Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
A Michelin Star First in France
Jan 19, 2021 1:50 AM CST
A Michelin Star First in France
Vegan restaurant wins a star
- A vegan restaurant in France has been awarded a Michelin star, a first for the legendary eatery honors. ONA, which stands for Origine Non Animale, was launched in Ares, near Bordeaux, in 2016 after a crowdfunding campaign and a loan from a green bank—because traditional banks in the country...
Dec 31, 2019 1:21 PM CST
Chef Loses Unusual Court Fight Over Critique
Marc Veyrat sued the Michelin Guide when it demoted his restaurant
- Some chefs don't care about getting three stars in the Michelin Guide. French chef Marc Veyrat cares very much. So much, in fact, that he took Michelin to court to force a full explanation of why his restaurant got demoted from three stars to two. The court, however, has...
Chef Takes Fight Over
Michelin Star to Court
Nov 28, 2019 4:31 AM CST
Chef Takes Fight Over Michelin Star to Court
He says inspectors slandered his soufflé
- A chef in France is suing the Michelin guide for downgrading his rating by a star, complaining that the prestigious guide sent inspectors so incompetent that they thought his "virtual scallops" were "real coquilles Saint-Jacques when they were made from a base of burbot livers from Lake Geneva"...
Famous Chef Says This Spice
Cost Him a Michelin Star
Sep 25, 2019 8:27 AM CDT
Famous Chef Says This Spice Cost Him a Michelin Star
France's Marc Veyrat says saffron fooled inspector into thinking pedestrian cheese was used
- Marc Veyrat is world renowned, recognized for both his wild herb-based fare and his trademark look—a "wide-brimmed black Savoyard hat and smoke-tinted glasses," per the
. What the 69-year-old French chef doesn't want to be known for, however, is losing a coveted star in the Michelin...
Jan 28, 2019 9:04 AM CST
Chef Unhappy With Michelin Rankings for Surprising Reason
Sebastien Bras doesn't want the honor
- Sebastien Bras is a world-renowned chef who stunned the culinary world when he asked the Michelin Guide to keep him and his Le Suquet restaurant out of its pages. The folks at Michelin granted the first-of-its-kind request, and there was no sign of Le Suquet in the 2018 guide—even...
Chef Makes an
Michelin Grants It
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 4, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Chef Makes an Unusual Request, Michelin Grants It
It has allowed Sebastien Bras to give up his stars
- In an unprecedented move, the Michelin guide allowed a three-star chef to withdraw his restaurant from its prestigious listings on Tuesday. Sebastien Bras had announced in September that he didn't want Le Suquet restaurant in southern France to figure in the guide anymore because of the huge pressure involved....
Michelin Has Spoken:
NYC No Longer
US Culinary Capital
In Case You Missed It
Nov 4, 2017 9:28 AM CDT
Michelin Has Spoken: NYC No Longer US Culinary Capital
San Francisco reigns over NYC in 3-star Michelin restaurants
- No longer is New York City the culinary capital of America, based on restaurants with three Michelin stars. The 2018 Michelin Guide for New York City, released Monday, gives only five of the city’s restaurants the coveted three-star rating, down from six last year. Meanwhile, the 2018 Michelin Guide...
Michelin Star Is Great Honor
One Hotel No Longer Wants
Sep 29, 2017 4:47 PM CDT
Michelin Star Is Great Honor One Hotel No Longer Wants
Boath House joins French chef in asking to have stars removed
- People haven't distanced themselves from a star this quickly since Mel Gibson. The BBC reports a week after a top French chef asked for his three Michelin stars to be removed , a luxury hotel in Scotland made the same request of the star it's held for the past...
Tokyo Is World's
Nov 28, 2012 11:02 AM CST
Tokyo Is World's Gourmet Capital: Michelin
...for the 6th year in a row
- Want a fancypants meal—or 15? Head to Tokyo, which has more three-Michelin-star restaurants than any city in the world ... again. The top honor goes to Tokyo for the sixth year running (it overtook Paris in 2007 ), reports Reuters , with 15 restaurants claiming the maximum number of stars. Bloomberg...
to Beat Paris as
Sep 28, 2012 8:07 AM CDT
London Poised to Beat Paris as Foodie Haven: Michelin Boss
City now home to 60 restaurants with Michelin stars
- Looks like London's not just meat and potatoes anymore. After 16 British restaurants got their first Michelin star yesterday and three their second, the city is rivaling Paris as a destination for fine dining. In total, London boasts 60 starred restaurants; four of those have three stars and eight...
Japan Eclipses France
as Culinary King
Oct 21, 2011 4:14 PM CDT
Japan Eclipses France as Culinary King
But skeptics take issue with Michelin Guide assessment
- Japan has overtaken France as the fine dining capital of the world—at least according to the latest
, reports ABC News . The newly released 2012 edition of the influential guide has bestowed 29 Japanese eateries with a 3-star rating—the highest possible grade—compared with 25 in France....
Popular on Newser
Pete Rose on Sex Misconduct Claims: '55 Years Ago, Babe'
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Top US General Vowed to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Trump: FBI Has Raided 'My Beautiful Home'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.