Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Birdwatcher Held 7 Years
Is Killed During Rescue Raid
May 31, 2019 9:09 AM CDT
Birdwatcher Held 7 Years Is Killed During Rescue Raid
Dutch photographer Ewold Horn was kidnapped by militants in Philippines in 2012
- He'd survived seven years of captivity by militants in the jungle in the Philippines, but Ewold Horn did not live through a daring rescue attempt by soldiers. The 59-year-old Dutch birdwatcher/photographer was killed when Filipino soldiers engaged in a 90-minute firefight with Abu Sayyaf militants on the island of...
Duterte Vows to 'Crush
Who Bombed Church
Jan 27, 2019 9:21 AM CST
Duterte Vows to 'Crush Godless Criminals' Who Bombed Church
20 dead as twin bombs go off during Mass at cathedral
- Two bombs tore through a Roman Catholic cathedral on a southern Philippine island where Muslim militants are active, killing at least 20 people and wounding 111 others during Sunday Mass. Witnesses said the first blast inside the Jolo cathedral sent churchgoers, some wounded, to stampede out the main door. Army...
Philippines: Militant Who
Ordered Beheadings Killed
Apr 12, 2017 12:56 AM CDT
Philippines: Militant Who Ordered Beheadings Killed
Abu Sayyaf commander was planning more kidnappings
- Philippine troops battling militants in a central province killed a key Abu Sayyaf commander who'd been blamed for the beheadings of two Canadians and a German hostage and was apparently attempting another kidnapping mission, the country's military chief says. Gen. Eduardo Ano, the military's chief of staff,...
Militants Behead Sailor
Who Was Kidnapped Twice
Feb 28, 2017 6:01 AM CST
Militants Behead Sailor Who Was Kidnapped Twice
Kantner survived pirate abduction in 2008
- A German man who resumed sailing around the world after being released by Somali pirates in 2008 has been murdered by militants in the Philippines who kidnapped him a second time . The extremist group Abu Sayyaf has released video of the beheading of 70-year-old Juergen Kantner, who was kidnapped while...
Nov 8, 2016 10:51 AM CST
Couple Abducted by Pirates—Again
Sabine Merz reportedly killed, Jürgen Kantner seized in Philippines
- A German couple who's spent four decades sailing the world has apparently been abducted by pirates for a second time, with what appears to be a fatal result. Jürgen Kantner and Sabine Merz—who were held by Somali pirates for 52 days in 2008, until a six-figure ransom...
2nd Canadian Hostage
Jun 14, 2016 12:32 AM CDT
Militants Behead 2nd Canadian Hostage
Captors in the Philippines demanded huge ransom
- Philippine officials confirmed Tuesday that Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded a Canadian man, the second Canadian hostage to be killed in two months after demands for a large ransom were not met. The hostage, Robert Hall, was abducted from a marina last September along with another Canadian, a Norwegian, and a...
Apr 26, 2016 12:52 AM CDT
Militants Behead Canadian Hostage
He was kidnapped in the Philippines 7 months ago
- The head of a Canadian man kidnapped by militants in the Philippines was dumped on a street Monday after a deadline to deliver an $8 million ransom expired. John Ridsdel, a 68-year-old mining consultant from Saskatchewan, was seized by Abu Sayyaf militants in a raid on an isolated resort last...
ISIS Widow Charged
in Kayla Mueller's Death
Feb 9, 2016 5:33 AM CST
ISIS Widow Charged in Kayla Mueller's Death
Sayyaf was captured in raid that killed her husband
- The widow of an ISIS commander killed in an American raid last year could be spending the rest of her life in a US prison for her brutal mistreatment of American hostage Kayla Mueller and other captives, federal prosecutors say. Umm Sayyaf, a 25-year-old Iraqi woman captured in the raid...
Dec 12, 2011 12:03 AM CST
Kidnapped US Teen Outwits Terrorist Captors
Al-Qaeda-linked thugs held Kevin Lunsmann five months
- A 14-year-old American hostage managed to outwit his terrorist captors and flee to freedom in a Philippines jungle. Kevin Lunsmann, who had been held captive for five months by a group likely linked to al-Qaeda, wandered for two days before he was discovered by villagers, reports ABC News . "I...
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.