Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Rare Copy of Forbidden
Text on Jesus Found
Dec 1, 2017 6:43 AM CST
Rare Copy of Forbidden Text on Jesus Found
Written centuries after the First Apocalypse of James was excluded from New Testament
- A complete copy of a heretical biblical text that purports to describe conversations between Jesus and his brother James has been discovered in its earliest known form. The forbidden writing, dubbed the First Apocalypse of James, wasn't included in the 27-book New Testament established in 367. It was one...
He's 39 and Unemployed
—and Blames Oxford
Nov 22, 2017 8:19 AM CST
He's 39 and Unemployed —and Blames Oxford
Court win for Faiz Siddiqui could 'open the floodgates'
- Seventeen years later, Faiz Siddiqui is still peeved about a poor grade he got in university—so peeved, in fact, that he's suing his former school for $1.3 million. At the High Court in London on Tuesday, a lawyer described how Siddiqui's dream of becoming an international...
Leading Islamic Scholar
Accused of Raping 2 Women
Nov 8, 2017 12:49 AM CST
Leading Islamic Scholar Accused of Raping 2 Women
Tariq Ramadan is on leave of absence from Oxford
- One of the world's leading Islamic scholars is on a leave of absence from the University of Oxford amid allegations that he raped two women. Tariq Ramadan, the Swiss-born grandson of Muslim Brotherhood founder Hassan al-Banna, has denied the allegations made by the two women in France and filed...
If This Is Malala, She's Taking
a Lot of Heat for This Photo
Oct 19, 2017 6:11 AM CDT
If This Is Malala, She's Taking a Lot of Heat for This Photo
Commenters are bashing woman resembling Pakistani activist for her Western-style clothing
- Malala Yousafzai has fought for women's rights and children's education rights, and now she may have to speak out on her right to wear whatever she wants. The
reports that the 20-year-old Oxford University student and Nobel Prize laureate, who fell under the international limelight after she...
These Are the 10 Best
Universities in the World
Sep 5, 2017 2:40 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Best Universities in the World
Oxford is No. 1, while top US schools are Caltech, Stanford in third place
- The US is well represented on a new ranking of the world's best universities, but Britain has a hold on the top two spots. Education industry magazine Times Higher Education puts Oxford and Cambridge at the top of the pack for best overall university, though
notes that uncertainty...
Sleep More Than
9 Hours? You May Have
Aug 1, 2017 10:29 AM CDT
Sleep More Than 9 Hours? You May Have More Nightmares
Oxford researchers tie bad dreams to too much sleep
- Nightmares after a traumatizing experience might not have anything to do with stress. That's just one surprising finding to come out of what
calls "one of the largest ever studies of nightmares in the general population." To better understand why some people who've suffered...
Court May Grant
May 18, 2017 11:15 AM CDT
Court May Grant 'Extraordinary' Student Get-Out-of-Jail-Free Card
She may not be punished for stabbing her boyfriend
- An Oxford University student who admitted to stabbing her boyfriend may avoid jail time after a judge determined that legal consequences could damage her future career as a surgeon. According to the
, last year Lavinia Woodward punched and then stabbed her then-boyfriend in the leg with a bread knife...
Busted: Longtime Myth
About Women's Periods
Apr 14, 2017 9:08 AM CDT
Busted: Longtime Myth About Women's Periods
Women's periods don't sync up, even if they live together, scientists say
- Sorry, ladies, but your roommate, sister, or female partner doesn't have an "alpha uterus" that's causing your menstrual cycle to align with hers. That's per a new study by period-tracking app Clue , which joined with University of Oxford scientists to determine if there was any truth...
What WWII Bomb?
UK Keeps Calm,
Race Carries on
Apr 2, 2017 6:57 AM CDT
What WWII Bomb? UK Keeps Calm, Race Carries on
Oxford-Cambridge boat race is still happening after unexploded bomb found in Thames
- British police say the hotly contested annual Oxford-Cambridge boat race is likely to proceed as planned despite the discovery of what police suspect is an unexploded World War II-era bomb near the start of the race on the River Thames. The suspected bomb was discovered by a member of the...
Oxford Grad Sues University
Over His Failed Law Career
Dec 6, 2016 4:32 PM CST
Oxford Grad Sues University Over His Failed Law Career
Faiz Siddiqui wants $1.27M because Oxford had 'appallingly bad' teaching
- An Oxford University graduate says the prestigious school's "appallingly bad" teaching is why he failed to become a successful lawyer, so he's suing it for $1.27 million, the
reports. Faiz Siddiqui graduated Oxford in 2000 with a degree in modern history and later studied...
3 Alarming Stats From Florida
Under 'Stand Your Ground'
Nov 15, 2016 11:32 AM CST
3 Alarming Stats From Florida Under 'Stand Your Ground'
Homicides have spiked, including those of African-Americans
- For years, people have claimed "Stand Your Ground" laws have led to an increase in violence . A new
study suggests their observations were right, at least in Florida. It finds homicides in the state spiked 24% from 82 per month from 1999 to October 2005, when Florida's...
When We Have
Kids, How Many
May Be Partly
Nov 2, 2016 9:05 AM CDT
When We Have Kids, How Many May Be Partly Genetic
DNA variants can also predict probability of a woman remaining childless
- For the first time, scientists have identified areas of DNA—specifically, 12—associated with reproductive habits, in this case the age when men and women have their first kid and how many kids they have. Reporting in the journal
, researchers at the University of Oxford analyzed more than...
The World's 10
Sep 22, 2016 9:27 AM CDT
The World's 10 Best Universities
Oxford overtakes Cal Tech
- The world has a new top university. Oxford has pushed the California Institute of Technology—which held the top spot for the past five years—to second place in the 2016 World University Rankings , based on research impact, reputation, and global scholarship. This marks the first time in the list'...
Giant Helium Field Found
Jun 28, 2016 10:19 AM CDT
'Game Changer': Giant Helium Field Found
A 'globally significant' find that could boost world supply of precious gas
- What scientists are calling a "game changer" for society has been discovered deep in Tanzania's Rift Valley: a massive helium gas field with enough of the precious commodity to fill more than 1.2 million MRI scanners, Phys.org reports. Besides the sheer amount of gas, the discovery...
Prof Solves 300-Year-Old
Math Mystery, Wins $700K
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 20, 2016 6:51 AM CDT
Prof Solves 300-Year-Old Math Mystery, Wins $700K
Oxford professor had been trying to crack Fermat's Last Theorem since he was a boy
- An Oxford professor is now $700,000 richer for solving a 300-year-old math mystery, the
reports. In 1994, Andrew Wiles, 62, cracked Fermat's Last Theorem, which was put forth by 17th-century mathematician Pierre de Fermat. Wiles will be traveling to Oslo, Norway, in May to collect the 2016...
Shia LaBeouf Is
Stuck in an
Feb 19, 2016 1:04 PM CST
Shia LaBeouf Is Stuck in an Elevator— on Purpose
And he's livestreaming the whole thing
- Trapped in an elevator for 24 hours with Shia LaBeouf. Sound like the stuff of nightmares? Not for the Oxford students currently lining up to ride the lift with the actor-turned-performance-artist. The Verge reports LaBeouf is spending a full day inside a university elevator, inviting people to ride with him,...
This Is the World's
Oct 7, 2015 9:27 AM CDT
This Is the World's Top University
Yup, Harvard leads the pack yet again
- Harvard University is the best university in the world, according to
' ranking of 750 universities around the globe. Harvard, which also topped the Best Global Universities rankings in 2014, kept the top spot despite an additional 250 schools that were evaluated this time around. Not only does...
With Eyes Shut,
We Can't Tell
Our Toes Apart
Sep 22, 2015 11:17 AM CDT
With Eyes Shut, We Can't Tell Our Toes Apart
Many people can't differentiate in new study
- This little piggy went to market—or was it that little piggy? According to researchers at Oxford University, it may be hard for people to tell which toe is which if their eyes are closed and someone's touching their lower digits—a condition called agnosia, AFP reports. In a...
7 Best Quotes
From Kanye West,
Mar 3, 2015 10:48 AM CST
7 Best Quotes From Kanye West, Oxford Lecturer
'It's still February, right?'
- Kanye West's latest gig: Oxford lecturer. The rapper gave a guest lecture at the storied university yesterday, speaking to 350 students at the school's Museum of Natural History for a half-hour. Vulture has the full transcript. Highlights:
"OK, everyone please be completely quiet, because I can literally
Weird Battery Still Runs
175 Years Later
Jan 26, 2015 5:10 PM CST
Weird Battery Still Runs 175 Years Later
The Oxford Electric Bell has rung about 10B times
- Like scientific mysteries? Then check out the Oxford Electric Bell, a battery-powered device that's still ringing 175 years after it was made, the Smithsonian reports. Sitting in the Clarendon Laboratory at Oxford University, it makes a little metal ball move swiftly back and forth between two bells. How its...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cyclist Charged After Teen Girls' Prank Goes Awry
Wynonna Judd Breaks Silence on Naomi's Suicide
In Russia, School Shooting Leaves 13 Dead
Girl, 12, Shot Father, Self in Murder Pact With Friend: Cops
Texts Show More Alleged Bad Behavior From Brett Favre
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.