Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Photographer Loses Award
Over Bizarre Allegation
Apr 27, 2018 12:04 PM CDT
Photographer Loses Award Over Bizarre Allegation
Marcio Cabral accused of putting a stuffed anteater into his wildlife image
- It's that moment every wildlife photographer hopes for: an image in which the resident fauna wanders perfectly into frame. And that supposedly happened to such great effect for Marcio Cabral in Brazil's Emas National Park that his photo "The Night Raider," which depicts an anteater staring...
They Called CPS on 'Free Hugs'
Boy's Family. Then, Tragedy
Mar 30, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
They Called CPS on 'Free Hugs' Boy's Family. Then, Tragedy
'I was trying to … protect them and this is the result,' neighbor says after fatal car crash
- The search is still on for 15-year-old Devonte Hart and two of his siblings after the SUV they were believed to be in with their adoptive parents and three other siblings went over a cliff in California (those five were found dead at the scene). But it's allegations about...
Some of Earliest US Landscape
Photos Are Going on Display
Sep 24, 2017 5:03 PM CDT
Some of Earliest US Landscape Photos Are Going on Display
And trip to New Orleans could be only chance to see them ever
- Some of the oldest daguerreotypes and photographs of US landscapes are about to go on display in New Orleans, as part of the first exhibit and study of such landscapes made east of the Mississippi River, the AP reports. Photographs of vast, unspoiled Western vistas are well known, many of...
Viral Pic of 'Nightmare'
Jul 21, 2017 12:32 PM CDT
Viral Pic of 'Nightmare' JetBlue Passenger Takes Flight
'The toes were in full wiggle,' horrified woman tweets
- When your pilot announces your flight's cruising altitude of 35,000 feet, that shouldn't be a
-like cue for someone's actual feet to emerge. It's not clear if that's why Jessie Char suddenly found a fellow passenger's tootsies poking into her row of...
A Loaf-Sized Robot
Just Took This
Jul 21, 2017 10:08 AM CDT
A Loaf-Sized Robot Just Took This Important Photo
Locating melted fuel at Fukushima is key, and this is believed to be it
- An underwater robot captured images of lava-like lumps Thursday inside a damaged reactor at Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant , spotting for the first time what is believed to be nuclear fuel that melted six years ago. Locating the fuel in each of the three wrecked reactors is crucial for...
Earhart Investigators: This
Photo Proves She Survived
Jul 5, 2017 11:40 AM CDT
Earhart Investigators: This Photo Proves She Survived
Documentary suggests National Archives image shows her and Fred Noonan
- A new
documentary floats one of the most provocative theories yet about Amelia Earhart: The show focuses on a newly surfaced photo that some think proves she and navigator Fred Noonan survived their 1937 plane crash. Investigators with the documentary say the image shows Earhart sitting on a dock...
Photographer Makes Exciting
Find in Undeveloped Film
Jun 17, 2017 1:04 PM CDT
Photographer Makes Exciting Find in Undeveloped Film
Kati Dimoff discovers unseen shots of Mount St. Helens erupting
- Kati Dimoff, a photographer in Portland, Oregon, buys old cameras and develops the rolls of film she finds inside as a bit of a hobby, KATU reports. But one exciting recent find set off a local mystery: shots of Mount St. Helens' 1980 volcanic eruption. On Instagram , Dimoff says she...
Astronaut's Pics of Belgium
Are Beautiful—and Bothersome
May 12, 2017 8:01 AM CDT
Astronaut's Pics of Belgium Are Beautiful—and Bothersome
Country leaves most of its streetlights on all night long, and it's obvious from space
- After Thomas Pesquet gets off work and completes his exercise routine, he often whiles away his evenings with his camera, taking pictures he thinks others will enjoy—and those images recently exposed to the entire world the odd obsession Belgium has with leaving its lights on all night long. Pesquet,...
Photos Show Lindbergh
on Brink of Making History
May 9, 2017 11:24 AM CDT
Photos Show Lindbergh on Brink of Making History
Images rediscovered after 90 years
- Photos tucked away for 90 years in a California newspaper's archives portray Charles Lindbergh just weeks before he made the first nonstop solo airplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean, reports the AP . The
San Diego Union-Tribune
on Sunday released never-before-published shots of Lindbergh from April 28, 1927. Harry Bishop,...
Protester in Famous
May 5, 2017 11:56 AM CDT
Protester in Famous Ferguson Photo Is Dead
Edward Crawford died Thursday of self-inflicted gunshot wound
- A Ferguson protester seen hurling a police tear gas canister in a famous 2014 photo has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The father of 26-year-old Edward Crawford confirmed he died Thursday, per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
. According to St. Louis police, a man was in a car with two...
His Match: A Girl Scout
May 4, 2017 11:51 AM CDT
Neo-Nazi Meets His Match: A Girl Scout
Lucie Myslíková, 16, applauded for her courage
- Confronted with a neo-Nazi in the Czech Republic, a 16-year-old Girl Scout stood her ground, engaging the man in a heated debate. But it's a "powerful" photo of the exchange that now has people talking, per
. Police tell the
some 150 neo-Nazis had gathered for...
'Defiant' Woman Grins Down
in case you missed it
Apr 15, 2017 5:24 PM CDT
'Defiant' Woman Grins Down Far-Right Protester
Saffiyah Khan did not give a whit when English Defence League leader got cranky
- Around 100 demonstrators representing a far-right UK group gathered Saturday in Birmingham, provoking a presence by law enforcement, counter-protesters, and a photo that's now being shared worldwide. The
reports on the viral image, which was taken when local Saffiyah Khan noticed some English Defence League protesters circling a...
Someone Just Paid $162K for
This 'Remarkable' Tubman Pic
Mar 30, 2017 1:23 PM CDT
Someone Just Paid $162K for This 'Remarkable' Tubman Pic
Most photos of the anti-slavery crusader show her as an elderly woman—not this one
- A rare photograph of 19th-century abolitionist and Underground Railroad hero Harriet Tubman has been sold at a New York City auction for $162,500. Swann Galleries says the circa late-1860s image sold Thursday for a hammer price of $130,000, plus a $32,500 auctioneer fee, the AP reports. The...
This Defiant, Deadly Image Is
World Press Photo of the Year
Feb 13, 2017 6:26 AM CST
This Defiant, Deadly Image Is World Press Photo of the Year
Burhan Ozbilici takes top honors
- "An incredibly hard-hitting news photograph" has taken top honors at the 2017 World Press Photo competition. Associated Press photographer Burhan Ozbilici won Monday, with jurors and colleagues lauding his courage and composure in capturing his image of a gun-wielding off-duty Turkish policeman standing over the body of Russia's...
Ethic to Shame
Dec 14, 2016 12:04 PM CST
Chick-fil-A Worker Puts Everyone Else's Work Ethic to Shame
Teen Jakeem Tyler worked in spite of car-crash injuries to raise money for homeless
- When Cameron Nelson stopped off at an Indiana Chick-fil-A to grab a bite last week, he was surprised by the person he found behind the counter: a teenager working hard with one arm in a sling and a neck brace on. That teen was Jakeem Tyler, and his dedication to...
In 'Hideous' Photo, Cop Gives
Thumbs-Up Over Dead Body
Nov 8, 2016 9:17 AM CST
In 'Hideous' Photo, Cop Gives Thumbs-Up Over Dead Body
Lawyer for dead man's mother says a lawsuit is coming
- A "hideous" photo of a St. Louis police officer is drawing comparisons to photos from Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison , reports BuzzFeed . Leaked to KMOV , it shows a smiling officer giving a thumbs-up as he holds the limp arm of 28-year-old Omar Rahman, a black man who died of...
Pakistan Denies Bail
for Iconic 'Afghan Girl'
Nov 2, 2016 7:33 AM CDT
Pakistan Denies Bail for Iconic 'Afghan Girl'
Sharbat Gula, of 'National Geographic' cover fame, charged with impersonating a Pakistani
- In 1985, the green-eyed "Afghan Girl" became famous worldwide as the haunting cover model for
. In 2016, Sharbat Gula (spelled Gulla in some sources) is making headlines once again after she was arrested last week in Pakistan for allegedly harboring fake ID papers—and this week, a...
Syria's President Says
This Iconic Photo Is Fake
Oct 21, 2016 6:06 AM CDT
Syria's President Says This Iconic Photo Is Fake
Interviewer confronts Assad with haunting image
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad apparently believes there's such a big shortage of injured children in his country that people have to forge photos of them. In an interview with a Swiss television station this week, the leader was confronted with a haunting photo of 5-year-old Omran Daqneesh , who was...
Does This Photo Show
Young Pickpocket in Action?
Sep 27, 2016 8:14 AM CDT
Does This Photo Show Young Pickpocket in Action?
Reddit thinks yes, parents say no
- An interesting post on Reddit is drawing attention as either a warning to tourists or warning about jumping to conclusions. As the
recounts, the story goes like this: A man and his girlfriend got back from a trip to Thailand and couldn't figure out what happened to the...
Hug Felt 'Round
Sep 25, 2016 2:10 PM CDT
Hug Felt 'Round the World Goes Viral
'Unlikely friends' George W. Bush, Michelle Obama photographed in embrace
- A reunion of "two unlikely friends" happened Saturday during the dedication of DC's National Museum of African American History and Culture , per CNN —and the photo of Michelle Obama's embrace of George W. Bush has now become a "powerful image … for the ages,"...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Trump at State AG Deposition: I Plead the Fifth
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Family: Body at Wake Reeked, Face 'Looked Like It Was Caved In'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.