Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
King of Spain's Brother-in-Law
Heads to Prison
Jun 18, 2018 12:03 AM CDT
King of Spain's Brother-in-Law Heads to Prison
Inaki Urdangarin was jailed for $7M embezzlement
- Spanish prison authorities say that the brother-in-law of Spain's King Felipe VI has begun serving a nearly six-year sentence for fraud and tax evasion . An official with the Interior Ministry's prison management division says Inaki Urdangarin arrived Monday morning at a prison near Avila, about 60 miles north...
Spanish Princess's Husband
Ordered to Head to Prison
Jun 13, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Spanish Princess's Husband Ordered to Head to Prison
Supreme Court upheld Inaki Urdangarin's conviction on Tuesday
- Judicial authorities on Wednesday told the brother-in-law of Spain's King Felipe VI that he must report to a prison within five days to serve five years and 10 months for fraud and tax evasion, among other crimes. Inaki Urdangarin, a former Olympic handball medal winner who has been married...
Won't Be a Spanish
Feb 17, 2017 11:00 AM CST
Spanish Princess Won't Be a Spanish Prisoner
Princess Cristina was found not guilty in tax case, but her husband is going to prison
- In a tax fraud case that captivated Spain, Princess Cristina was found not guilty Friday of being an accessory to fraud, but her husband was convicted and sentenced to more than six years in prison. A panel of judges ruled that Cristina, the 51-year-old sister of King Felipe VI, has...
Goes on Trial
Jan 11, 2016 12:07 AM CST
Spanish Princess Goes on Trial for Fraud
Landmark case could sent Cristina to prison for 8 years
- Princess Cristina and her husband arrived at court on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca on Monday for the start of a historic trial that marks the first time a member of Spain's royal family has faced criminal charges since the monarchy was restored in 1975. The 50-year-old Cristina is...
Apr 3, 2013 10:44 AM CDT
Spanish Princess Suspected in Fraud Case
1st time modern Spain has seen royal suspect called to testify
- For the first time since Spain re-adopted democracy in the 1970s, a member of its royal family has been summoned for testimony as a criminal suspect. Princess Cristina, King Juan Carlos' youngest daughter, is suspected in a case related to her husband's financial dealings. Iñaki Urdangarin allegedly moved...
King of Spain
Dec 13, 2011 3:52 AM CST
King of Spain Suspends Son-in-Law
Duke accused of scamming nonprofit organization
- The king of Spain has barred his scandal-hit son-in-law from representing the crown while allegations of corruption are considered. Inaki Urdangarin, a former Olympic handball player who married the king's daughter, is accused of siphoning of millions of dollars in public funds from a nonprofit sporting foundation he ran,...
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Hate Mail Flooded In After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.