Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Major Bone in
Aug 19, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Climber Breaks Nearly Every Major Bone in Fall, Survives
New Zealand's Anna Parsons is recuperating after terrifying 80-foot plunge on Half Dome
- Anna Parsons and her climbing partner, Jack Evans, had exciting plans before they headed from their native New Zealand to foreign exchange programs in Canada: The pair, who'd met as marine science students at the University of Otago, were going to fly to the US, then scale some rocks...
They Skied, Rappeled
Down 'Death Slabs'
for a Half Dome First
Mar 1, 2021 11:35 AM CST
They Skied, Rappeled Down 'Death Slabs' for a Half Dome First
Jason Torlano, Zach Milligan seem to be first ones to ski entire 4.8K feet from peak to Yosemite Valley
- Two skiers navigated a thin layer of snow with no margin for error down the precipitous shoulder of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park and alternately skied and rappelled back to the valley floor in an unusually daring feat, per the AP . Jason Torlano, 45, and Zach Milligan, 40, completed...
Woman Falls to Her
Death From Half Dome
Sep 7, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Woman Falls to Her Death From Half Dome
Danielle Burnett, 29, fell more than 500 feet while using mountain's cables, Yosemite officials say
- A 29-year-old Arizona woman tumbled to her death this week while ascending Yosemite National Park's Half Dome using the mountain's famous metal cables. Per CBS5 , park officials say Danielle Burnett was climbing the steepest part of the granite mound just before noon on Thursday when she fell down...
A Storm, Then
a Slip on Iconic
May 23, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
A Storm, Then a Slip on Iconic Yosemite Peak
Male hiker died in fall Monday
- A hiker exploring California's Yosemite National Park died Monday when he slipped from cables leading to the 8,800-foot peak of its famed Half Dome. The man was climbing the last 400 feet of the summit with the help of installed metal cables when he slipped during a thunderstorm...
Jul 7, 2015 3:45 PM CDT
Rock Fall Alters Renowned Yosemite Climb
Those going up Half Dome will have to adjust route
- A massive sheet of rock has fallen from the vertical face of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park, making one of the most popular routes attempted by climbers in North America even more challenging. The granite sheet that peeled off measured roughly 100 by 200 feet. It was discovered by...
Hiker Plunges to Her
Death at Yosemite
Aug 2, 2011 7:17 AM CDT
Hiker Plunges to Her Death at Yosemite
Hiker Hayley LaFlamme was descending Half Dome
- Less than two weeks after three hikers were swept over Vernal Fall , another woman has died at Yosemite National Park. Hayley LaFlamme, 26, had reached the Half Dome summit—a treacherous hike that can take as long as 12 hours to finish—and was descending Sunday when she reportedly lost...
Popular on Newser
Cyclist Charged After Teen Girls' Prank Goes Awry
In Russia, School Shooting Leaves 13 Dead
Wynonna Judd Breaks Silence on Naomi's Suicide
Surfing Legend Dies in 'One-Punch' Assault
Girl, 12, Shot Father, Self in Murder Pact With Friend: Cops
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.