in house fire; Ibrahim Barho is clinging to life
- Friends say a family in Canada was set to move next week from the home they rented and head back to the district in Nova Scotia where they'd first landed as refugees from war-torn Raqqa, Syria, in 2017. Now the family of nine has been tragically reduced to two...
New Home After
7 Months in Airport
Nov 28, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Refugee Finds New Home After 7 Months in Airport
Hassan Al Kontar arrived in Vancouver, Canada, on Monday
- For seven months, Hassan Al Kontar documented his life inside Kuala Lumpur International Airport, where the Syrian refugee was held in limbo after arriving on March 7. Finally, Al Kontar and his 20,000 Twitter followers will get a change of scenery. "For today, I am in Taiwan International...
Man Stuck in Airport
Since March Is Arrested
Oct 3, 2018 1:50 PM CDT
Man Stuck in Airport Since March Is Arrested
Hassan Al Kontar of Syria was trying for seven months to find a country to issue him a visa
- A Syrian man who found himself stuck in an airport for months after overstaying his Malaysian visa and subsequently refusing to return to his war-torn home country has been arrested. Per CBC , Hassan Al Kontar spent the last seven months living in the Kuala Lumpur airport and documenting on Twitter...
Trump Warns Syria,
Iran, Russia Against
Sep 4, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
Trump Warns Syria, Iran, Russia Against 'Grave Mistake'
He says 'reckless attack' on Idlib would trigger crisis
- President Trump sent a tweet Monday warning Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his allies against a "reckless attack" on Idlib province. "The Russians and Iranians would be making a grave humanitarian mistake to take part in this potential human tragedy. Hundreds of thousands of people could be killed....
Authorities Ignored Pleas for
Help for Hours, 268 Drowned
May 9, 2017 2:35 PM CDT
Authorities Ignored Pleas for Help for Hours, 268 Drowned
Leaked audio tapes reveal debate about jurisdiction while Syrian refugees sink
- Audio tapes leaked Monday reveal authorities had a chance to save the 268 Syrian refugees—including 60 children—who drowned when their boat capsized in October 2013 but instead wasted time with, as the
Times of Malta
puts it, "bureaucratic wrangling and indifference." Mohammed Jammo, a Syrian doctor...
Safe in Canada, Refugees Pay
Justin Trudeau a Sweet Thanks
May 8, 2017 10:03 AM CDT
Safe in Canada, Refugees Pay Justin Trudeau a Sweet Thanks
Afraa and Muhammad Bilan 'love' Canadian PM for their new life, name son after him
- At last count, more than 40,000 Syrian refugees had made Canada their new home since November 2015. Now the
reports that two of their number have thanked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for his efforts with the ultimate compliment: They named their baby after him. Justin Trudeau Adam...
Her Water Broke En Route
to New Life. She Told Nobody
Feb 2, 2017 12:04 PM CST
Her Water Broke En Route to New Life. She Told Nobody
Syrian mom holds off until family's safe arrival in Canada
- Ibtesam Alkarnake's water broke while traveling from a refugee camp in Jordan to her new home in Canada. But the Syrian refugee told no one, not even her husband and four children, reports the
. It was "brute determination on the mom's part to have the...
Kal Penn Turns
Racist Tweet Into
Jan 30, 2017 4:04 AM CST
Kal Penn Turns Racist Tweet Into Massive Fundraiser
More than $500K as of early Monday
- Kal Penn has just turned lemons into lemonade—some pretty darn valuable lemonade. On Saturday the actor tweeted what looked to be an Instagram comment that read in part "you don't belong in this country you f---ing joke." Penn wrote, "To the dude who said I...
Trump's Executive Order Bans
All Syrian Refugees Indefinitely
Jan 27, 2017 7:13 PM CST
Trump's Executive Order Bans All Syrian Refugees Indefinitely
It calls them 'detrimental to the interests of the United States'
- Details about President Trump's executive order on refugees and immigration are starting to be revealed.
reports the order completely shuts down the US refugee program for 120 days while it's reviewed by the State Department. There is a 90-day ban on entry to the US from...
A Moving Selfie Turned Into
'Fake News' on Facebook: Suit
Jan 13, 2017 10:20 AM CST
A Moving Selfie Turned Into 'Fake News' on Facebook: Suit
Anas Modamani says social network isn't doing enough to stop slander using his image
- The concept of "fake news" has infused itself into the regular news cycle, and now a well-known Syrian refugee says he's embroiled in it—and he's suing Facebook as a result, the
reports. Anas Modamani made headlines in September 2015 when he took a selfie with...
With $1.5M, the
Has Saved 200
Dec 22, 2016 9:46 AM CST
With $1.5M, the 'Schindler' of Canada Has Saved 200
Jim Estill has given Syrian refugees new life in Canada
- The quote near the top of the story is this: "I didn't want to be 80 years old and know that I did nothing during the greatest humanitarian crisis of my time." It's from Jim Estill, CEO of the Danby appliance company in Guelph, Ontario, and...
Kansas Woman's Topical
Christmas Card Goes Viral
Dec 19, 2016 7:17 AM CST
Kansas Woman's Topical Christmas Card Goes Viral
She invokes plight of Syrian refugees
- Whitney Roberts Logan hasn't felt quite as "merry" this season as she did when she wrote that one word on her Christmas card last year. With the number of Syrians killed in that nation's civil war estimated at near half a million, as PBS reported earlier this...
Syria 'Safe Zones'
Dec 16, 2016 1:34 AM CST
Trump Promises Syria 'Safe Zones'
Situation 'so sad,' he tells crowd at victory rally
- Donald Trump's "Thank You" tour rolled into Hershey, Pa., Thursday night, where he promised to do something to end suffering in Syria. "When I look at what's going on in Syria, it's so sad," he said, per the
New York Times
Novel Way to Deliver Aid to Sick
Refugees on Jordan Border
Oct 10, 2016 3:54 PM CDT
Novel Way to Deliver Aid to Sick Refugees on Jordan Border
Cranes may soon be delivering food, supplies to desperate camp residents
- Since mid-2014, about 75,000 Syrian refugees have been in limbo in the "berm"—what the
describes as the "no-man's land" at the border between Jordan and Syria. And since June of this year, those refugees have been living in what Doctors Without Borders has...
In Simple Act, New Syrian
Refugee Saves Bride's Big Day
Sep 30, 2016 6:22 AM CDT
In Simple Act, New Syrian Refugee Saves Bride's Big Day
Master tailor Ibrahim Haltl Dudu got to work right away on stubborn zipper
- Toronto's Jo Du was stepping into her dress on her wedding day when a small disaster struck—the zipper broke. Bridesmaids fussed over it without any success and so ventured next door to look for tools that might help. It turns out that the neighbors were hosting a refugee...
Lindsay Lohan Brings
Gifts to Syrian Refugees
Sep 27, 2016 1:24 PM CDT
Lindsay Lohan Brings Gifts to Syrian Refugees
The actress visited refugees in Turkey over the weekend
- Lindsay Lohan made an apparently secret visit to meet with Syrian refugees in Turkey over the weekend. TMZ reports the actress stopped by a hospital near Istanbul Sunday. She was accompanied by Abdurrahim Boynukalin, Turkey's youth and sports deputy minister, according the AP . He says Lohan offered to volunteer...
Plea to Adopt
Sep 22, 2016 10:03 AM CDT
6-Year-Old's Plea to Adopt Syrian Boy Goes Viral
'We should all be more like Alex,' says Obama
- The image of a Syrian boy covered in blood after an airstrike in Aleppo touched many—including 6-year-old Alex. In a letter to President Obama, Alex asks that the president "please go get" 5-year-old Omran Daqneesh and bring him to his family's home in New York. "We...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.